It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2006, 02:44 PM   #1
(male)

humanrain120 HB User
numb fingers in the morning

hi all,

ive had this for a while. two little fingers on both hands. numb/tingly, i have to wiggle them a bit to get them moving properly. this happens when i wake up in the morning.

should i worry about this? as its the extermities i figure i should as its the sign of something else in terms of circulation?

Last edited by humanrain120; 01-11-2007 at 04:47 PM.

Old 07-31-2006, 07:51 PM   #2
(male)

buckeye1 HB User
Re: numb fingers in the morning

If you were a bicyclist, I would suggest that you have "handlebar palsy", a type of nerve damage from repeated shocks to the hand/wrist from road cycling. Even if not a cyclist, what you describe is characteristic of ulnar nerve compression. The ulnar nerve provides sensory input from the ring and pinkie fingers, and is most commonly compressed at the wrist or elbow. This is kind of the opposite of carpal tunnel. Try a web search for handlebar palsy or ulnar neuropathy.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-01-2006, 11:05 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

wakkochic17 HB User

what position do you sleep in at night? I say this because if you are sleeping on your side and on your arm, it may be compressing the nerve while you are sleeping and then when you wake up you feel the numbness. I get that now and then.

Old 08-01-2006, 05:23 PM   #4
(male)

humanrain120 HB User

i sleep on my side. but, i get the numbness in both hands? wouldnt only one side be numb if it was how i slept?

cheers for the replies, i figured my blood pressure was dropping or something horrible to do wth my circuation.

Last edited by humanrain120; 01-11-2007 at 04:47 PM.

Old 08-02-2006, 05:26 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

i think you need to take a look at the ulnar nerve but much further up into the c 8 nerve area of the c spine.since this is in both fingers and not just one,the likelyhood of having the same bilateral nerve damage to both fingers,while possible would be highly unlikely.the more common reason would be something up in that c 8 or even the c 7 area up in that part of your spine is possibly being compromised in some way.there could be just bone spurs that have built up over time at the c 7 or t 1 areas.tho you do not actually have a c 8 vertebrae,you do have that c 8 nerve there between the c 7 and t 1 vertebraes.

i have extensive damage to my c 8,t 1 nerves and the c 8 is what would be governing the pinkie and parts of the ring fingers.mine are adversely affected by the damage.the ulnar and median nerves are what are involved in my particular damage.looking into the c spine a bit more would help alot in understanding the basics of how those nerves run from the c spine on down to the tips of your fingers.

I think a trip to your doc for a simple neuro eval and then a referral for an MRI would probably be your best bet in finding the culprit.it does apper that 'something' is somehow actually touching/compromising at least one nerve in your lower c spine area.you could have many possible issues up there that would cause the numbness in those pinklies.in most cases,this would show with an MRI.it does sound tho from what you described with this showing up in the morning and then slowly dissapating that whatever is actually causing this is probably 'positional"?where the problem only shows(or the nerve is only being affected)when your neck is in certain positions?

at any rate,the eval and the MRI would really be the best place to start to look for the problem.i hope its nothing major for you to have to deal with,some of these issues can be helped without surgery thru other modalities such as PT.good luck and please let me know what you find out,FB

Closed Thread