It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2006, 11:13 AM   #1
(female)

cutie777 HB User
Exclamation Hole above bum

HI all,

For a while now I have had a lump exactly where the crease of my bum begins (at the top), and sometimes it would hurt when I sat down, sometimes not. About two weeks ago I noticed a sort of red mark appearing on top of the bump (the bump never raised the skin, could only feel it), and this turned into a pimple-like thing. A week later I was on the toilet and noticed that it was bleeding. I pushed it and a huge amount of pus came out along with more blood and tissue (the hole is around the size of a pimple). It bled a little for a few more days then seemed to be healing up, eg, growing a scab, etc.
Yesterday it began hurting again and I could feel the bump once more when I sat down. Went to the toilet and saw that the hole had opened up again and yet more blood and pus came out.

My question is - what the hell is this thing, and will it ever go away?

Thank-you

Old 08-14-2006, 11:59 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: Hole above bum

It's probably a pilonidal cyst. My husband and son both are plagued with them. They don't go completely away on their own, but will flare up and calm down on a cyclical basis. My husband puts up with his, as the flareups are infrequent. My son had surgery for his, because it produced constant drainage that stained his clothes through to the outside. I'm not sure whether the surgery provided a permanent cure; he grew up and lives on his own now, so a mother like me knows when to let sensitive issues like this lie.

You could also opt to have a doctor lance the cyst to get over a painfully acute phase without opting for a full-blown removal of the thing.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-15-2006, 08:59 AM   #3
(female)

cutie777 HB User

Thanx for the input!
Are these cysts always above the bum crease? Or can be all over the body? If it doesn`t clear up then I will have to have it cut out.

oxox

Old 08-15-2006, 10:27 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

As far as I know, that's the only place where they occur. As nasty as the drainage is, you should be happy for it. They can be extremely painful when they don't drain. You can find lots of info about them on the web.
Sorry you're stuck with one... Hope it's better soon.

Old 08-16-2006, 10:56 AM   #5
(female)

TheMamaLisa HB User

Could be an abcess. You should show your Dr to make sure you dont need antibiotics for an underlying infection.

Old 08-18-2006, 01:26 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Karen W. HB User

Hi,
You know my son get those, We normally pop it and clean it out real good, allot of times it dose refill, we pop it again, clean it out with hydrogen peroxide and then we put an antibiotic ointment on it and then cover it with a band-aid, it always goes away, soaking in the tub help too, That crater sour dose heal and it dose not scar, the tissue dose fill in.
Karen

Old 08-18-2006, 02:24 PM   #7
(female)

anxiousgrl HB User

Hi,

I responded a few days ago to your post under the "skin" forum. It definitely sounds like a pilonidal sinus (the hole that is draining pus) and a pilonidal cyst (the lump). Pilonidal cysts are always where you describe and should be looked at by a doctor. I had a cyst flare up about 6 years ago and was not fortunate enough to have a sinus to drain itself. I had mine lanced and so far, I have not had further issues. They usually recommend a removal of the cyst so that you do not have future abcesses.

I would definitey go to the doctor just to make sure that they take care of the infection.

Best of luck!

Old 01-31-2008, 07:11 PM   #8
(female)

cutie777 HB User

Hi all, thanks for your replies, at least I know what it is now!

Does anyone know if veins are involved? I'm noticing that veins above the hole are becoming more obvious through my skin.

Has anyone had one removed? What is involved? I don't really want to go through day surgery then a long recovery - I don't have time!

Thank you

Old 02-06-2008, 01:08 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

SentenceDoing HB User

My brother had a pilonidal cyst/sinus a few years ago and had it removed. From what I remember, the recovery was pretty quick. I think he was back at school a couple days later.

Old 02-07-2008, 09:38 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

My son had his fixed on spring break during his freshman year at college. Easy surgery and very fast recovery. I don't recall that it made the slightest dent in his social life during that break.

Old 02-15-2008, 11:34 AM   #11
(female)

Diana40 HB User

my son was just diagnosed with a pilonidal cyst. I had never heard of it before until now. It caused him alot of pain and an embarassing drainage. He is now having surgery next week. Hopefully it will be gone for good after that. he had to take antibiotics on 2 different occasions to help with the infection. I will let you know how the surgery goes.

Last edited by Diana40; 02-15-2008 at 11:39 AM. Reason: neede to add more.

Old 02-19-2008, 11:06 PM   #12
(female)

lennybird HB User

Recovery from a pilonidal cyst depends on a bunch of different factors. My fiancée was diagnosed with a pilonidal cyst and last October had it excised. His cyst was small and my fiancée is extremely thin, so instead of leaving an open wound, the surgeons sewed him up. The significance of this decision is that the recurrence rate of the pilonidal cyst is significantly higher when stitched up, than with leaving an open wound (resultant scar tissue makes it difficult for a cyst to regenerate). To be quite honest, I'm not sure how long it would have taken my fiancée to recover just from the cyst excision, because he had complications from the anesthetic from the surgery. My fiancée was given a spinal tap, and two days after surgery he developed a spinal headache (hard to imagine, but a million times worse than a migraine). A spinal headache is a debilitating, rare complication from this type of anesthetic, however it can happen. As we found out, conservative treatment had him bedridden for a week. That didn't work, so it was back to the hospital for a blood patch (very very painful). So in all it took my fiancée four weeks to recover fully.
The worst part of it all is that four months later, the cyst came back with a vengence. When it grew to the size of a golf ball, and he could barely get around, I took him to the ER and had it lanced.
In June he'll have it excised a second time, and hopefully this time they'll leave an open wound. Although I have heard from doctors that it can take four weeks to recover fully from that too.

Last edited by lennybird; 02-19-2008 at 11:08 PM.

Closed Thread