It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2006, 10:28 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

almac HB User
foot pain? blood clot?

Im here in regards to my father.

He's been having problems with his foot. There was no injury that he knows of but he's been having extreme pain and it also hurts to touch. Its located at the back of his foot, his lower heel i guess. He actually gasped in pain this evening... so it seems like a sudden shooting pain.

what do you think it is?

Old 06-17-2006, 06:56 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: foot pain? blood clot?

Look up planters faciaitis.i am not too sure about that spelling of the last word but it should still get you where you need if you google it.this could be it.it hurts like hell from what I have been told.and the pain IS in the heel area.good luckFB

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-19-2006, 10:51 AM   #3
(female)

HH3 HB User

Plantar fasciitis and heel spur are often used interchangeably, and I don't think they're necessarily the same thing. I have plantar fasciitis, and perhaps a heel spur. RE: the PF: Surgery is used as a last option. Treatment consists of night splints, using an orthotic like the Power Step or a custom-made one, ice, and stretching exercises.

Wishing your father good luck with his condition! My foot has hurt for a long time, and a reassessment of my condition looks like PF instead of a heel spur.

Hoosier

Old 06-19-2006, 11:07 AM   #4
(female)

Godsend84 HB User

First off, the good thing is that it does not sound like a blood clot. Heel pain is most often caused by plantar fasciitis -- a condition that is sometimes also called heel spur syndrome when a spur is present. Heel pain may also be due to other causes, such as a stress fracture, tendonitis, arthritis, nerve irritation, or, rarely, a cyst. Because there are several potential causes, it is important to have heel pain properly diagnosed. A foot and ankle surgeon is best trained to distinguish between all the possibilities and determine the underlying source of your heel pain. Plantar fasciitis is an inflammation of the band of tissue (the plantar fascia) that extends from the heel to the toes. In this condition, the fascia first becomes irritated and then inflamed-resulting in heel pain. In the meantime until he can get to a doctor to be properly diagnosed he should try these steps:
Stretching exercises. Exercises that stretch out the calf muscles help ease pain and assist with recovery.
Avoid going barefoot. When you walk without shoes, you put undue strain and stress on your plantar fascia.
Ice. Putting an ice pack on your heel for 10 minutes several times a day helps reduce inflammation. Limit activities. Cut down on extended physical activities to give your heel a rest.
Shoe modifications. Wearing supportive shoes that have good arch support and a slightly raised heel reduces stress on the plantar fascia. Your shoes should provide a comfortable environment for the foot.
Medications. Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), such as ibuprofen, may help reduce pain and inflammation.
Lose weight. Extra pounds put extra stress on your plantar fascia.

Closed Thread