It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2006, 05:11 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

twizliz HB User
Things stuck in tonsils

I am one month out of Septoplasty and related sinus surgery. I went back to my ent today and thought about mentioning that my tonsils were swollen and they had some stuff stuck in them (I also get food stuck in them). I didn't want to tell him for fear of him wanting to take them out. Any ideas?

Old 04-03-2006, 06:37 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybug8372 HB User
Re: Things stuck in tonsils

tonsil stones

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-03-2006, 06:41 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

twizliz HB User

what are they and what can be done for them? Was it okay I didn't mention it to my ent?

Old 04-03-2006, 07:25 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybug8372 HB User

They are whitish/yellow, foul-smelling globs of mucous and bacteria that get caught in the back of the throat. You should be able to do a search on the health board for it in order to learn more..to see if that is what you are experiencing.

Old 04-03-2006, 07:39 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

twizliz HB User

okay, thanks

But why would they be red as well? Or could it just be marks on my tonsils from the force of sneezing with my mouth open?

Old 04-06-2006, 03:39 PM   #6
(female)

wiltingflower HB User

Gosh I feel like I just posted this..I did. Got no reply. How do you know it's not food, maybe of a different consistency of food than what you are used to seeing? I ask this question but I want to know the answer for myself too as I have got constant white gunk in my right tonsil and am paranoid that now it might be serious since every method I try is of no help whatsoever. So now I just wonder if that's just what they do and what they look like as "they do"? Maybe the white is food, or maybe low grade infection, or irritation. I don't know if you are back there frequently trying to remove the junk so maybe you are making the situation worse by irritating tonsils??? (I do the same believe me) And I get the stones too that everyone talks about, but ignore those for the most part and let them do what they want since they don't hurt.

Old 04-06-2006, 03:46 PM   #7
(female)

KerryT HB UserKerryT HB User

My ENT told me those white spots are plaque build-ups-- the same plaque that collects on your teeth. I was able to gargle to get rid of them. If your tonsils are red and swollen, your ENT will probably want to remove them.

Old 04-06-2006, 07:22 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

twizliz HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerryT
\ your ENT will probably want to remove them.
I was afraid you were going to say that! That was actually the reason why I didn't mention it to him to begin with.

Today while I was walking, I had the worst pain in my ear straight through my ear. I almost passed out it was so bad. I think I'm going to call him tonight and leave a message.

I've also started vomiting, sore throat, temp, stomach pain... I feel so miserable right now.

Old 04-07-2006, 02:50 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

tina76 HB User

I know that tonsil stones are actually VERY common...If you do a search on them here on health boards you will come up with HUNDREDS of posts regarding them! I was really surprised to find that out...I thought I was the only one who had them! But there are also several threads involving tonsil stones that are getting infected, etc.... SO that might be what you experiencing? No matter what it is probably best to tell your doc about it. I know they aren't super crazy about removing tonsils like they used to be. Especially not on adults. So maybe they won't want to do surgery on yours! It is supposed to be very rough recovery for adults which is why they used to always to them on kids. At least that is what I read and also what MY doctor told me when I complained about the tonsil stones (after learning what they were).

Good Luck! Let us know what happens!
Tina

Closed Thread