It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2006, 02:00 PM   #1
(female)

MeganH HB User
Feeling blah, undiagnosed

Hi,

I am an 18 yr old female, very active. I run four or five times a week in addition to being very active with my horses. I have always been in very good health with my only recurrent problems being asthma and depression. The asthma was very easily treated and I am dealing with my depression through counseling.

Recently I began to feel ill though. About four months ago I began experiencing fatigue that was not relievd by any amount of sleep. I chalked this up to a busy show season with my horses and an upcoming high school graduation. The fatigue did not end with the beginning of summer. It got worse. Soon it got to the point where I could barely function day to day. I also began feeling very cold at unusual times, when others were warm or even hot. Now I am cold if the temperature is below 75 or 80. I went to my doctor and she ordered blood tests. While I was waiting for the blood tests I became acutely ill. I experienced extreme fatigue to the point of not being able to work or perform daily chores. I also had severe diarrhea, a complete loss of appetite (and thirst to some extent), a steady urine output despite not taking in any fluids, muscle fatigue and loss of tonicity, irritability. There was no fever or any other sign of infection. I got my blood tests back and they were normal for metabolic function and cbc. The diarrhea went away yesterday after a week, but I still have all the other symptoms, though the fatigue is not as severe.

Does anybody have any idea what this might be? I am sick and tired of being sick and tired. I have lost 5+ lbs in a short amount of time, and it keeps going down. I am not an overweight person, so this could become a problem. Especially since everytime I eat I experience severe nausea with any kind of food. Any help is appreciated!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-31-2006, 06:36 AM   #2
(male)

kmacdona HB User
Re: Feeling blah, undiagnosed

Did your doctor do any liver tests?

Old 08-31-2006, 06:42 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Those are classic signs of thyroid disease and possible accompanying adrenal fatigue.

If your thyroid hasn't been tested, insist on it now. TSH and free T4 at the least. If the doctor is particularly receptive to your suggestions, ask for free T3 and thyroid antibodies as well.

Old 09-02-2006, 02:04 AM   #4
(female)

bailey11 HB User

Hi there, ask your doctor to get your tested for a food allergy/intolerance. You could be allergic to wheat/gluten. Is it all foods that make you feel sick after eating? Or just breads or anything with flour in it? Celiacs goes undiagonosed in alot of people and it can cause major sickness. Try eliminating any foods with flour in it and buy wheat and gluten free products and see how you feel. You may also be lactose intolerant (dairy products)

goodluck

Old 09-04-2006, 06:36 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User

Hi MeganH. I agree to have your thryoid checked. Ask to include the Free
T3,Free T4, and thyroid antibody tests (in addition to the T3, T4). These tests are not usually done but are necessary for a comprehensvie view. Get copies of your results. You may want to post them on the thyroid board at this site. The peolple there aer very helpful and can help you interpret them.

Do you think you could have been bitten by a tick?

Closed Thread