It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2006, 09:17 PM   #1
(female)

SH1983 HB User
Painful underarm lump

A painful, raised lump appeared on my left underarm earlier today that I am concerned about. I am planning on having it looked at by a doctor, but I was hoping for some immediate opinions. I am a 22-year-old, otherwise healthy female. I have no history of serious illness and I'm not taking any medications.
There are a few things I thought of when the lump appeared that may or may not be related:
I have had a lesion (on the same side as the underarm lump) removed from my left shoulder two years ago by a dermatologist, however that was relatively minor. Also, I just started my period today (and the lump appeared today). Could it be that hormones caused the lump? Though that does not explain why a lump would appear now, all of a sudden. In addition, I've been to a doctor in the past year because I had some unusual breast pain (that has since gone away). There was an ultrasound done, but no problems were found.
I have no clue what might be causing it. I have read that it could be a number of things. Any insight on this would be appreciated.
Thanks,
S

Old 07-17-2006, 05:02 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

kerri0500 HB User
Re: Painful underarm lump

it is funny that you posted today. I woke up with one under my left arm this morning...lol
Iam thinking it is either a swollen gland or an irritation from shaving....LIke an ingrown hair under the skin or something. I have had them before, they just went a way in a couple of days. If it is a swollen gland, it can be from ANYTIHNG. If it lasts more than like a week, i would get it checked out, but dont panic. Cancer, etc,....does not show up overnight and it would not start out big. mine is about the size of half a dime...goodluck to yoU!

The Following User Says Thank You to kerri0500 For This Useful Post:
Zara27 (07-28-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-13-2006, 12:13 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)

StrongBow103 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SH1983
A painful, raised lump appeared on my left underarm earlier today that I am concerned about. I am planning on having it looked at by a doctor, but I was hoping for some immediate opinions. I am a 22-year-old, otherwise healthy female. I have no history of serious illness and I'm not taking any medications.
There are a few things I thought of when the lump appeared that may or may not be related:
I have had a lesion (on the same side as the underarm lump) removed from my left shoulder two years ago by a dermatologist, however that was relatively minor. Also, I just started my period today (and the lump appeared today). Could it be that hormones caused the lump? Though that does not explain why a lump would appear now, all of a sudden. In addition, I've been to a doctor in the past year because I had some unusual breast pain (that has since gone away). There was an ultrasound done, but no problems were found.
I have no clue what might be causing it. I have read that it could be a number of things. Any insight on this would be appreciated.
Thanks,
S

Did you find out what the lump was? I have one and I think bursitis as well..

Old 01-19-2007, 06:28 PM   #4
(female)

sparky200458 HB User
Unhappy Re: Painful underarm lump

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongBow103 View Post
Did you find out what the lump was? I have one and I think bursitis as well..
I have a bump that came up under my armpit a couple days ago. I had an appt. already with ob/gyn and she said its probably is a ingrown hair or a pimple. Now yesterday under my other arm there is a small bump it hurts if you touch it alittle. What is this? I have an appointment with my family doctor this coming week. So I hope she can tell me for sure what it is.

Old 01-08-2008, 06:50 PM   #5
(female)

june58 HB User
Question Re: Painful underarm lump

i wish i had the answer for the armpit pain. my daughter had a pimple on her armpit. just in a couple of days it got tender to touch and almost the size of a quarter. visiting the dr. he lanced it with lots of puss comimg out. pack it with gauze with a return visit of gauze packing again. with a 10 day regimen al antibiotic. that went away, it has been two weeks and now another one on the other armpit.
any answers or experiences like this.
MOM

Old 01-08-2008, 07:01 PM   #6
(female)

kiefwoman08 HB User

lymph node!

Old 01-08-2008, 08:43 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Soibhan HB User

First of all, I think ANY lump should be checked out by a doctor. But I had something like this many years ago and it was a clogged sweat gland. I used hot, damp compresses, I quit using antiperspirant and used cornstarch baby powder instead for a while. It took several weeks, but soon the lump started to shrink and eventually it was gone. I feel certain it's nothing serious since it came up so suddenly, but I still believe any lump needs to be looked at.
Soibhan

Closed Thread