It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2006, 10:04 AM   #1
Inactive
(male)

Acting_up HB User
Blood work and physical?

When you go for blood work and a physical... what do the doctors normaly or always check for?

Old 04-27-2006, 11:06 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybug8372 HB User
Re: Blood work and physical?

blood pressure, listening to heart and lungs. and unless you openly object...they will most likely look at your privates, and possible rectal exam....if you do not want this done....you have to tell the doctor. they ask you questions about your health, and if there are reasons for concern in a certain area, he will order blood tests to check for those certain things. otherwise, they do routine blood work....for cholesterol, blood count, liver function, calcium, potassium, hemoglobin, kidney functions, blood sugar. that is what my doctor normally checks for in "routine" physicals.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-27-2006, 02:15 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

Acting_up HB User

ok so heres my deal.. i got a physical and blood work done and I also asked for an hiv test.. so she did a pee test and a blood test.. came back awhile later and said everything is ok.. my concern and or question is does that blood and physical test cover other deasis or viruses? Would anything like herpese or yeast infection etc.. what ever thier can be.. does or would it also show?

Old 04-27-2006, 02:36 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB User

Herpes and or a yeast infection would not show up on bloodwork, that can only be detected when they are in an active state. When they do basic bloodwork as Ladybug stated, they look for basic things and not diseases or viruses of any type. Yeast infections, which is what women generally have, are not detectable by bloodwork nor is Herpes.

Old 04-28-2006, 06:21 AM   #5
Inactive
(male)

Acting_up HB User

so all in all, in order to find out anything... you need to physiclly ask for specific things to check for!? They just dont do a wide veriaty of tests? Like im trying to see if I can walk into a clinic/hospital/doc office etc.. and say "Hey, id like to check for anything under the sun" My reason is so i can make sure.. ya know.. I can go and check for herpes but that doesnt mean if i know I have hiv. id just like to get it all done so i would know 100% that im clean.. not 100% i know im clean of just hiv. I hope i didnt lose any1 with this.

Old 04-28-2006, 07:00 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybug8372 HB User

ok...if you are afraid that you have an STD....you need to tell your dr that you think you were exposed....or that you would like to be checked for STD's.

There are MILLIONS of things that blood tests are used for....there is NO WAY possible for a dr to order blood tests to check for every single thing that blood can show. Thats why they go by what you tell them, your history, and any problems you are experiencing....so that they can determine which tests are necessary. If they tested each person for EVERY single thing........LABS would be soooooo backed up, that you wouldnt know your results for 10 years! If you need to be tested for certain things....you need to talk to your dr....tell them why you feel it to be necessary...and if they feel thats its necessary...they will.........for instance......i have bouts of major mood swings....not sure if its depression, premenopause, both, or what.........so i called my doctor to see if there was a test to determine if I am going through pre menopause..........they told me they can take blood and it would show what my levels of estrogen, hormones, etc. are......as i said.......blood shows MILLIONS of things.....AND to test for EVERY SINGLE thing.......they would have to take tons and tons of blood from you!

Closed Thread