HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   General Health (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/general-health/)
-   -   Chronic Bad Breath (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/general-health/383754-chronic-bad-breath.html)

victim00 04-18-2006 10:10 AM

Chronic Bad Breath

Hi, does anyone have the same symptons as me? i have bad breath constantly, especially after eating, have tried ways like brushing, cleaning tongue. seen a dentist on it, doesnt seems to be dental problem. however, i always seems to feel a lump in my throat whenever i swallow, seen an ENT on it and he said i may have allergy problems and producing too much mucos .... wondering does having too much mucos in the throat gives bad breath problem? on medication first before going to do a allergy test next. anyway i lick the back of my tongue on my hand and there is a smell after it dries up but when i use my finger around my teeth (the gums part), there is no smell at all .... i believe my bad breath is coming fr the back of my throat and tongue .... maybe there is too much bacteria hidden on my tongue, but then tongue scrapping alone does not help, i still get bad breath in the morning even after i brush my teeth .... i think its a really serious problem and its affecting me a lot .... im always thinking, is there really NO cure for bad breath .... i really envy those with clean smelling breath, it seems like all those around me are not affected by bad breath problem at all, why am i the odd one out? anyone care to give some advise

trylon 04-18-2006 11:32 PM

Re: Chronic Bad Breath

Hi,
I know what your going through.Believe me.
I saw your post and thought I would respond. I too
have suffered from a chronic bad breath problem
for the last 15 years.I am 36 years old.First of all,
your not alone.There are MILLIONS, not thousands,
millions of people with the same problem.All you have
to do is check out some old boards here at healthboards.
There was a series called "bad breath has changed my
personality" which spans 3 years, hundreds of pages and has
hundreds of posts from people just like us.My symptoms
are very similar to yours.I have foul breath, yellow crud
on the back of my tongue, lump in throat and alot
of excess mucus. Heres whats happening.Excess mucus is also refered to as post nasal drip.Your sinuses and throat (like mine)are producing too
much mucus.The mucus sits in the throat and also collects
on the back of the tongue.The normal mouth bacteria(which everyone has)
feed on protein rich mucus and produce the horrible odors.
It seems like many people with the drip have horrendous
breath.I asked my doctor about it. He said "absolutely,
post nasal drip and bad breath go hand in hand".
He told me that its a VERY common problem.
There is no "cure" for bad breath.If there was, people
wouldnt be spending billions on gums, mouthwashes etc.
Again, you are not the odd one out.There are millions of
people dealing the same dilemma.
Post naasl drip is not a serious health problem.The biggest issue
is finding out what is causing it. In my case, I quit smoking,
hoping that might help.The jury is still out on that one.
If you want, we can talk
about possible solutions.They wont totally work, but MAYBE
they will make it more tolerable for you and those around you.
Let me know.

Susannah 04-19-2006 10:16 AM

You might have some tonsil stones. They always felt like a lump in the back of my throat until I could get the out. The first time I had them I didn't know what the heck was going on, just had a constant lump and bad breath. Then, they started coming out. Now, I know when I have one and can kind of suck it out or push it out with the end of a toothbrush. There are lots of threads on them here, you might want to see if it might fit with what you are going through.

tina76 04-19-2006 11:27 AM

I was thinking the same thing.... Tonsil stones. Do you use a mouthwash? If not I would go out and get a strong anti-bacterial mouth wash and use it as much as you can.

victim00 04-20-2006 07:33 AM

hi trylon, thank you for the response ... so have u, same like me, seen an ENT on it or any doctor for that matter? now i truly believe that there is no cure for b.b ... its saddening to know that but then what can i do, im just the unlucky one :( i dun knw wat else can i try, i believe its got to do the overload of bacteria in my tongue and throat bec usually when i wake up, i get heavy b.b, but subsequently after i brush and scrap my tongue, the smell is not tat bad but its still there, anyway what had u been doing with ur b.b? do advise me, i do not hope to cure it completely but just wana knw hw to control it so ppl wont sense it unless they talk real close to me ... :(

victim00 04-20-2006 07:36 AM

hi susannah, thank you for the response, tonsil stones? well i do not knw much abt it and i dun knw what is it exactly too. isnt it suppose to be something hard? anyway i dun feel anything hard in my throat, just a lump when i swallow, anyway are u cured of ur b.b after taking out the stones?

victim00 04-20-2006 07:43 AM

hi tina76, i do use listerine and did try a normal anti-bacterial mouth wash, but i think it didnt really help, maybe its not strong enough, do u have any to recommend to me, and i think this method only mask the b.b,i think i must get to the root of the problem to really solve my problems :(

Susannah 04-20-2006 09:15 AM

The tonsil stones are somewhat hard, they are like a hardened plaque. You can't see them, though, until they come out. They get into holes in your tonsils. It is hard to even see the holes in your tonsils until the stones are starting to come out and they stretch the hole open. An ENT should be able to tell you if you have the holes, but he probably won't be able to tell about the stones. They just make the back of your throat feel like it has a lump in it, well, because it does, the stones make the texture lumpy. You can't see the stones at all, though, until they come out.

