It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2006, 01:53 AM   #1
(male)

jonesdpd HB User
Can a rectal exam cause hemorroids?

I had my first rectal exam on the way to being diagnosed with appendicitis. After three days in the hospital after my surgery, I noticed an external hemorroid. In the past few days, it has grown a bit. It's not the size of a small kidney bean and I can feel it more than before.

I had this exact same thing once before and it went away after a while.

My questions are....

1) My doctor has LARGE hands. Can his large hands have irritated the area down there, during the rectal exam, and caused this flare up?

2) Is it common to get hemorroids after surgery?

3) Is it common to get hemmorroids after a hospital stay?

4) What can I do to stop this thing from growing? I am using creams, wipes, and warm baths a few times a day. (how long do those take to work)

5) When do you go to a doctor for a hemorroid like this?

Old 05-19-2006, 09:36 AM   #2
(male)

jonesdpd HB User
Re: Can a rectal exam cause hemorroids?

What do I have to do to get a reply? I have posted three messages in the past on this board and it's always my questions that get ignored and I can't quite figure out why. Am I doing something wrong?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-19-2006, 02:31 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User

Sorry about no responses to your posts, however, you may have problems that others simply have no experience with. We are not medical professionals.

If you already had a hemmoroid, it is possible for it to become inflammed due to rectal exam. If you have constipation problems after surgery, that may be the cause of a flare up.

If you have success in the past using creams, etc. then I would just wait and see if it will go back down. If it does not, then see a doctor. It is my understanding that hemmorids will flare up, settle down, flare up, settle down for years and years before having to resort to surgical removal.

Don't worry about the no responses, my questions are very seldom responded to either, but, I do learn a lot from others and like to share with others if I can be of help.

Last edited by Misty800; 05-19-2006 at 02:33 PM.

Old 05-19-2006, 03:35 PM   #4
(male)

jonesdpd HB User

Thank you very much. I was starting to think that there was a pecking order here and I was at the bottom of the list.

I did have the same problem once before. Prior to my appendicitis, I was constipated for a few days, but oh I tried. Then the doctor did the rectal exam. Then I laid in a hospital bed for a few days. I guess this is where my trouble lies.

Relax....use creams...stool softener....not more surgery.

I guess that's all there is to do.

Old 05-20-2006, 02:15 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User

If constipation is still a problem, talk to your doctor about "Miralax". Miralax is not a laxative but will bulk up the stools and eleminates hard stools. Of course you will need to drink plenty of water in order for the Miralax to work, 8 8-oz. glasses per day at least.

Miralax has no taste, mix with water and drink every morning.

Almost forgot, there are some foods you should avoid. One food is cornbread. My dad had big time problems every time he ate cornbread. There are other foods that may cause problems also, only you will know what they are over time of trial and error. Some foods are rougher passing out than others.

Last edited by Misty800; 05-20-2006 at 02:18 PM.

Old 05-20-2006, 02:25 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

rhody HB Userrhody HB Userrhody HB User

As a person gets older, trying to force things along to be regular, can lead to these problems. So do what you can do to not strain, to relax and let things happen naturally without rushing. For a lot of people that works, as long as you follow this routine continuously. I must emphasize that this is to be followed continuously because even if the hemorrhoid gets better after not straining for a while, don't try straining again after that, because it will most likely just come back. I'm sure you will find that to be the case. With a little experimentation, we eventually learn....

If the doctor did something to aggravate the problem, and it doesn't go away...I suppose you'll have to see him again...or another doctor. Also you could try a little aloe vera, to assist in healing. And you probably know a high fiber healthy diet that doesn't cause constipation is good too.

Closed Thread