It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2006, 01:22 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

stevie_23 HB Userstevie_23 HB User
Weird very sore skin on left side of face!

Every now and then I get this weird thing...this time it was the worst it's been though, and was there for 3 days. It's almost back to normal now...

It is as if someone has been rubbing harsh sandpaper on the left side of my face. My eyebrow hurts and it hurts to blink or move my eye at all, cause it pulls on the skin slightly. To touch the skin even lightly is so sore and feels so sensitive. Even chewing food hurts, if i eat on that side cause the heat or cold from the food and the food pressing against the mouth hurts the skin on the outside.

To look at me you'd see absolutely nothing out of the ordinary. My skin looks perfectly fine. No redness or irritation. It's not like that anyway...it doesn't feel burning or burnt, or bruised or anything. It just hurts...it's hard to describe. Almost like the skin hurts from the inside...and this time even the left side of my tongue hurt, the tip of the left side of my nose was really tender, and the left side of my throat was sore.

It's so strange. It's like an invisible line down the middle of my face. I was testing it yesterday, and when I touched the middle of my chin but a little to the right, it was fine, but then I moved over a tiny bit to the left, and ow. The same with my forehead. I'm fine on the right side, but move over to the left, and it's pain. It's like a mask that's on this side of my face that causes pain.

Anyone? It could be a nerve thing, but I wouldn't even know where to begin looking for information!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-10-2006, 02:27 AM   #2
(female)

AmyW HB User
Re: Weird very sore skin on left side of face!

Could it be a tooth infection? What about an ear infection? Sometimes that makes the whole side of your face hurt like crazy. I'm looking around online trying to find another possible diagnosis for you. I would go see a doc regardless, just to be safe. Please keep in touch, let me know how you're doing.

Old 10-10-2006, 11:10 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Soibhan HB User

Sounds like a tooth or a sinus infection to me. I would highly recommend you visit your doctor because you may need an antibiotic to clear this up. If it's been going on for a while, it's obviously not going to go away on it's own. Good luck and let us know what you find out!
Soibhan

Old 10-11-2006, 12:22 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Hmm, I thought of these things too, but...I've had this weird skin thing for YEARS and I've never really had an ear or sinus infection and certainly don't have one now...

Also, until about 2 years ago, the affected skin was always either confined just to my eyebrow or my lower arm. So that can't be an ear, tooth or sinus problem!! LOL. Also, my skin all over my body would often do it when I was sick with a fever, and then once the fever went down so did my skin...but these days there's no reason for it, and it's changed to my face for some reason. *shrug*

Also, each time it happens, it's generally is there for a few days and then goes completely back to normal...so...I don't know. So weird!

Old 10-11-2006, 11:01 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

mayam HB User

Hi Stevie

Try looking up trigeminal neuralgia. Sounds as if it might be a mild form for the face symptoms. Don't know about the arm. Have you seen a Doctor?

Maya

Old 10-16-2006, 11:24 AM   #6
(male)

ahnold11 HB User

Wow,

So I just searched for these very same symptoms that I have been having these past few days, and lo-and behold, someone with similiar symptons. What a coincidence.

I'm having similiar issues. It's currently confined to the upper right quadrant (my right, same side as right hand) of my face. From my cheek boone to the start of my hairline and middle of my forehead.

Started a few days ago go, and has persisted for the last 3-4 days. I've also had similiar experiences in the past, often where my eyelid would prove to be "sore", almost as if it were bruised (so that touching it would cause that familiar dull feeling of pain), usually only when looking in certain directions. Would normally not last that long. Maybe for a day or two. I never really thought much of it.

The pain is pretty much the same you would get, with a particularly bad (infalmed) blemish (pimple) on the face. How the skin around it would be irriated, and "sore" to any prodding. However there are no visible signs of irritation.

There is also a faint sense of numbness. Not so much that you cant' feel, only that feelings are slightly dulled (much like the very after effects of a limb that has "fallen asleep". A very minor version of that).

I'm guessing it has something todo with nerves. Possibly a nerve (or nerve cluster) that is being pinched and or physically irritated in some fashion.

One thing worth noting, in at least my case, is that I have been using an anti-dandruff shampoo for the last year or so (Neutragina T-Gel, with active ingredient coal-tar) in a semi-regular fashion (1-2 times per week). From what I've read this shampoo shouldn't be releated, and doesn't list any side-effects similiar, however it is a shampoo that causes a bit of "tingling", and coal-tar doesn' thave the most sterling reputation as far as medicinal ingredients go (there are concerns of it causing cancer).

But it's only on my scalp, and not on my face. I do use other face-care products (clensers, scrubs, astringints, etc), but have used them for many years without any problems, so I doubt it'd be that.

