It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2006, 08:58 PM   #1
(female)

librarygirl2 HB Userlibrarygirl2 HB Userlibrarygirl2 HB User
Puffy swollen face, nose, lips

I don't know why my face has been so puffy and swollen in the past 12 months. I'm currently checking with various doctors about this. My cheeks seem chubbier, nose widening, lips are thicker, weight is the same for the past several years (exercising more though), feeling colder, hair falling out, extremities get numb sometimes when cold, crack my wrists all the time, more muscle soreness, heavier periods, and hands get puffy when I walk a lot.

-I've tried to take Claritin to see if it might be allergy-related. Didn't help.
-I've had an MRI done to see if it's a pituitary issue (acromegaly-related) and the tests came out negative. Whew!
-My TSH is fine at 2.8 but my endo says it's slightly elevated (>2.0 is elevated). She's running more thyroid test including antibodies. I'm wondering if I might have Hashimoto's. I'll find out next week about my bloodwork.
-Had teeth pain for longer than 6 months. My dentist says my teeth are impacted and I need to get wisdom teeth taken out. I also had a root canal done in 2001 and they put a fake tooth over it but it's ****-eyed now and now there's some decay around where the fake tooth meets with the original tooth. Not sure if the wisdom teeth (upper left side has pain from wisdom tooth pain) and root canal (upper left side) causing infection where it can puff my face. My dentist had to give me antibiotics and pain killers in July to get the pain to subside.
-Have a very high platelet count (790,000 where the range is 100,000-400,000). Going to see a hematologist about this next week.
-Not currently taking any drugs or vitamins.
-My ferritin level is 53.
-My face decreases in swelling when I drink much more than average amounts of water.

Any help would be extremely appreciated. I know aging results in looser skin but I'm only 36 and I feel like I look like a fat face when I'm not fat. Last year, I had a perfectly defined face and I haven't gained weight at all.

Thanks.

Librarygirl

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-06-2006, 10:53 AM   #2
(female)

clover899 HB User
Re: Puffy swollen face, nose, lips

Get a test on your cortisol level. I think it really may be because your producing too much cortisol.

Old 10-07-2006, 08:06 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

I have a feeling we'll be seeing you over on the Thyroid Disorders board shortly. Your endo is a very progressive and seemingly enlightened doctor. That's very hopeful for you. Most are stuck in the dark ages.

Old 10-24-2006, 09:52 AM   #4
(female)

Thanks for the replies. My endo has prescribed Synthroid 50mcg and so far my face is still swelling. Especially my mid-cheek area, nose, and lips. She diagnosed me with Hashimoto's Thyroiditis. Willl keep you all updated.

Old 10-24-2006, 09:54 AM   #5
(female)

I also had a 24-hour urine cortisol test and my result was 43.1. The range is <45.0. My endo didn't think I had a problem with my cortisol test.

What do you think?

Old 10-25-2006, 09:16 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

You should not expect the Synthroid to be a fast fix. It takes weeks or months for the hormone to be gradually absorbed to an optimal level, and then it takes even more time for the damage done to the body to repair itself.

I don't know as much about low cortisol, except that it can make thyroid treatment more complicated. Low cortisol can make the body unable to process the Synthroid. You appear to have a smart and able doctor if he even thought to test your cortisol and to have found the Hashimoto's. Having a good doctor is more than half the battle.

Join us on the Thyroid board for support and information ~
[url] http://www.healthboards.com/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=122 [/url]

Old 10-25-2006, 11:31 AM   #7
(female)

Hi Midwest1

I don't think I have low cortisol. My lab indicates that the urinary free cortisol is at 43.1. The expected range is < 45.0. It looks like I'm in the high end of the range and definitely not in the low end.

My Thyroid Peroxidase AB lab test is 10 and the expected range is < 35. I asked my endo about this but she tells me that just because my number is lower than 35 doesn't really tell much about antibodies that I may have. Is this true?

Thanks!

Old 10-25-2006, 01:27 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sorry... I see now that I misinterpreted your cortisol result. It is within range, but that's all I can comment on in regard to that.

It's true that no TPO antibodies at all would be the "most" normal. The fact that a person has some - even though well in range - means there could still be autoimmune thyroid trouble going on. Plus, were your Tg antibodies tested? You might have a high titer of anti-Tgs that also are indicative of Hashi's. Some folks on the thyroid board have had onlyh anti-Tgs, without any measurable TPOs. Give your MD huge credit for diagnosing you with the TPOs in range. There is a lot of patient neglect in the thyroid world, and endos can be the worst about it.

Closed Thread