It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2006, 08:04 AM   #1
Senior Veteran

Sunlover HB User
Why is this happening?

Does anyone ever get one finger that will turn ice cold? Once in a while only 1 finger will get like ice. It's happening quite frequently today. I can't find a THING about it, I only find sites that talk about all the fingers being icy cold or about cold with discoloration (white, blue or red), I get no discoloration and it's only the index finger.

Last edited by Sunlover; 03-05-2006 at 03:24 PM. Reason: to describe better

Old 03-06-2006, 03:44 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: One finger turning to "ice"

have you seen your doc about this at all?This could be caused by some sort of nerve impingement or some other cause.it should be brought to the attention of your doc so he is aware of it,he may be able to shed some light on it.does it feel numb or tingly at all or just cold?FB

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-06-2006, 02:22 PM   #3
Senior Veteran

Sunlover HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by feelbad
have you seen your doc about this at all?This could be caused by some sort of nerve impingement or some other cause.it should be brought to the attention of your doc so he is aware of it,he may be able to shed some light on it.does it feel numb or tingly at all or just cold?FB
Thanks for the reply! No, it's not numb or tingly or anything like that, it only happened 2 times today as opposed to about 7 yesterday! My husband thinks its a nerve too- the day before yesterday I checked my blood just for "fun" with my husbands diabetes meter and he has these thick needles that he never uses, because he said they are too painful, so I used one and jammed my finger with one (not the way it's supposed to be done!), it bled a lot, he says that may have caused it,- is that possible? I didn't think a "nerve" could cause coldness, I thought it just caused numbness or tingling. No, I won't go to a doctor until something goes on for a very long time because most things just resolve.

Last edited by Sunlover; 03-06-2006 at 02:22 PM.

Old 03-06-2006, 02:39 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kari7171 HB User

I had my thumb do that but it actually got a little purple or redish. It felt very cold compared to the other fingers. It lasted about two weeks and went away and never came back. I had not injured my fingure at all but I typed a lot and I thought it might have been because I used that thumb to hit the space bar.

Old 03-06-2006, 04:15 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Ms_ENV27 HB User

That happens to me all the time. Different fingers, but usually one of my pinkys. I don't know why it happens, but I never went to the doc for it.

Old 03-06-2006, 04:55 PM   #6
Senior Veteran

Sunlover HB User

Hey thanks! Sounds like it does happen to people for no reason! I tend to start having ridiculous thoughts of absurd things it could be!

Old 03-07-2006, 06:26 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

Honestly,you would be totally shocked and amazed at just what is possible when you are dealing with nerves.since i suffered severe nerve damage from a surgery done on the inside of my spinal cord two years ago,wow.it has been one long neuro ride from hell just because of the nerve and spinal tract damage.

I would be willing to bet that each one of you that has mentioned 'your' symptoms all have some sort of nerve affectation somewhere along that nerve.really,you can feel heat and cold and numbness tingling flushing sensations ripping tearing electrical waves or jolts.... the list of possible sensations and synmptoms just goes on and on and on.

since that surgery,I have felt pains and sensations and some of the most bizarre and off the freakin wall types of neuro wierdness that is just sooo insane that some of this stuff is truely indescribable.just about any sensation is possible when a nerve has been affected(or irritated) and espescially when damaged.

one big thing here I wanted to mention just because this happened to my mother is that when her finger(I cannot actually remember which one as they were out of town when this happened so i never actually saw it for myself)just suddenly started to turn kinda blueish while they were actually on the plane going to florida,well by the time they got to florida,it was actually black in color,just totally black.

they went to the local ER and my mom was admitted right out of the ER and then they started ding tests on her.well they eventually came to the conclusion that she actually had a clot over the artey that was somewhere up around the clavicle(the top of the shoulder between the base of the neck and the actual sholder?)they ended up having to do some sort of procedure which removed the clot and they also placed a stent,just like the ones they place in the heart,but this was in that blocked artery in the clavicle.once they placed the stent her finer slowly started to return to a more normal color,but it took like the rest of the day and into the next morning for it to be finally normal looking again.

Quite the experience.i just wanted to mention this to the poster whos finger is changing colors.did you actually see your doc when this happened?If not,I think you may want to at the very least,tell him about it actually happening so at least he is aware of this.it could just be a circulation issue in that particular finger or something else.but anytime a body part goes numb or gets cold or hot or anything not normal,it definitely needs to at least be brought up to your doc and actually noted in you medical records so if some other wierd thing just pops up one day,you may see some sort of red flag type issue that needs further looking into.

It is just not normal or usual for this to occur for no apparent reason.thats all.there is 'something' causing this to happen.and it does 'appear' to be nerve related,and that alone may never be known or it could start to show itself by causing pain or another finger to also start doing this.it should just be monitored and any changes in its presentation noted.there could be any number of reasons for this wayy too many to list.just keep an eye on it.hope nothing else pops up on you.FB

Old 03-08-2006, 05:58 AM   #8
(female)

sk1pp3r HB User

In relation to the first post, the back of my right hand is ALWAYS cold unless i have a bath or a hot shower, it doesnt feel very cold to touch but to me it feels like ice!
I havnt done anything to provoke this and its a normal colour, i was wondering if i should visit the doctor or has anybody got some suggestions?

Old 03-08-2006, 07:47 AM   #9
(female)

Daisy37 HB User

My bosses fingers do that, she says they're cold as ice, plus hers turn almost paper white on the ends. She's been to a dozen doctors and as of yet no one can tell her what it is. One doctor actually suggested she wear mittens all the time, not gloves, mittens - said then the fingers would be covered and they'd keep each other warm - hard to use her computer though Good luck finding out what it is, keep us posted if you do.

Old 03-08-2006, 08:56 AM   #10
Senior Veteran

Sunlover HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy37
My bosses fingers do that, she says they're cold as ice, plus hers turn almost paper white on the ends. She's been to a dozen doctors and as of yet no one can tell her what it is. One doctor actually suggested she wear mittens all the time, not gloves, mittens - said then the fingers would be covered and they'd keep each other warm - hard to use her computer though Good luck finding out what it is, keep us posted if you do.
Your boss sound like she could have Raynauds syndrome. (I have tried researching things for myself, but mine didn't match Raynauds - this will turn your fingers cold and very white - it starts with the tips and as it gets worse it becomes larger areas of the finger) - and by the way, my finger has only done is once yesterday and so far not today at all...

Old 03-08-2006, 09:23 PM   #11
(female)

macKenzie1818 HB User

It also happened to me. But now it's disappeared.

Last edited by macKenzie1818; 03-08-2006 at 09:23 PM.

Closed Thread