It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2006, 07:59 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User
sprained foot

how long to recover? Do I need to stay off of it? I have forzen peas on it right now, and elevated. Took a couple of naproxen. I thought at first I broke it bc I broke that leg in 1998, though was told I probably couldn't break it again-darn, if it hadn't been for that stupid wolf spider!!!!!!!!

Old 09-22-2006, 08:44 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User
Re: sprained foot

hmm, guess I should have a doc peek at it-also read of a search here it may take 2-6 weeks to heal, if it is a mild sprain. Will keep it up all night, see how it looks and feels in the am. Go from there. THe peas were melting so they are back in the freezer, will put them on again later. I know, talking to myself

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-24-2006, 06:54 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: sprained foot

Oh,Mel,Mel Mel,its always somthin isn't it?i DO know how you feel there,lol.haven't seen a post from you in a while,was kinda hoping you had some sort of a 'miraculous healing',of all of your many issues,guess not,huh?

can you bear weight on it at all without like wanting to die?amazingly,it appears when it is actually a break,you can more likely bear weight than when it is actually just a sprain.i know this was also true with my sprain.i thought for sure i had broken it as everytime i even tried to get my butt up off the ground when i landed after a fall with that leg kinda underneath me?(ice on a sidewalk did me in)i could not actually stand on it at all,it just kinda folded(the foot).

the thing is,in most cases a break will not do as much damage to the soft tissue and surrounding structures as a sprain does.mine took like a full year to actually completely 'heal'.while an actual break would have generally healed within about six weeks or so.you most definitely need to have this evaluated and x rayed by your doc.as soon as possible.you just need to find out for sure whether or not you are dealing with a break or bad sprain.

you should be following the RICE protocal,rest,ice,cold/compression,elevation.i think thats what i remember it anyways.the elevation actually serves two purposes,it helps reduce pain and throbbing and swelling.the peas were good,but you really do need a couple of cold packs.just because of my kids constantly being injured in some way all the time,i used to keep those blue,refreezable cold packs(four,at all times) in my freezer.now i keep them just for me and MY pain issues.but the rule of thumb is 20 minutes on every hour,for the first 24.after that you can alternate hot/cold.you need the cold for swelling and pain and the hot needs to be introduced to help keep a good blood flow to promote healing.and you are right on with the anti inflammatory meds.

depending on what the outcome is(is it actually broken?)the hot and cold pack thing may not be a possibility in a cast.but trying to stay off of it as much as possible and the elevation(the foot always above the level of the heart when lying down)when sitting, just having up above the floor to the level where you cannot feel the throb anymore is good.the more time spent with the foot down or standing will force more blood and fluid to the area and will possibly cause undur swelling,so you want to just keep off your feet as much as possible,at least for the next few days anyway.the better care of yourself you take at the onset of the injury will dictate how quickly you will heal.that healing is pretty individual and depends on how good your body is at healing and the true extent of the injury.hopefully things aren't too bad.but get thee to an urgent care or ER,i really wouldn't wait til tomorrow,unless you feel okay about it.but you DO need this evaluated and definitely x rayed.

please let me know how things go mel.and don't worry about talking to yourself,i have some really great conversations with myself all the time.it's only when i start arguing with myself and get a bit out of hand that i ask someone to please just slap me.hope all goes well.Marcia

Closed Thread