I work at a fast food restaurant, mostly washing dishes, but doing some cooking and other cleaning as well.
I was told by my manager to clean the side of one of our ovens, very greasy and hard to wash so me and a co-worker decided to use bleach, pine-sol, and soap. Shortly after washing the oven, my right arm and parts of my fingers (lower knuckles, especially on my ring finger) turned red and were a little irritated. The rashes went down but every time I wash dishes they burn and now they have gotten a little worse. I believe that the rash on my arm is an allergic reaction but I think the part on my ring finger is a chemical burn.
That was the first part. Last night after getting home, (remember, I wash a LOT of dishes, and never use lotion, so my hands get dry), my hand started hurting a little.. a slight stinging. It got worse and worse until I had to hold my hand open so the skin wouldn't rip and I had to get some lotion to hydrate my hands. The lotion seemed to help but the cuts (or whatever they are) sting for a while after I apply it.
When I awoke this morning, everything seemed to look a little better, so I got up and got ready and went to work again. I didn't use any bleach or get near it today, but throughout the day my hand has steadily gotten worse.
My guess is it's a mixture of my three suggestions, chemical burns, rashes and allergic reactions.
I'm including links to two pictures of my hand. One is brighter, but makes it look less serious than it really is, so I included a darker picture to give you an idea.
Please read and follow the Posting Rules. Picture URL's may not be posted.
Last edited by Administrator; 06-04-2006 at 01:39 PM.
Reason: removed URL
It could be a burn or an allergic reaction (rash). It sounds like you weren't using gloves, am I right? I find that bleach dissolves the skin.
It's never a good idea to mix cleaning agents, as they could cause a serious chemical reaction. I don't know what damage the two together might do, but bleach alone might cause a problem. Soap usually will mix OK.
I suggest that you call your local poison control or find one on the internet and see what Pine Sol and bleach together may cause. If it were me, I would put aloe vera gel on my skin. It has healing properties.
I agree with not mixing cleaning agents.. they can react in some bad ways.
It also sounds like you need to purchase some cleaning gloves and wear them when doing any dishes or cleaning and keep your hands hydrated. I agree with the aloe vera, it will help heal your skin. They are probably getting worse because you aren't allowing them to heal if you keep placing your hands into contact with other chemicals (dish washing soap)..
hi, i have recently broken my leg and am in cast. i was in the garage and a bottle of white spirit had fallen from the shelf and went all othe rmy cast and soaked through to the leg, i didnt think much of it untill about half hour later when i had a burning feelin i rang the hospital and they told me to come, i got there and they cut the cast off and the whole of my lower leg was all red due to the chemical they washed it off and dressed the wound, i went bk the next day and my leg was all burnt with purple coloured skin and was blistered in places, i was just wondering on how long the skin the skin will
take to heal, if the colour will come back to the leg and if the skin will scar