It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2006, 03:48 AM   #1
(male)

shyboy14 HB User
Unhappy Vaseline = Coldsores?

Hello

Basically I went to the doctors yesterday as I had very dry lips and I've been very ill over the past 3-4 days, struggling with costapation and stomach problems.

The doctor recommened I take vaseline for my lips which I already knew that was a possiblity but anyway later that day I aplied a some amount of vaseline on my lips, before I went to bed. I woke up this morning with a coldsore forming on the lower left side of my lip which tend to already be quite sensative and painful.

Is the coldsore because of the vaseline or because I'm ill?

Thanks for any replies.

Last edited by shyboy14; 05-24-2006 at 03:50 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-24-2006, 04:18 AM   #2
(female)

Kathp HB User
Re: Vaseline = Coldsores?

It could well be either that has caused your coldsore. Rich lip balms/vaseline can bring on a coldsore outbreak, as can being run down. I would recommend discontinuing the vaseline until your coldsore has completely healed and then if you are still suffering with dry lips, you could get a lip protector with SPF in, which is less likely to aggrevate coldsore prone areas.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-24-2006, 04:23 AM   #3
(male)

shyboy14 HB User

Thanks for your quick reply Kath, Do you have any suggestions on which lip product I should maybe purchase?

Old 05-25-2006, 06:11 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

the very best thing that I have been using almost daily for geez,like over ten years or so is carmex.anytime my lips feel dry or sore(the dryness happens frequently thru out the day)i just apply some and i always put some on before bed so it kind of 'soaks in' overnight.the thing is,anytime that I have had just the beginnings of any cold sore or other wierd lip thing,I just keep putting the carmex on it a bit more frequently and I have yet to actually have one fully appear.

I tried just plain chap stick and that blistex and a few others over the years but carmex really IS the absolute best stuff I ever tried.

Just buy a tube or the little round container of this stuff,and put it on that cold sore thru out your day and espescially at night and it should be gone really soon.I love that stuff.it really does work well for me and my dry lips issue.try some and let me know how it works for you.FB

Old 05-25-2006, 06:35 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

keepsgoin HB User

I haven't ever heard of vaseline making Herpes active? Hummm...that's a new one on me. My guess is that being sick brought it on...hence the nick name "fever blisters". In fact there's a Aveeno(edit for spelling!) product that I looked at the other day that's about 10 bucks for cold sores and it's primary ingredient is White Petrolatum which as far as I know is Vaseline...it's like over 80% WP! Pretty expensive petrolium jelly if ya ask me. Vitamin E oil and garlic oil are both good for speeding up the healing process of Herpes...I prefer Vitamin E oil...just open an E gel cap and put it on. Some do swear by Carmex but I'm so allergic to Carmex it's crazy! Carmex eats my lips alive!

Last edited by keepsgoin; 05-25-2006 at 08:21 AM.

Old 05-25-2006, 06:50 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User

Hi shyboy14. Abreeva is excellent for cold sores and really does shorten the time you have them. It is expensive, but it lasts a long time and is worth the price. You can get it at the drugstore. After it has healed, you may want to put something on your lips so they do not get so dry. I like the Blistex Lip Treatment (it is creamy not the balm type).

Old 05-25-2006, 10:33 AM   #7
(male)

shyboy14 HB User

Thanks for your replys guys I've taken them into thought.

1 more question, I've got like these little spots just below were my cold sore has formed which is practically on the left side of my face now but yet again they tend to be very itchy? They came up last night and already by today they have formed some kind of scab? Theres 3 of them. any ideas on what I could use for the little gits now? lol GOD it never ENDS!

I feel alot better today though so maybe I'm starting to fight this bug away. Great way to start my summer eh? :P

Old 05-25-2006, 12:32 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

tina76 HB User

I would assume that it is your being sick that caused you cold sore. I have been prone to them as well and I am a regular vaseline user for my dry lips. And it has never seemed to make a difference in my cold sore outbreaks one way or the other. But I do knwo that I tend to get them when I am really run down, short on sleep, or sick. It's pretty common.

Old 05-25-2006, 01:11 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

gardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB User

Its possible its inpentigo if it spreads more then thats what it is.

Old 05-26-2006, 06:29 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

i would tend to agree with what garden just posted about it possibly being impetigo or "ring worm"?they are one in the same condition,just different names.just do some googling on both those words and see what pops up as far as symptoms.then just compare them to what you actually have.also click on the images to get a good look atwhat impetigo actually looks like.

just try not to touch that area and make sure to keep washing your hands thru out the day as this DOES spread in some people.there are treatments availiable thu your doc.or just using hydrogen peroxide will work too but you have to be very careful in how to actually use it.I have used this on my son as he has somehow picked this up like five times now over the past like 16 years?just do that research and it should tell you.good luck,FB

Old 05-28-2006, 11:08 AM   #11
Inactive
(female)

307cc HB User

More than likely because u were feeling unwell, the cold sores came cause of that, if you get run down and are prone to cold sores u can bet they will appear then, when i get coldsores i feel fluey until they go away, i just had a bout of them, and felt like rubbih, they are horrible things but vaseline will do no good at all for them, u need something we call in the uk zovirax, this also is no good if u apply it too late, u need to pummel ur lips with it as soon as u feel tingling. once u start to feel better the cold sores will disappear, but like me always have a zovirax in ur purse u never know when one will strike good luck

Old 05-28-2006, 04:13 PM   #12
(female)

europeansandy HB User

Shyboy, I grew up suffering from cold sores and I'm fairly certain yours came about due to your stomach problems and general illness. I got them every time I had an upset stomach, every time I got too much sun, every time I got stressed. I got them all over my mouth, even small clusters on my face at times.

When I was in my 30's, someone told me about a dietary supplement called
L-Lysine that a doctor said was good for cold sores. I had tried everything else, so I tried that too. And for the first time in my life......something worked!! I took about 1000 mg. 2 or 3 times a day for a week or so, then took one or two tabs (500 mg each) a day for several months. I've hardly ever had a cold sore since then!! If I do feel one coming on (and anyone that's had cold sores knows when you're getting one!), I start taking mega doses for a few days and most times, the cold sore never even developes! My son had also cold sores growing up and I gave them to him when I started. He was around 13 at the time and he's had the same wonderful results I've had.

I don't understand why more doctors don't tell people the poor souls that get cold sores all the time about this wonderful cure!!

Closed Thread