It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2006, 01:11 AM   #1
(male)

BasketballJones HB User
infected piercing

hi about 5 days ago i got my upper ear pierced professionally. everything was going good i cleaned it twice a day with a solution given to me by the piercer. until yesterday when it began to get hot and swell up. it felt like i could feel my heart through my ear. I suspected it be an infection, it had all the symptoms but it had absolutely no pus. I went to the doctor bright and early this morning and discussed it with a new doctor who i wasnt familiar with and felt a lil uncomfortable. i talked about a few things so i completely forgot what she said to do with my ear. now the ear is not it pain anymore tho a lil red and a lil hot but is still swollen. I know its probably infected but i am a very worrisome person with anxiety and panic attacks and wondering should i take it out or leave it in. i want to put something on but i dont know what to use since i heard not to use petroleum products like neosporin and not to use alcohol or peroxide. i just want it to clear up i dont want to get an abcess or anything. i wouldnt mind takin it out but i dont want to the holes to close around the infection. the main thing bothering me is the swelling. i wish my doctor was more specific. thanks for the help and sorry for the long paragraph.

Old 09-27-2006, 05:37 AM   #2
(female)

Dragon Fly HB User
Re: infected piercing

Hi
I had my upper ear pierced about 6.5yrs ago so I don't remember if I had any problems after it was done.

What do you have in it, a stud or sleeper?

I find if I leave a stud all the time my ear gets a bit sore and hot, what I usually do when this happens is change my stud for a sleeper and using the antiseptic lotion spray (the one for the care of newly pierced ears) I spray some on the ear ring before I put it in, then spray some on my both sides of my ear and turn the ear ring it helps soothe it.

If I were you I would bathe it two or three times a day and put a sleeper in for a little while so you can turn the ear ring with the antiseptic lotion spray on it.

Hope this helps you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-27-2006, 01:20 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

jen52983 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BasketballJones
hi about 5 days ago i got my upper ear pierced professionally. everything was going good i cleaned it twice a day with a solution given to me by the piercer. until yesterday when it began to get hot and swell up. it felt like i could feel my heart through my ear. I suspected it be an infection, it had all the symptoms but it had absolutely no pus. I went to the doctor bright and early this morning and discussed it with a new doctor who i wasnt familiar with and felt a lil uncomfortable. i talked about a few things so i completely forgot what she said to do with my ear. now the ear is not it pain anymore tho a lil red and a lil hot but is still swollen. I know its probably infected but i am a very worrisome person with anxiety and panic attacks and wondering should i take it out or leave it in. i want to put something on but i dont know what to use since i heard not to use petroleum products like neosporin and not to use alcohol or peroxide. i just want it to clear up i dont want to get an abcess or anything. i wouldnt mind takin it out but i dont want to the holes to close around the infection. the main thing bothering me is the swelling. i wish my doctor was more specific. thanks for the help and sorry for the long paragraph.
When you say "professionally" do you mean with a gun at the mall or at a tattoo/peircing parlor?

If it is a stud in your ear than it is more likely to get infected because the jewlry is not allowing the peircing to "breath." If you went to a parlor then they should have been wise enough (if they were a creditable shop) to use a hoop.. which heals much nicer because it allows for better cleaning.

Skip the doctor. If you think it's infected, go back to the place you got it peirced. They are more properlly educated in how to take care of such things.

When my belly ring was infected I used a Q-tip of Benedine (the orangey-brown stuff) once, maybe twice a day.. (no more than that because you don't want to dry it up totally) and my infection cleared up in 2-3 days.

This is coming from someone who currently has 13 individual peircings.. a few have been removed over the years. My first cartilage peircing was from a stand at the mall.. that one would flare up, then be ok, then flare up then be ok. I'd get a giant blister behind inbetween my ear and the back of the stud. I finally removed it.. had it replaced a while later at a real shop, with a hoop!

Good luck!!

Old 10-29-2006, 07:26 PM   #4
(female)

kimb0091 HB User

I agree with the previous post. Call us the place that did the piercing - they're usually more helpful than any doctor about this type of stuff. I wouldn't recomend taking it out. I've been told that the earring can actually hold the infection so that it doesn't spread. I have 10 piercings currently, and have taken a few more out. The only ones that I really had a problem with were the ones that I got done at a 'mall' piercing shop. Good luck!

Closed Thread