It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-09-2006, 02:14 PM   #1
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 8
JrLover8 HB User
Question Need to know the right questions ask about stomach issues

I have a PCP but the couple of times I have went to him he has told me my symptoms were related to aging. I'm only 30!

Last year I started getting these little, red, pinpoint blood spots all over my arms. As thy fade away they get bruises around them that stay for about a month before finally clearing up completely. Obviously I was concerned about Lukeimia but time has ruled that out. Then I was concerned about some kind of auto-immune disorder but my doctor insisted it was because I was getting older and refused to order blood tests--he's never done blood work on me. Recently the spots have spread to my torso and legs.

I've been having stomach pains all this time as well. Now my stomach pains are getting worse, much worse. It used to just be burning pains at the top of my stomach, right below my ribcage. Now I am getting sharp stabbing pains in the same area along with the burning. Sometimes when I take a drink of coke it feels like someone punched me in the chest and doubles me over; I can't breath and my stomach feels like it is twisting. On the days when my stomach is really bad it helps to eat a little bit but within an hour of eating it is worse than it was before and I have to eat again.

My periods have gotten heavier over the last 3 months. I work on my feet and the last time I had to work during my period I had to leave early because I almost passed out three times--everything started to get white, my ears were ringing and I felt dizzy. I went to see my doctor and once again he said I was getting older and my body was changing.

My doctor has never examined me. He's never looked at my throat or looked in my ears or listened to my heart or anything.

I think I may have ulcers that are causing me to be anaemic. Next time I go see my doctor I am going to insist he do tests and/or refer me to a specialist. I just don't know what tests I need.

Last edited by JrLover8; 04-09-2006 at 02:25 PM. Reason: More descriptive title

Sponsors Lightbulb
Old 04-09-2006, 02:32 PM   #2
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Indiana
Posts: 53
novmom HB User
Re: Need to know the right questions to ask my doctor

I would maybe find another doc. Those spots sound to me like a petechiae (pi-teak-eye) rash. I was told it is definately something to have looked into to rule out anything. I had them last summer, and my doctor wanted to see me right away and ordered bloodwork. My son had them before and he was hospitalized w/ possible menegitis (not to scare you or anything...turned out it was not).

With all of your symptoms and your doctor not doing anything...I think it's very important to find someone that will listen to you and find out what is wrong. We don't pay them the big bucks to blow us off.
Mom to -
6 yr old son, diagnosed w/ Mood Disorder NOS
3 yr old daughter

Old 04-09-2006, 04:16 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,718
kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User
Re: Need to know the right questions to ask my doctor

Yeah... Time for a new doctor!

Old 04-09-2006, 09:11 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
Join Date: May 2004
Location: VT
Posts: 965
twizliz HB User
Re: Need to know the right questions to ask my doctor

I get those things on my skin too. It looks like someone took a toothpick and put blood in it, right? I have them all over my arms. I've heard it can be caused by anemia, but I am not positive. I would def. look into another doctor! 30 is not old!

Old 04-10-2006, 06:08 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 10,128
feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: Need to know the right questions to ask my doctor

A new doc for you right now really IS crucial to actually finding out just what in the heck is going,this guy sounds like an idiot, bloodwork??

what exactly IS pcp?I would also request all of your medical records from this idiot to see just what he feels has been actually going on with you,if anything.but you DO need to get those records and keep them for your own files.all of them.just looking at all of those clinic notes that every doc makes after every appt he has with any patient would give you at least some idea about what he feels are any real issues.this guy needs definite replacement,asap if you really want the care you do not have to take this crap from any doc and have the right to change any doc you feel is just sitting on their butt and doing absolutely nothing to try and help you.I do think this has gone on wayyy too long are never going to get the answers and or Dx you really need from this guy,really.its time to move on.just get those records.I do wish you luck.FB
3-22-01,herniated C-6-7
11-20-01,placement of hardware for failed fusion
9-22-03,removal of cavernous hemangioma that was inside spinal cord. Neuro damage to L hand L leg and R leg.

Old 04-10-2006, 07:13 AM   #6
Senior Member
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 289
Susannah HB User
Re: Need to know the right questions to ask my doctor

Getting your records is a really good idea. One other reason for doing it is to see if he's made any notes in there to the effect that he thinks it's all psychological. If he has, do not get your records transferred to the new doc (that you definitely need to get!). Just tell the new doc that you haven't been to the doctor in a while, but you thought these symptoms you've had lately warranted a visit, and then go into what your symptoms are.

Or, another possible course of action is to only make copies of the pages you feel are relevant and give those to the new doc as your medical record. I did that with some of my doctors, essentially just giving them the blood work results (might not be much in your case).