I would recommend doing a search for it on the boards, there have been lots of threads on them, so if you want to know more, that's the best thing to do.

Yes, my bad breath at that point was due to the stones, once they came out, it went, but the reason you get them in the first place, most people think (and why the holes in your tonsils get there) is from bacteria. So, if you want everything to permanently stay better, you've got to get rid of that. I found toothpaste with tea tree oil and a mouthwash with tea tree oil permanently cured it for me, I don't even have bad breath in the mornings anymore (well, except for after drinking coffee, stale coffee breath is kind of yucky, but has nothing to do with bacteria).

victim00 04-20-2006 10:03 AM

hmm, i check my tonsils but there do not seems to b any stones there and it didnt stink very much too ... so i guess the problem lies with the back of my tongue and down the throat, whenever i ate, my tongue is whitish in colour at the back, i think my tongue is collating all the bacteria and when i scrap my tongue, a yellowish substance came off, guess all these are the bacteria and is causing all the bad smell :( well, what to do, i guess im not born with a rosy tongue and excessive muscus :( but i wonder sometimes some ppl who have terrible cough and phlemg and sinus do not get b.b, so is the mucus really causing my b.b? after i brush in the morning and scrap my tongue, the b.b still lingers .. and its gets terrible after i eat, its really bad .....

Jon7346 04-20-2006 10:17 AM

Hi, I have tonsil stones. They stink horribly. When I start to feel one come out it feels like something is back in my throat. Kinda scratchy back there. Finally I looked in the mirror and I will see a whitish thing sticking out on the side, its hard to see. Usually I poke it with q-tip, keep rubbing my tongue back there and it loosens up. If you do find you have one, get the sucked smoosh it (yes its not actually hard or solid like a stone) it smells putrid.

When is the last time you went to a dentist?

tina76 04-20-2006 10:44 AM

Tonsil stones are way back in you throat. And if you DO have them they are caused by bacteria which is most likely what is going on with the back of your tongue (the yellow ****) as well. If you use Listerine it does NOT just mask the problem, it is anti-bacterial. It kills bacteria. When you used it, how often did you use it? For how long. You must gargle for at LEAST 60seconds, longer if possible. And I would do it SEVERAL times a day. At least every time you have food or drink which will add to bacteria. You might call a dentist and ask them if there is a prescription strength anti-bacterial mouth wash. I'm sure they do.

You can also gargle with Hydrogen Peroxide. That will kill bacteria and get your mouth good and clean. It will taste super nasty though. But that might help. Don't swallow it though!!!

noptical 04-20-2006 05:02 PM

sinus infection/allergy/deviated septum. your problem is now solved :D
These 3 are the most common reasons of pnd. Go have a CT scan and see yourself. If your doc says you don't need one, go find another ENT because this one obviously isn't going to solve your problem.

victim00 04-21-2006 08:38 AM

Hi jon, well i see the dentist regularly so i dun think its the prob with my teeth. i dun feel anything on my tonsils at all, i believe it should b the tonsils stones, by the way do u get a whitish tongue all the time?

reader111 04-30-2006 10:23 PM

Victim,

You're problem may be caused by acid reflux. People with good breath have alkaline oral environments due to constant saliva production. People with post-nasal drip have thick saliva which doesn't drain well and collects in the back of the throat. Bacteria feeds on this mucus and creates bad breath. Acid-reflux causes nasal congestion and post-nasal drip which adds to an anerobic (no oyxgen) environment in the back of the throat.

Even worse - if you have acid reflux which reaches the throat area (LPR) it is constantly creating an acid environment. People with acid reflux will often have the worst breath after eating. I found out I had gastroparesis - a food motility problem, which means food digests slowly creating a lot of excess acid. My breath is so bad people cover their noses clear across the room when I speak - especially after lunch. It's a problem I take with me everywhere I go, so I am always stressed out about it.

I use special mouthwash, toothpaste, drops etc. from the California Breath Clinics, floss twice a day and drink plenty of water. I also had my tonsils removed last November after suffering with tonsil stones.

I am hoping that treating the motility and reflux problems will take care of these symptoms. Good luck. Hope this helps.

Grunt117 04-30-2006 11:23 PM

I have bad breath all the time as well.

I have tonsil stones, but dislodging them does little for my breath. The dentist and hygienist said my mouth naturally produces a lot of "bad breath bacteria." Basically it's a genetic thing. The breath seems to originate from my tongue, and not from my teeth or gums, even though I have receding gums.

Warning to anyone who uses "short term" breath fresheners, like mints and mouthwash. Mints and alcoholic mouthwashes dry my mouth out, and my breath gets ten times worse when my mouth is dry. Chewing gum is the only thing that sometimes helps me, since chewing gum forces your mouth to make saliva.

I have found that drinking LOTS of water and practicing good oral hygiene helps keep bad breath from becoming too powerful. In my experience, sugars and dairy products make my breath the worst.