For reference, I'm a mid twenties male, who lives in Toronto, Canada. I doubt it's an environmental thing, but the fact that both things came up at almost the same time is a bit intriguing.

Lemme know if you find out anything, and I'l do the same,

(PS. I just now noticed you are from Australia, so it's not that. Although I did spend a month on the Gold Coast last summer ('05), in Sufer's Paradise. Likely just another coincidence though heh)

Thanks

Last edited by ahnold11; 10-16-2006 at 11:26 AM.

Old 10-20-2006, 12:33 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

Wow, that's a bit weird, eh? LOL.

Toronto is apparently similar to Melbourne, Australia, in terms of temperatue. Im from Melbourne originally..lived there for 25 years. I have lived on the Gold Coast for the past 3, and have had these weird skin things in both places...meh. Somehow I doubt it's that. LOL. Too far fetched.

I use anti-dandruff shampoo intermittently with other shampoos, but not the Neutrogena one...*shrug* Hmm...

I think it's a nerve thing, but I don't know what causes it except just some naturally-occurring, hopefully harmless thing.

Earlier today, the top right hand side of my face felt like this...just the side above my eyebrow, down to my cheekbone...it's mostly gone now though...it was a really quick one. I had a bad headache for some reason then too, which is also gone.

Do you ever find you feel like you've got a fever at the same time as these things? I sometimes do, but I don't actually think I do have one. It just feels like it.

Anyway, it's nice to know I'm not a complete weirdo. LOL.

Old 10-30-2006, 09:24 AM   #8
(female)

Karen58 HB User

I have experienced the same type of thing for years, not bothering to have a checked out cuz it seemed to disappear just as fast as it came! I've had the sensation as well on my arm. And I had noticed that 'sometimes' this feeling would come as an indication I was getting sick? like a flu or cold?

Old 11-05-2006, 11:48 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

Hmm, yes, sometimes in the past I'd have the pain on my arms or even entire body if I was a bit sick and particularly if I had a fever...weirdness.

Last night I had it on the outer side of my right hand for about 2 hours, and then it went away. *baffled*

Old 11-06-2006, 05:29 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

I think your best bet here in order to try and find the cause and possible Dx of this would be to seek out a good neurologist and have him or her just take it from there with regardsto any teating that may need to be done.it wouldn't hurt to have an MRI done on the brain as well asthe c spine to see if anything there could be causing this to occur.you can have problems within the c spine area that can lead to symptoms in the face and head only because tyhere are some cranial erves that actually run down from the head and into the c spine and then around the c 8 nerve junction,they loop back up into the face again.

i have some pretty significant c spine spinal cord damage from a surgery and also the rest of my c spine is a real mess.this is currently causing me to have what are called "parasthesias"(this is the technical name for what you are experiencing) in my face.these are pretty much centerd around my upper lip and nose and back of my throat,but the areas you have described could be affected inthe same way.the sensations and the pain really DO sound neuro/nerve related.this just needs to be looked into for the actual cause or what is affecting the nerves that run thru those areas.you really do need this evaled by a good neuo doc.he would know the very best way to try and find the answers for you.

i do wish you luck with this and hope the Dx process wont go on forever.sometimes it can take alot of time and many tests in order to properly Dx a condition.good luck and please let us know just what you find out.FB

Old 05-10-2007, 03:35 PM   #11
(female)

mcshuford HB User

It sounds as if you are suffering from TN (Trigeminal Neuralgia) or something close to it - you will need to see a neurologist for treatment and proper diagnosis - there are medications and procedures that can be done to help alleviate the pain....I hope this helps

Old 08-29-2007, 02:21 PM   #12
(female)

MazdaMX5 HB User
Post Re: Weird very sore skin on left side of face!

All my life on and off I've had these episodes of very sore skin, maybe as often as once a year, so tender is the skin that if a feather were to brush against that area (for some reason usually a small patch on my lower forearm) it feels incredibly painful. I've been trying to find out what it is without going to see the doctor but can't find anything online other than this forum lead. I don't go to the doctors because by the time my appointment would come round, the skin is back to normal. The skin never looks any different to when it is not sore so outwardly all appears normal. My daughter also suffers from this condition from time to time. Today I'm just getting over a 3 day bout of this thing that has affected the right hand side of my scalp and face which is a first. Until now, the only places affected have been my hand, arm, and torso.
I have lived in New Zealand for the past three years and previous to that lived in the UK so I doubt it is an environmental thing.

Old 08-29-2007, 03:18 PM   #13
(female)

MazdaMX5 HB User

Just Found Out What It Could Be, Check Out Allodynia, At Last An Answer

Last edited by mod-anon; 09-16-2008 at 05:03 AM. Reason: removed quote

Closed Thread