It always helps to have your med records, anyway, and to kind of know the results. The doctors appreciate you pointing out to them if you've already had a particular blood test they are thinking about ordering, etc. Sometimes it is hard for them to wade through all the back-info.

Old 04-10-2006, 07:34 AM   #7
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 1,411
cookiepls HB User
Re: Need to know the right questions to ask my doctor

I don't get it. If your doctor thinks it's all age related, why not at least give you a hormone test? You're only 30. Seems like that would give him cause for concern. I agree with the other posters here. You need a new doctor ASAP. Don't give up. This one is doing absolutely nothing but wasting your time and money, or the insurance company's money. Keep a journal of your symptoms, where and when they occur, and give that to your new doctor. I don't think it would do any good to give it to your current doctor.

Old 04-10-2006, 12:34 PM   #8
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 8
JrLover8 HB User
Re: Need to know the right questions to ask my doctor

PCP is primary care physician.

I'm looking for a new doctor now. Maybe a female would be better.

Old 04-10-2006, 03:04 PM   #9
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 56
fidgety115 HB User
Re: Need to know the right questions to ask my doctor

My grandfather had all the symptoms you have, the red spots, the pains by the rib cage and stomach pains. He wound up being diagnosed with Crohn's Disease. He couldn't drink any soda whatsoever, and even things like pizza or pasta with tomato sauce would tie him up in knots. 5 years before he died he had part of his stomach and small intestine removed due to damage. He didn't die from Crohn's, he died from heart disease, so not to worry. He was also 75 years old. Crohn's had something to do with the red spots, but it was more like a side symptom, something about Crohn's make people who have it unable to process certain nutrients, which causes the red spots, and also the stomach bleeding cause anemia. I would go to a new PCP who will recommend you to a gastro doc. Also, petechiae is sometimes caused by absolutely nothing. Skin fragility comes along with aging, and some people have skin that acts older than their years, due to sun damage or poor diet, but go have it checked out. The stomach pains alone are worth an investigation. Best of luck to you!

Old 04-10-2006, 07:39 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Burnet, Texas USA
Posts: 4,304
Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User
Re: Need to know the right questions to ask my doctor

Getting a copy of medical records is a great idea, however, from my experience they only make copies of what they want you to have, such as lab reports, etc., but, they do not include their personal notes made in the file even if you pay for your medical records.

A doctor's personal notes in a patients file could lead to lawsuits if someone read them, or at least that is what I think may be the reason.

When my ob/gyn doctor retired after being my doctor for 30 years gave me the original medical file notes and all. My internist retired and I had a difficult time getting copies of important things in my file, never got doctors notes. I had to keep telling them I wanted all of the file not the few things they copied and handed to me. Finally got a sufficient amount to be of some help.

Every time you visit the doctor and you have lab results, be sure you get a copy then and make your own personal medical file. You will then have info needed in the future. However, I realize the original poster did not have lab work.

Old 04-11-2006, 02:55 PM   #11
Senior Member
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 289
Susannah HB User
Re: Need to know the right questions to ask my doctor

Misty800, how long ago did you try to get your records from your internist? They're required by federal law now (look up HIPAA) to give you all of your records for a reasonable fee ($25 is still considered to be reasonable, although I disagree, oh well). If you politely remind them of that, and threaten to report them to the appropriate agencies, then the only doctor I've ever had trouble with was very cooperative.

I've always received all of my records, notes and all.

Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
Didn't even know that I still had ovaries??? Beccapooh Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian 16 03-05-2011 12:00 PM
New here & need a TMJ specialist batzany TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint 1 11-14-2009 04:59 PM
Hip Surgery in 4 weeks...need advice Lexi09 Knee & Hip Problems 17 08-03-2009 06:01 AM
new,and need to get off of opiates jerry111165a Addiction & Recovery 33 11-20-2007 03:40 PM
Need Advice for dealing with doctors Frosty6 Back Problems 10 04-04-2006 05:45 AM
I need advice on what to ask Chest Surgeon Monday HELP!!!!! korusgirl Cancer: Lung 8 11-11-2005 08:19 AM
New Here, Need Advice, Feedback, Feeling Badly sassy_dee Depression 2 09-04-2005 02:47 PM
I NEED HELP...anyone know about 10 level fusions? FriarJen83 Back Problems 10 05-19-2005 01:56 PM
Need Sub. help/advice! christianmom Addiction & Recovery 17 12-13-2004 06:29 AM
I need some answers and advice please! Bcorica Back Problems 8 04-15-2003 07:39 AM

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Sign Up Today!

Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

I want my free account

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:39 PM.

Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2015 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!