It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2006, 08:15 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

Dark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB User
Thinking about an eyebrow piercing

I've really been thinking about this, and while I'm going to continue to give it more thought, I'm just looking for anyone who has experience with this procedure. I really want another piercing besides my ear lobes, and all other piercings just make me cringe (tongue, cartilage, nipples, etc.). From what I have read, eyebrow piercings are relatively cheap and one of the most painless piercings to have done, after the ear lobes. Pain is my biggest concern because I have a low tolerance for it.

Also, just a question about piercings in general...is it possible for a person to have an allergy to certain metals at the area of one piercing, but not another? I only ask because I usually wear paper clips or safety pins in my ears, and I know I'd be sticking them through my eyebrow after the piercing healed and if I could remove the jewelry that was put in place. So far, I have not had any sort of reaction to paper clips or safety pins.

Anyone here who has had the piercing done who can offer me any advice? Did it hurt for you? Was it worth it? After the healing period elapses, do I need to wear the jewelry every day? What about showering - do I need to keep the area of the piercing dry during the time of healing?

Old 05-14-2006, 04:38 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

claflamme HB User
Talking Re: Thinking about an eyebrow piercing

I have had my eyebrow pierced 3 times now. First 2 times I had to work and had to take it out and closed on me. Last time surgery and couldn't get it back in. It is actually not bad I have had my tongue done before and that hurts alot. Eyebroe wasn't bad. Very quick. I think if you were allergic to a certain metal you would know it from any part of your body reactions don't descriminate body parts. You have to leave the jewelry in for a certain time before you can take it out and it won't close. Mine was relatively new whe I had to take it out. As far as the safety pins and stuff I would as the person who will be doing the piercing. I hope this helps a bit.
Good Luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-14-2006, 02:55 PM   #3
(female)

(s)aint HB User
Re: Thinking about an eyebrow piercing

I've had many things pierced, including my eyebrow, so maybe i can help.
The actual piercing didn't hurt much more than getting lobes pierced. The clamp hurt more then the actual piercing, so don't let pain be a factor in whether or not you'll get the piercing.
The piercing won't be officially healed for 6-9 months, but you can switch the jewlery out after about a month to six weeks depending on how you feel about it. I wouldn't leave the piercing out for any signifcant amount of time during the first year. My eyebrow piercing would start to close up within a half hour of being left out.
The piercing will be a little sore at first and you will probly have some nice swelling and a bruise. The piercing will ooze white-ish gunk for a while, so you'll have to clean it a couple times a day. As long as the oozey stuff is whiteish, its fine. If it turns greenish, it means its infected. The standard healing method is doing sea-salt soaks. Ask your piercer about aftercare, and this is the method they will probably tell you to use. DO NOT use table salt fyi!
I really wouldn't recomend wearing safety pins or paper clips in an eyebrow piercing at all. (why would you want to anyways?) It is a very fragile piercing, and has a very high rejection rate (mine rejected within 9 months). Switching in and out jewelry may irritate the piercing and promote rejection. If you insist on not wearing standard barbells, make sure that the saftey pin is curved, a straight barbell or safety pin will promote rejection and put pressure on the piercing.
Your best bet is to ask around and find a piercer that you trust and sit down and talk with them about the piercing. They'll tell you everything that you need to know. Don't go with the cheapest, go with the best one you can find. You'll get what you pay for!

Old 05-19-2006, 05:21 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Dark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB User

Thanks very much for the insight, guys. I really appreciate it. If I get over my pain complex long enough someday, I think I'll probably go for it. And as much as I love sticking the pins and clips through my ear lobes, I think I'll be able to survive without one through the eyebrow too.

Now I just need to cross my fingers and hope my mom won't flip out too much if I come home with a bar through my eyebrow. I think she might be okay with it eventually - it took her about a day to get over it when I came home with blue hair, so I think it won't be too bad for her to handle. Thanks again for your insights.

Old 05-21-2006, 02:23 AM   #5
(male)

Write_On HB User

It does'nt really hurt at all,I had it done a few years ago,but I took it out because I got tired of it,there's a little scar where it use to be,not real noticeable though.Just make sure to follow the directions for cleaning it and stuff.

Closed Thread