It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2006, 08:36 AM   #1
(male)

nicknamefij HB User
allergy test

what is required to do an allergy test? do i need to know what allergies i should be tested for, or is there a generic test?

Old 05-12-2006, 08:50 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

claflamme HB User
Talking Re: allergy test

I actually just had allergy testing done they only checked for enviromental allergies not food. But you do not need to know what allergies. They just checked for pretty much all enviromental. It is actually a scratch test first they are all together. It doesn't hurt but it does itch and you can't scratch for at least 15 min. I had mine done on my arn. If you show any allergies to those. They will do the next test which more of what you are allergic to are placed in needles then injected in you upper arm. It really didn't hurt. I did find out I have 22 allergies. It is definetely a good idea to ahve it done. Usually your dr can reffer some one. I had it done because I have asthma. And I was trying to see what my triggers were.
C

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-15-2006, 04:51 AM   #3
(female)

babycamille HB User
Re: allergy test

I paid for a £50 basic test using electronic nodes a couple of years ago as I'd been told I was allergic to wheat. It showed Cat, Dog, Horse, Grass & Wheat.

I haven't been feeling well for the past 10 months. Although I have asthma, during one doctors session last year was told I had Hay Fever ("of course" like I'm stupid, I'm 36 but have never had it before), but there was no test offered as 'you can't test for hay fever' said in a tone to make me feel 4 years old.

I recently asked my doctor why I hadn't been tested for allergies during the last 10 months especially food allergies and he told me they are not recognised and there's no evidence to prove they exist.
I disagree but it'd cost me £250 to fond out!

Old 05-15-2006, 05:31 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Can't believe anyone is still using the term "hay fever." That was just a broad term for any allergy to any flora (plants). The scratch test is still the best one for determining these allergies. And they test for set things plus additional things that may grow in your area of the country.

Old 05-15-2006, 11:15 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybug8372 HB User

one thing i found out....general doctors allergy tests are not that accurate. i had been tested by an allergist a couple of years ago...so i knew what i was allergic to.....this past fall....my allergies worsened......so i knew that i was more allergic to something, or developed more allergies..i just didnt know to what!.....so instead of paying a higher co-pay to see my allergist...i went to my GP. WRONG choice!!! his tests showed that i was not allergic to things that i am HIGHLY allergic to, and he didnt test for much of the things that my allergist does. so, i wasted that $20. (he was telling a dr that he was training, that he orders his own serum and they weaken it down, to cut down on costs, and so that the serum would go further)...since i wasnt satisfied with his answers....i went to my allergist.....things that GP said i wasnt allergic to....i went off the charts!!! and i have developed new allergies.
when testing......they go by your symptoms....as far as what to test for. however.....i have yet to find someone who will test my kids for bee allergies....both have horrible allergies....and are allergic to everything environmental. since they are sooo allergic...they have had me getting the epi-pen...just in case.....i bought them for 7 years, never once needing them (thank goodness!!)..BUT...everything they are highly allergic to....doesnt cause any life or death situations. HOWEVER...each of my kids have been stung only ONCE in their life!! (they are 12 and 15 years old)........this was before they developed allergies. SO....I have no idea if they are allergic to bees.....so... I asked the obvious question...."can you test them for bees?"........the answer i got??? "we cant test for bee allergies until they have been stung and had a reaction!!!".........well....duh, if they get stung and have a reaction....i dont think i need them to be tested!!!!....does this sound crazy or what???

but back to your question....i would go to an allergist. if they dont tell you......you CANNOT take ANY KIND of allergy meds for 7 days prior to your appt.....not even benadryl....cause it will affect the accuracy of the allergy testing. it really is worth doing..........you may not be able to avoid all that you are allergic to.......but the tests will surely help you know what to stay away from...if you possibly can! good luck. and it does not hurt!! so dont be afraid...it tickles more than anything...(the scratch test)......BUT the more allergic you are to something......the MORE you will itch..........but remember.......you CANT scratch.....what i done was swing my legs back and forth...i concentrated on seeing how fast i could go......and that helped focus me on something aside from the itching.

Closed Thread