It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2006, 05:48 AM   #1
(female)

tigerfish HB User
CEA blood test result 2.7 what does it mean?

My mom had her blood test result back, for this year of the annual physical, I asked the Dr to add this, b/c my dad had cancer last year and I just learned a lot about this test...
the normal level is 2.5, but my mom is 2.7, what does it mean???
She had colonoscopy before and according to the last one, Dr has given her 5 years clear, so it can not be that, she has mamogram every year, so it can not be that, she also have Ultrasound test every year and her Liver blood work is normal... the only thing could be is pap smear which she did not do for 2 years... she had one of her overy removed when she was 46 she is 66 now and aa full ysterectomy done when she was 46.
she had no lung problem, what else could go wrong??

Please help

Old 07-22-2006, 07:12 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

GLSheridan HB User
Re: CEA blood test result 2.7 what does it mean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfish
My mom had her blood test result back, for this year of the annual physical, I asked the Dr to add this, b/c my dad had cancer last year and I just learned a lot about this test...
the normal level is 2.5, but my mom is 2.7, what does it mean???
She had colonoscopy before and according to the last one, Dr has given her 5 years clear, so it can not be that, she has mamogram every year, so it can not be that, she also have Ultrasound test every year and her Liver blood work is normal... the only thing could be is pap smear which she did not do for 2 years... she had one of her overy removed when she was 46 she is 66 now and aa full ysterectomy done when she was 46.
she had no lung problem, what else could go wrong??

Please help
While the CEA test is usually used to help detect colon or rectal cancer, pancreatic cancer, stomach cancer, breast cancer, ovary cancer, and lung cancer, elevated levels can also occur due to cirrohisis, kidney failure, IBS, peptic ulcer disease, COPD, or an bile duct obstruction. Smoking can also elevate the numbers. According to many labs, anything below 3 ng/ml is normal for nonsmokers. The "normal" value is up to 5 ng/ml for smokers.

While your mother probably does not have much to worry about, if you're concerned, speak with her doctor.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread