It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2006, 08:46 PM   #1
(female)

sf4man HB User
Question symptom: feels like burned tongue

I've read several threads about a burning tongue but not sure this is the same; for 4 weeks now the center of my tongue has felt like it was burned. Thinking it might be the result of too many nectarines (2-3/day) I avoided them. However, three weeks later my tongue still feels burned & extremely sensitive to acidic foods (even mild salsa burns for quite a while). I can see that there are tiny little bumps in the "grooves" of the surface (which are red & very sore) when I "roll" the tongue. Warm salt-water rinses do not seem to help. Cold liquid makes it feel better but the (slight) throbbing returns when the cold goes away. Can anyone shed some light on this? I'm 50, hypertensive (controlled w/beta blocker), experiencing some menopausal symptoms, take multi vitamin, calcium, B-12, potassium, diuretic.....

Old 08-27-2006, 01:23 PM   #2
(female)

sf4man HB User
Question could burned tongue feeling be menopausal symptom?

read some threads about burned tongue & I'm wondering if my problem is related to menopause - for 4 weeks the center of my tongue feels like it has been burned - I try to avoid acidic foods as this causes pain (burning) for quite a while. Warm salt-water rinses does not seem to help. Cold helps but the (slight) throbbing returns when the cold wears off. Now I'm starting to wonder if the problem is internal. I'm 50 & have experienced perimenopausal/ menopausal symptoms for about 10 yrs now. Could this be just another symptom in this long never-ending process? I don't want to see the ob/gyn if it's related. I'm really sick of the whole thing!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-27-2006, 03:57 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

deinee HB User
Re: could burned tongue feeling be menopausal symptom?

I have the same sensation of a burned tongue on a regular basis. At first I kept trying to think what I ate that could have burned my tongue, but finally realized it was another peri thing. Now I am fighting hives on my hands and a sore tongue. I am 52 and getting pretty tired of this too. Hopefully your tongue problem will go away soon. take care, Ann

Old 08-27-2006, 04:29 PM   #4
(female)

heitara HB User
Re: could burned tongue feeling be menopausal symptom?

I've been having the same problem for the past year now. On and off. To me it was the centre of the tongue in the beginning. Then it travelled to both sides. Sometimes I can't use a peppermint toothpaste because I feel spikes all over. I also have a herpes zooster inside my nostrils (!!!), thanks to menopause, that comes every month when my period is due. Although I don't know anymore when it's due. I also have kidney gravel that hurts like hell a couple of weeks a month, when my period is supposed to be here. And general itching. What else? Oh well, of course all the other symptoms listed in this forum....

Let's all keep smiling!

"I'm not young enough to know everything". O. Wilde

Old 08-28-2006, 07:43 PM   #5
(female)

lindy2 HB User
Re: symptom: feels like burned tongue

Hi I had burning tongue and i read that B12 may help but i also red that if you dilute tabasco sauce with some warm water and swish it in your mouth that this would help so i did it. It took a while to stop burning but it did subside. and every now and then i get the burning symptom on the tip of my tongue so i just dab a liitle bit of tabasco sauce on my tongue and it seems to go away. MY problem is now i got burning feeling on my chin and the front of my neck. I beleive this may be caused by nerve damage. but don't know how that happened. oh ,Tabasco sause didn't work for this one.

Old 02-08-2007, 08:08 AM   #6
(female)

Goldfish65 HB User

Weird, I have the same problem and I am 41. I have had it for at least 2-3 months. The "burned" area is the first inch or so of the tip of my tongue. Sometimes it is pinker there in a perfect semi-circle. Food and wine don't taste as good now, which is the thing that bugs me most. Sometimes my tongue bleeds a little bit. Ick.

The doc is treating me for thrush. I hope it works. Please update us here on the forum if you guys figure out what is causing your problem.

Old 02-08-2007, 08:13 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hope4All HB UserHope4All HB User

I've had this for 3-4years, mine comes and goes. Mine is normally on the left side of my tongue when I have flare ups. Ive been to an ENT who ran many tests and was told I would just have to live with it for the rest of my life. Dentists see NO problem with my tongue.

Eating makes the pain go away but once I'm done eating the pain is back and it hurts! I thank god for the time periods that it goes away.

Hope

Closed Thread