It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2006, 11:18 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

Dark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB User
Antacid tablets as calcium supplements?

I sat down and read the nutrition information on a container of antacid tablets out of boredom a couple weeks ago, and it never even crossed my mind that they're chock full of calcium. Does anyone else use these for the purpose of the calcium? I don't really drink much milk or eat anything that contains a significant amount of calcium (mostly because these foods with calcium are high in fat), and since I'm at an age where I've only got a few more years where my body will actually absorb calcium, I figured I should try to get some in my body.

I just wish these things didn't taste so darn rancid.

Also, will anything bad happen if I were to take too many of these? I know my mother used to buy antacid tablets that tasted just like Smarties and I would eat them by the handful and she told me it wasn't good for me. Wouldn't the extra calcium just get expelled from my body like any other vitamin in excess?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-12-2006, 12:12 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: Antacid tablets as calcium supplements?

Those tablets contain calcium carbonate, which is technically calcium, but it isn't the best to use for building bones. Yes, MDs tell their patients to use them as a supplement, but the truth is that cal carbonate is the least absorbable of the cal types. Besides that, it needs an acid source to dissolve at all ... and since the purpose of an antacid is to eliminate acid in the stomach, what good can that cal carbonate possibly do your bones if you just excrete it the next day?

If you want to build strong bone, take a calcium citrate product with added vitamin D and magnesium citrate. Mag and D are also needed to metabolize the calcium.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-12-2006, 05:55 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Bracelet HB User

If you are looking for a really great supplement for Calcium, you should get Citrical. I bought the petite sized tablets, and they are much easier to swallow.

Last edited by Bracelet; 10-12-2006 at 06:08 PM.

Old 10-13-2006, 07:21 AM   #4
(female)

rcatbunn HB User

Yes, never take calcium carbonate!!!! that can cause so many issues for you. Dr's tell you to, but it is not a good idea. A great calcium source is kelp. You can buy it at many stores (ie walmart) or organic markets, it comes in pill form and is a natural calcium and is VERY high in calcium. Also make sure if you take a calcium supplement to take magnesium. The magnesium helps you body digest the calcium properly into your blood stream and that way the calcium is doing what you intended for it to do. Many people take calcium without magnesium and do not absorb the calcium like they think they are. You can take a calcium magnesium combo, but most combos come with the calcium carbonate and not the calcium citrate. Also, your body produces acid in the stomach for a reason, to break down food. If you take antacids you deplete your bodies ability to break down food properly and will end up with MANY health issues because of it. Also your body does not ABSORB the calcium carbonate. Hope this helps! There is a great book that will help out, so google untraprevention and you'll see what I mean!

Old 10-13-2006, 07:34 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Quote:
You can take a calcium magnesium combo, but most combos come with the calcium carbonate and not the calcium citrate.
Not completely true. Caltrate Plus contains cal citrate plus vit D and magnesium, as does one of Walgreen's house brand products. The Vitamin World product I take is a combination of three kinds of calcium (carbonate, citrate, and aspartate), three kinds of magnesium (oxide, citrate, and aspartate), and vitamin D.
It's crucial to read labels in order to know what a product consists of.

Old 10-13-2006, 08:01 AM   #6
(female)

rcatbunn HB User

[QUOTE=midwest1]Not completely true.

I said most, not all.

Closed Thread