It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2006, 07:28 PM   #1
(female)

pa5762 HB User
Hip pain when lying down

I hope someone has some help for me....For several months now I've been experiencing pain to my left hip area, only when lying down. It does not hurt to walk at all.But when I get to bed, this nagging pain starts and won't let me get comfortable. I haven't had any injury and I only take meds for blood pressure. Any ideas?

Old 09-11-2006, 07:39 PM   #2
(female)

Arline324 HB User
Re: Hip pain when lying down

I couldn't believe this post when I read it, because Ihave the very same thing when I lie down on the right hip. Have had it for a few months also, but have started taking a few Tylenol before bed and I manage to sleep through the night. Sometimes it runs right down from the hip to the lower leg. Have had two knee replacements, so I know it's not knee pain, also know the hips don't need replacing. Let me know if you find out through x-rays or something. Doesn't hurt me to walk either.

Arline

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-11-2006, 09:19 PM   #3
(female)

tltinfla HB User

I had the same thing and after seeing my primary care Dr. and an Orthopedist, it was determined to be Bursitis of the hip. They sent me to physical therapy and did an MRI to find the cause. Over time it has gotten better and the excercises help alot. Check with your physician to either see if that is what it is or at least rule it out. Good luck.

Old 09-12-2006, 05:32 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

I had it too. It's bursitis. You can confirm it by sitting upright on a hard surface, forming the leg/hip joint into a 90° angle. Slip your fingertips just underneath that angle. Press firmly. If you get a stabbing pain, it's bursitis.
I relieved mine by using over-the-counter naproxen sodium (Aleve) according to directions, around the clock for at least a month. It would be best to get a doctor's approval to take it for that long a time.

Old 09-12-2006, 10:43 AM   #5
(female)

Arline324 HB User

Thanks for the information - we think of bursitis in the elbow or shoulder, but of course, why not the hip??? Did the test and it hurt, hence, bursitis. Big help. Thanks a lot.

Arline

Old 09-13-2006, 04:44 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

thegardener HB User

I also had hip pain after I pulled a muscle but I found the easiest thing in the world to correct it when you lie down. Place a small pillow between your knees (Of course it works only if you are a side sleeper). This aligns your hips. By putting the knee up it stops the pulling/pressure on your hip. Good luck.

Old 10-06-2006, 11:04 AM   #7
(female)

Kharma HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1
I had it too. It's bursitis. You can confirm it by sitting upright on a hard surface, forming the leg/hip joint into a 90° angle. Slip your fingertips just underneath that angle. Press firmly. If you get a stabbing pain, it's bursitis.
I relieved mine by using over-the-counter naproxen sodium (Aleve) according to directions, around the clock for at least a month. It would be best to get a doctor's approval to take it for that long a time.
Arghh, that's what I woke up to yesterday morning and it's gotten worse since then. Got maybe 3 hours of sleep last night. Saw Dr. this morning who told me it was bursitis and he prescribed Naproxen. I think it's 500mg twice a day and also Vicodin. He said it was most likely from the treadmill at the gym. I can't recall being so miserable in a long time. The Naproxen is strange, my resting pulse is 92 right now, normally it's in the 60's.

Old 10-06-2006, 05:15 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Ahgh ... you poor thing.
I would put money on the Vicodin being the cause of your elevated pulse. "Anxiety, fear, dysphoria" are listed in the side effects, any of which coud raise pulse. No such side effects are listed for the naproxen.

I took an over-the-counter dose of naproxen - 220 mgs twice a day for at least a month. Tried very hard not to miss any doses. Even after the pain had subsided, I kept taking it in order to quell the very last of the inflammation. It worked.

Just a suggestion for that treadmill walking. You need very cushiony shoes that are in good condition. If they're the least bit broken down, it will aggravate hips, knees, ankles, etc. You can't always tell how worn shoes are by looking at the tops. I've had cheaper athletics that lost their cushioning in about 3 months; the New Balances I wear now last about 8 months of daily wear and treadmill. If you have any doubt about the cushioning power of your shoes, just cave in and get a new pair. Your hip will thank you.

Old 10-06-2006, 05:55 PM   #9
(female)

Kharma HB User

Hee, I haven't taken the vicodin yet. I'm chicken LOL. The pulse thing subsided after about 30min so maybe it was just anxiety. Right now my hip is feeling LOTS better so the Naproxen kicked in this afternoon. it's still very hard to move but the pain has subsided greatly.

I hear you about good shoes. I love New Balance, but I started wearing Swiss Masai MBT's a year and a half ago and I love them. I have very flat feet and my ankles and knees were always killing them. They alleviated the pain of that totally and I don't even get sore feet and hurting ankles anymore.

If I had to guess, I've been being more aggressive on the treadmill. My trainer has me really ramping up the incline doing "intervals." After 20 min. of warming up I'll raise the incline really high and trudge into it for 2 minutes, then back down for two minutes. I do this for 10 minutes. It's been a good workout but maybe it's a little too intense for this old lady

Closed Thread