It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2006, 09:14 AM   #1
(female)

bopper HB User
What are these lumps behind my

knees and upper thigh?

About 2 monthsish or so ago, I noticed small hard lumps (pea sized) behind my knee. They are stationary and deep inside. I have to really poke to feel them but they are definately there and definately not there on the other leg. They hurt if I really press on them like I have been to try to figure out what the heck is going on.

Because of a battery of other symptoms I'm having I've been frequently having follow up appts. at my GP's office. So I asked her about them at a recent appt. She chalked it up to Baker's Cysts. I am not agreeing with her. The symptoms I've read are not the same as BC.

I'm wondering if anyone has any anatomy knowledge that can tell me what the tissue is that is swollen.

They lumps are located just to the right of the back of my knee. The first one I noticed is right in the crease where the knee bends. The next five or six or however many there are are spaced about 1/2 inch apart and run up my leg in a north westerly direction (up and toward the inside of my thigh).

Any thoughts? I'd like to know if lymph nodes exist in this area or could it be inflammation in a tendon or ligament.

Old 06-27-2006, 09:23 AM   #2
(female)

pippay HB User
Re: What are these lumps behind my

I think you'll find that if it were tendon or ligament inflammation the entire area would be swollen and very painful, not just the area where the lumps are. There are lymph nodes in that area - it may just be a blocked lymphatic system ... or they could just be varicosed veins !

If you're not happy with the GP's dx ask for an ultrsound scan .. this may show up what the cause is.

Last edited by pippay; 06-27-2006 at 09:32 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-28-2006, 04:24 AM   #3
Veteran
(male)

millpark26 HB User

....or they could be lipomas.

Old 06-28-2006, 06:16 AM   #4
(female)

bopper HB User

lipomas doesn't seem to fit the symptoms either....they are painful...not so much to the touch but rather seem to send pain through the tubey thing that has the lumps...

Old 06-28-2006, 01:39 PM   #5
(female)

vivien.dunn HB User

hi
i have more or less the same i have only one small .. what can be described as a small lump behind my right leg above my knee on lower thigh i have had 2 doctors examine it .... it is soft and movable and the doc says is a lymph gland enlarged a bit still only small it is attatched to my tendon i have been told not to worry as it hasn,t grown i did have a bad fall a few weeks ago and bruised the right leg quite badly so they seem to think it was the fall that made it swell my family think i am totally paranoid about it i have to report back to the docs in 6 weeks to see if it has got smaller i am totally freaked out thinking the worst ... so i sympathise with you .... viv

Closed Thread