It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2006, 12:14 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

_mystictiger_ HB User
MRSA.......Help!

Hi everyone,

I have just found out my Gran has MRSA. The doctor phoned me up earlier today and told me her phelgm test came back positive for MRSA. I am my Grans carer and live with her and so does my Mum. I have heard of MRSA and I know it can be infectious because we had a big outbreak down here at the Hospital near my home.

My doctor said she was waiting for a call from the specalist and then she is going to call me back. She phoned me just under one hour ago and said the specalist said Gran has definitely got MRSA, it is nothing to worry about, we do not need to take any precautions or preventative measures to protect myself and my Mum from contracting MRSA and basically to live as normal and dont give MRSA a second thought. I had a go at our own doctor and finally got perscried some Antibiotics because my Gran has a chest infection.

But I am very concerned and very disgusted at the doctor. Hell, she even had a go at me for sending in a phelgm sample to be checked. I thought it was the best thing to do since Gran had been given 7 different courses of antibiotics for a chest infection which didn't make any difference. I was also told my Gran is "most likely" a carrier of MRSA but she can not be certain.

I asked the doctor how did she get this because she hasn't been near the hospital in 2 years! I was told "someone must of brought it in". I asked my doctor can myself and my Mum be tested for MRSA because I have a strong suspicion that I gave it to my Gran. I was told no and we dont need to and just live as normal and dont give it a second thought.

My Gran is 85 years old with Heart disease, Arthritis, Spinal problems, Fluid retention, Diabetes type 1, Hiatus Hernia, Blood disorder, Cyst on Kidney, IBS, Angina, Asthma, blockage in Heart Valve and is basically taking so many medications I am suprised she doesn't rattle. She has so many different health problems yet the doctor doesn't care. I tried to speak to the doctor but I couldn't get a word in edge ways. She really does not care.

I am worried I brought MRSA in because I was admitted to Hospital 8-9 weeks ago and I used the shower room. I didn't notice the sign on the shower door saying do not use till I got out but I didn't think twice about it. Then I got a telling off by 3 nurses and 2 cleaners saying they had disinfected and sterilised the shower room because it can only be used by 1 patient who is infectious. They didn't tell me what the infections was so you can guess what I am thinking now. I hope I didn't give my Gran this MRSA.

I dont know what to do. I think someting should be done about this. Should the doctor of tested me and my Mum? Could I of picked up MRSA at the hospital and brought it home with me? I need as much advice as possible.

What should I do about the doctor treating my Gran like this? I think she is useless. Quacks the lot of them. But someone or lots of people please give me advice aout MRSA, what I need to do and who I need to speak to. I'm literally at my witts end now.

Thank you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-31-2006, 02:01 PM   #2
(female)

princesspixie HB User
Re: MRSA.......Help!

Time to switch doctors, IMO. They should not be paid the big bucks to refuse treatments/testing especially when it is requested by the patient. You can get more info about MRSA by doing a search on the internet. From what I read, it seems treatable, but I would find a doctor who will actually listen to you to treat you and your Gran. Best of luck to you.

Old 07-31-2006, 03:53 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

_mystictiger_ HB User

What is IMO? I am going down to my doctors tomorrow and I am literally, going to have a good go at them and make them do something. I was told its not serious because she doesn't have any open wounds but she must still be contagious. Thank you for your reply.

Old 07-31-2006, 08:21 PM   #4

JennMomTo3 HB User

My husband was diagnosed with MRSA a few years ago, with an infection on his leg. The dr said he was most likely a carrier. Myself or our 3 kids have not had any problems. Until her chest infection clears up, every one in the house wash their hands real good with iodine, that is what the dr told us to do. After a bunch of antibiotics didn't work he was finally put on Clindamician (sp) and that worked. Good Luck, I hope she feels better soon.

Old 08-01-2006, 03:41 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

ICC HB UserICC HB UserICC HB User

mystictiger----------check out the infectious disease board. there is alot oabout MRSA in diffeent threads. first of al it is highly contagious. My daughter just beat it and was told it could come back in 6 months. had her children and husband checked they are clear of it. dr. told her she will probably never know when and where she got it. several antibiotics and over a month down the road she is clear of it. she was told to clean the toilet seat everytime she used it with alcolhol or a cleaning product with a high alcohol content. wash,wash,wash your hands with an alcohol containing sanitizer (at least 62%), wrap the bandages in a plastic bag and tie it shut. wash towels, clothes and wash cloths each time they are used seperately from the rest of the family. It is not something to be shrugged off. highly contagious.

Old 08-01-2006, 11:31 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

_mystictiger_ HB User

Hi everyone and thank you for both of your replies. I am sorry about your experiences with MRSA.

My Gran hasn't got any sores or open wounds which are infected or weeping and I have tried getting hold of our GP but the receptionist said I have to ring back tomorrow morning. I think I'm going to get a 2nd opinion.

Gran does have small blisters on the top of her head (between her eyebrows). There is about 6-8 of them and they are very hard but not obvious unless you are close up to her face. There about the size of a pin head. Is this caused by the MRSA? They appeared about a week ago.

Thank you again

Old 08-01-2006, 11:36 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

ICC HB UserICC HB UserICC HB User

could be. usually people find they have it because they get a boil or some sort of skin eruption. keep us posted.

Closed Thread