It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2006, 09:36 AM   #1
(male)

nicknamefij HB User
Low Magnesium Levels?

It's been a hell of a run, searching for the answer to my problems. I went from thinking it was Gall Stones, to Gerd, to Blood Problems, to Nerological problems and finally to the theory of low magnesium levels.

Let me give a bit of history. Originally my problems started with upper abdominal pains. I was put through ultrasound, and numerous check-ups and only to hear from my doctor that I was healthy. Didn't solve the pain, so I looked for more answers. My friends mom is a nurse and she suggested GERD, so I started taking Prevacid, and it helped! So I was able to narrow it down to gastrointestinal problems.

A couple weeks later I started getting a weird pulsating like effect on different areas of my body, which I thought was in my veins. I went back to the doctor again and explained the situation. He had me track the number of times it happened and what parts of my body were affected most. He told me that it sounds more like muslce twitches and that my heart and lungs were fine, blood pressure all that is normal. So he sent me off to do a blood test again just to make sure. I await the results.

In the meantime, I did some research on the board for muscle twitches. And I discovered that there is a chance that if your magnesium levels are low, then these little muscle twitches can occur. So I pursued the Low Magnesium levels issue further only to find that symptoms of low magnesium seem to suit my case. It is stated that low magnesium levels can cause gastrointenstinal problems, dizziness, muscle twitches.

So can anyone fill me in on low magnesium or has anyone ever experienced this. I'm told it takes about 6 weeks of being on suppliments for the symptoms to go away.

On another note, I read that I should take 400mg a day for six weeks, but the bottle I bought suggested only 100mg per day. Is that just a suggestion? Are there any issues with taking 400mg per day. especially if this isnt really my problem, and my levels are alright.

thanks guys!

Last edited by nicknamefij; 04-27-2006 at 09:38 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-27-2006, 11:56 AM   #2
(male)

nicknamefij HB User
Lightbulb Re: Low Magnesium Levels?

well after doing some more reading the average daily intake of magnesium is estimated to be 200-300 mg/day, about 100 mg of which is absorbed.

can anyone confirm this?

as far as foods go, there isnt much that the average person would eat ona daily basis: such as legumes, nuts, grains, dark-green leafy vegetables, cocoa, dried fruits, and shellfish. Fruit, meat and fish supply poor levels, as do refined foods. Contrary to common belief, milk and dairy products are not particularly rich sources of magnesium.

Drinking alcohol increases urine production, which leads to excessive excretion of magnesium. I don't drink a ton but probably average 1-3 beers at day. I would say 5 days of the week. and 1 or 2 of which is a night on the town with friends getting drunk. So a combination of not getting enough magnesium from your food sources and drinking regularly (not necessarily the pattern of an alcholic) can decrease your magnesium levels. Because magnesium has not been routinely measured in the past, a deficiency of this mineral has usually gone unrecognized. Not everyone who is taking magnesium supplements is doing so on a physician's instructions. Apparently even top athletes will take suppliments as a "power" suppliment.

So I would imagine there is no harm in my having an intake of 400mg per day. I just wonder why on the bottle it says 2max per day.

Last edited by nicknamefij; 04-27-2006 at 12:02 PM.

Old 04-27-2006, 01:30 PM   #3
(female)

AFH HB User
Re: Low Magnesium Levels?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknamefij
On another note, I read that I should take 400mg a day for six weeks, but the bottle I bought suggested only 100mg per day. Is that just a suggestion? Are there any issues with taking 400mg per day. especially if this isnt really my problem, and my levels are alright.
Being knowledgeable is the key to finding an answer. You have have been doing good.

There are several forms of magnesium that all work in different ways: magnesium citrate, magnesium aspartate, magnesium carbonate, magnesium gluconate, magnesium oxide, and magnesium sulfate. Search out each one and you will see the differences between each type.

Taking 400mg /day is fine. The 100mg /day is recommended if you have no symptoms and just want to add magnesium into your normal daily diet.

I take higher then 400/day to help with heart palpations from MVP, asthma and Diabetes. And it has been working fine for me.

I would not recommend that for you until you are certain you know what your illness is.

Also, you may look into the combination of magnesium such as magnesium, calcium & vitamin D. The three all work in combination of each other and the Vitamin D is added to get the most absorption of the magnesium & calcium. You should also know that there should be a 2:1 ratio - being you should be taking twice as much calcium then magnesium.

Be Well

Old 04-27-2006, 01:51 PM   #4
(male)

nicknamefij HB User

If i'm taking a multivitamin daily as well, is there the need to take a vitamin d and calcium suppliment as well?

Old 04-28-2006, 01:55 AM   #5

TimeWarp32 HB User

I take 400mg twice a day of Mag-Ox to help with my heart. Taking 400mg a day would be NO PROBLEM.

But just a reminder, too much, and it will act as a serious laxative! You will know if you've taken too much

Last edited by TimeWarp32; 04-28-2006 at 01:55 AM.

Old 04-28-2006, 02:51 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

6foot3 HB User

I take 1,000 mg a day ....500 mg a.m. and 500 mg p.m. of Magnesium Citrate. Also don't take it with Calcium as they both compete for same receptor sites in the small intestines. Its involved in over 300 enzymatic actions in the body second only to B-6. I use it for many things but i really notice it in my weight lifting .Thats my take ...........

Closed Thread