It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2006, 03:29 PM   #1
(male)

adam933 HB User
Question heavy pulse on right side of neck?

i'm not sure if i always had this going on but, for a few weeks now when i place my fingers or hand over the right side of my neck and down to my collar bone i feel i heavy pulse. i noticed this when i strated feeling i little pain in the mornings and sometimes during the day. i can feel a small lump right below my jaw bone. the lump has some discomfort too. its about an inch long by a 1/4. i thought is was a swollen lymph node. my doctor felt it about a month ago but didnt comment. i also feel this jumping feeling in the right side of my neck at times. any ideas or comment would be appreciated.

thanks, Adam

Old 10-12-2006, 05:05 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: heavy pulse on right side of neck?

what do you feel on the other side of your neck in that carotid artery?was your doc also aware of the difference in the pulse or just the lump thing?FB

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-12-2006, 05:41 AM   #3
(male)

adam933 HB User

i can feel and see my pulse in my neck on both sides. i had a carotid artery ultrasound done in july. everything was ok except my right side pumps the blood harder and the artery is a little bigger then the left. this pulse i feel is away from that. it's more towards where my neck and shoulder meet. i dont feel it on my left side. i havent seen my doctor since i felt this pulse thing. as far as the lump, she didnt not even comment on it. just felt it and said "umm". also, my average blood pressure in my right arm is 145/77 and my left arm is 130/80. i have been on BP pills for about 4 or 5 months during those months my blood pressure was around 120/85 in my left and 128/85 in my right. in the last month my BP has risen.

thanks, Adam

Old 10-13-2006, 05:36 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

something is obviously causing one side to have a much higher pumping velocity.in alot of cases such as this,ther can be something(like a plaque or other things) that reduce the area so the blood gets rather "squirted" thru the artery rather than a nice even flow.thats why the blood flow has that higher velocity.its kind of like when you place your thumb over a garden hose?the water will squirt harder thru that reduced area and also squirt farther.you know what i mean?just how far down did they do the ultrasound?i would imagine it couldnt have been too far from the neck area?

at this point,doing an actual angiogram would not be a bad choice here.they just squrt dye into the femoral artery at the groin area and watch on a big screen just how and where the blood flows.this would also pick up on any partial blockages within an artery.its really not as bad as it sounds,trust me.i have had about five of them now with another one coming up within the next month.i have had a couple of odd vascular malformations develop,one inside of my spinal cord that i guess i was born with and the the other,discovered about a year ago,which is an aneurysm in my brain.they wouldn't have to shoot the dye up as far with yours as they do mine tho,so thats good.

i just really do think,inorder to find the reason for the increased velocity that an angio would be the way to go.i would discuss this with your doc at your next appt.this could just be a congenital thing,and the way your body just is,or there could be some partial obstruction going on that may need some attention,if the later is the case,you would really need to know that soon.hopefully this is something that can be corrected with a stent placement or some other minor thing.good luck and please let me know how things are going,K? FB

Closed Thread