It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2006, 10:06 AM   #1
(male)

Tokra HB User
Glandular Fever

Hi, this is my first post on here but Ive looked through and found things very helpful.

My girlfriend has been feeling exhausted and really down for about a week now, so I got her to visit the doctors on Thursday. She did, we were suspicious that she was pregnant but it was to early to tell and has to take another test this week.

She went out last night but only had 2 alcoholic drinks and then was on water in case she was pregnant. Today she had to go see the emergency doctor and has been told she has glandular fever. I didnt know untill she rang me about 8am in tears telling me how bad she felt.

I was just wondering if there was any advice about how I can help her out to make her feel just that little bit better. Also I was curious if she is pregnant, is there anything that could affect the baby?

Any help with this would be greatly appriecated. Thanks.

Old 03-04-2006, 11:14 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

_mystictiger_ HB User
Re: Glandular Fever

Hi Tokra.

I too have Glandular Fever. Did your girlfriend have a bood test for Glandular Fever? If she didn't she needs one to be certain if she does actually have this. Some doctors throw out diagnosis without having any medical confirmation via a blood test. So the blood test is a must. Also a test for Anemia would be a good idea.

Basically Glandular Fever is caught by coming into contact with a persons mucus. This can be by kissing someone, or a infected person sneezing or coughing over her or even sharing a drink with a infected person. Saliva contains the Glandular Fever.

Glandular Fever is caused by the EBV. EBV is Epstein-Barr Virus. Everyone gets EBV at some point in their life. Its usually caught during childhood but some adults do get EBV. Once you get EBV and it becomes worse it will go into Glandular Fever. So basically if you have Glandular Fever, you have EBV to. You shoud get tested for GF also as you may of gave it her or she could of passed it on to you. It is contaigious. Its basically a virus that attacks your lymph nodes and immunity to viruses and infection.

When you have GF you need to sleep quite a lot because your always tired. You can have EBV or GF WITHOUT any symptoms. The lucky ones dont have the symptoms. Also people with GF shouldn't lift anything because their spleen may be enlarged and lifting heavy objects can cause a injury or rupture to the spleen. GF will go on its own. No medication will help with the symptoms but perhaps herbal tablets may help. Some people with GF have claimed that herbal tablets help ease their symptoms.

Basically when ever your girlfriend is tried, get her to sleep. If she's thirsty, make her drink something and always make her eat normally. The more sleep, fluids and nourishment she receives the better she will feel. She will probably catch a lot of colds and viruses because of the Glandular Fever. This is normal. We all get that. Her temperature may go high and be normal at others times. This is normal hence the name "fever."

Glandular Fever usually becomes symptomatic 5-7 weeks after "catching" it. It also takes about 2-3 months for Glandular Fever to disappear. But a blood test is a MUST to confirm it.

As for her being pregnant. I'm not certain if Glandular Fever will affect her pregnancy. It shouldn't do but if she stops eating and drinking fluids and becomes very ill and dehydrated then this could affect the pregnancy in this way. But as for Glandular Fever harming the baby then I dont see this happening unless in the above situation.

Drinking alcohol with Glandular Fever wont help at all. It certainly wont help with the pregnancy. Remember if she is pregnant, its early days and because of this everything she is consuming food wise and drink wise is being pumped straight into the baby. The baby needs food and drinks that will help it to develop and grow and form into a small person. Alcohol wont do this. It can do a lot of damamge especially during such a early time into her pregnacy where it is too early to do a pregnancy test.

The quickest way of finding out for certain if shes pregnant is by seeing her doctor and asking for a Quantitative beta hcg blood test. This will measure the amount of HCG present in her blood and is highly accurate.

Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-04-2006, 12:15 PM   #3
(male)

Tokra HB User

Thanks for all the info _mystictiger_, yes the doctor took a blood test from her this afternoon. So hopefully it will either be confirmed or ruled out. Also I remember her telling me the doctor said she had low blood pressure.

As for her drinking, I told her not to but I wasnt out with her and Im guessin her work colleagues persuaded her as it was her last staff party before she leaves. But Im gonna be watching her like a hawk now lol.

At the moment she isnt living with me so Im gonna try and get her to move in whilst shes ill so I can keep an eye on her more. I know what she is like, from what she has told me she cant even get out of bed so she probably isnt eating or drinking much.

I've started to feel like Im catching a cold or something though. Its only come up today, just feelin tired, sore throat and coughing a lot. But that could be anything. I wouldnt have thought about going to get myself checked out. I'll get that done hopefully next week.

Thanks for the advice, I'm glad I found this place now.

Old 03-04-2006, 02:51 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User

I was told absolutely no drinking when I had it. It can cause complications with the liver. Definitely make sure she gets enough fluids and food. Other than that, all she can do is sleep as much as she needs to.

Old 03-04-2006, 02:56 PM   #5
(male)

Tokra HB User

Well I think I can safely say, she wont be drinking alocohol for a long time now Im starting to feel really ill too

Old 03-04-2006, 06:29 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Constant HB User

I'm assuming you both are from outside of the United States. This disease in the U.S. is referred to as infectious mononucleosis or mono for short.

Old 03-05-2006, 01:53 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

_mystictiger_ HB User

Your welcome Tokra. Keep up her fluids and food intake and make her rest as much as possible. Same thing goes for you. Take it easy. It does take around 7 weeks after being infected with Mono/Glandular Fever for a blood test to show up positive. Weird huh?

But definitely get yourself checked for this and take care.

Old 03-05-2006, 01:55 PM   #8
(male)

Tokra HB User

Cheers hun and thanks again for the advice, today I feel a lot worse off than yesterday.

Closed Thread