HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   General Health (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/general-health/)
-   -   painful lump under left rib cage (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/general-health/419370-painful-lump-under-left-rib-cage.html)

justme231 08-14-2006 08:15 PM

Painful lump under rib cage

[B][/B]Hello all,

This is my first post ever. I found this site to be very informative, so I thought I'd give it a shot. I have a strange problem that began several years back. I developed a hard lump under my left ribcage. Best I can remember, it began after I lost quite a bit of weight in a short time...I was not going about it in a healthy way as I simply was not eating. I developed severe indigestion as a result and was constantly having to force myself to burp to relieve the acid feeling in my stomach. Soon after, I noticed I had developed a hard lump under my left rib cage. It is palpable to me, as when I push it I can feel it move, but only on the inside if that makes sense. It feels like a hard lump and I can tighten my stomach muscles to force it out, and then push it back under my ribs. Over the years, it comes and goes (the lump is always there), but it has become more painful of late, and the pain radiates all the way to my back, and seems to be in the same general area as the pain in the front where the lump is. My rib cage on the left under my arm is tender in spots as well. Sometimes it feels like a burning or scratching where the lump is, and seems to be worse in the morning and at night. Motrin is the most effective for the pain, but it never really makes it go away, just dulls it, plus I have to take so much it makes me sick. Anyone have any idea what this might be, I am about going crazy with anxiety over it. Thanks for reading my post and God Bless!

feelbad 08-15-2006 04:37 AM

Re: painful lump under left rib cage

have you ever actually had this evaluated by any doc over the three years this has been there?had any blood tests run to see if there are any organs that have any out of the norm levels?the fact that you can push on this from the front and feel it in the back,well this could possibly be an enlarged kidney?i am dealing with this as we speak.but I do have a kidney disease that is making both kidneys much larger than the norm.my neph told me while he was palpating the front of my upper abdomen a few years ago(the kidneys were much smaller then they are currently),that he could actually feel my R kidney by just pressing there not in the back where you would normally expect it to be.

i am in no way saying that this is what is going on,but at any rate,this really does definitely need some further evaluation by your doc.anytime you can actually palpate a lump anywhere in your body that you know is not supposed to actually be there,it needs to be evaluated.i would make an appt with your doc to have this checked out.it probably isn't anything major but still does need checking out.please keep me posted as to what you find out.good luck,FB

justme231 09-06-2006 08:37 PM

Hey there feelbad!

Thanks for reading my post. I went tothe doctor and am scheduled fopr an upper GI in a few days. Doctor wants to see if it is a hiatal hernia. I'll keep you posted, and thanks for your response.

feelbad 09-12-2006 06:38 AM

Just wondering how things went and are currently going for you???FB

gastroweirdness 09-19-2006 10:28 PM

I have been having the almost exact same prob. for nearly 6 months now - been shuffled from doc to doc - just curious what you found out.

Lump2 08-19-2007 03:40 AM

I have the same problem. It is most painful when sitting down. My doctor doesn't know what it is and the other doctor she consulted said that I have to cut down drinking and eat healthy, then come back in two months. I don't even drink!!! The first doctor took some blood tests and everything was normal except the liver results were 72, which does not indicate anything serious but are higher than normal. I'm scared that it is cancer and don't really want to wait 2 months. Does anyone have any test results from these lumps?

Recently I have had occasional stabbing pain in my armpits as well and I am just wondering if they are related. This leads me to think of breast cancer, which my mum had when she was my age.

hopesprings2 08-19-2007 09:23 PM

[QUOTE=Lump2;3163649]I have the same problem. It is most painful when sitting down. My doctor doesn't know what it is and the other doctor she consulted said that I have to cut down drinking and eat healthy, then come back in two months. I don't even drink!!! The first doctor took some blood tests and everything was normal except the liver results were 72, which does not indicate anything serious but are higher than normal. I'm scared that it is cancer and don't really want to wait 2 months. Does anyone have any test results from these lumps?

Recently I have had occasional stabbing pain in my armpits as well and I am just wondering if they are related. This leads me to think of breast cancer, which my mum had when she was my age.[/QUOTE]i had stabbing pain in my arm pit.it could be from old infections in the limp nodes.

desy 02-01-2008 09:04 PM

I'm experiencing the same problem: Can only feel it when I tense my abs and when applying pressure on the left hand side of my body, though I don't feel any pain. I've went to a doctor and he couldn't notice it till I tensed the muscles, he wasn't too sure of what it was but noted that it could be a Hernia and made me get a ultrasound which is due soon, I will post the results when they're done.

desy 02-08-2008 02:41 AM

Turns out I have an abnormality with my tendinous intersection.