It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2006, 12:58 AM   #1
(male)

fox1 HB User
Bad breath!

Hi there,

I'm wondering, once and for all (!), what is the deal with bad breath?

OK, so I do the lick-the-arm thing, and much of the time, I don't really like what I get in return. Is that common?

The things I do to try and avoid bad breath include....: drinking lots of water, tea, flossing, cleaning a lot, generally not eating crap, eating lots of fruit and veggies, and last but not least, mints.

Am I missing something!?

One other big thing with bad breath is the morning breath thing. Now, I know, if you sleep with your mouth open all night, you are asking for bad breath. So, I try to keep it shut!! but.. not easy!

How do you get rid of the thing!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-29-2006, 03:47 AM   #2
(male)

noptical HB User
Re: Bad breath!

There are lots of causes for bad breath and there are already lots of threads related to bad breath with plenty of useful info. Search the forum and read all the big bb threads you can find.
Our last bb thread is this one: [url]http://healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=424849[/url]

Good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-29-2006, 08:08 PM   #3
(male)

fox1 HB User

i did search before my thread, and I didn't find much.. but I'll try again, when I have a moment. ANyway, I'll check out that thread also. [url]http://healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=424849[/url] Thanks

Last edited by fox1; 10-29-2006 at 08:08 PM.

Old 10-31-2006, 07:25 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sannah HB UserSannah HB User

Are you brushing your tongue when you brush your teeth?

Old 10-31-2006, 03:46 PM   #5
(female)

NYLady1976 HB User

Yes, brushing your tongue is very important. It's full of bacteria, and could be causing your problem.

Old 10-31-2006, 07:34 PM   #6
(male)

fox1 HB User

thanks I'll do it..... !

by the way, so, just out of interest... the idea of "a sweet-smelling tongue". Is that, normally, a realistic 'goal'?!

Old 11-01-2006, 12:58 PM   #7
Inactive
(male)

pantherwrestler HB User

Do you brush your tongue each day and floss? You need to do this consistently in order to stop the bad breath.

Add a mouthwash, nothing expensive to your daily hygeine and see what happens. There are mouthwashes out there which do not burn and are good at stopping bad breath, and are fairly cheap.

If this does not work, there may be an underlying medical condition causing your problem. Schedule an appointment to see your dentist.

Old 11-02-2006, 08:22 PM   #8
(male)

fox1 HB User

will do . thanks for the good tips!

Just on the tongue, so, brushing the tongue really does rid a lot of bacteria, and go towards solving the prob.?

I ask because I have tried it a couple of times, and, while sorta fun and quirky to be brushing the tongue, I don't know if I feel I'm doing that much !

Also, how far back is the real spot to "target". I almost retched this morning!

Old 11-02-2006, 09:45 PM   #9
(male)

coeric HB User

hi. there is no sure fire way to cure chronic bad breath yet. but oceanside, among others, are working on that (check the other thread for more info).

for now what most people do is treat it as best they can to get it as tolerable as possible. my regimen includes dr katz's toothpaste and mouthwash, baking soda + water salt mix, tounge brushing, and of course flossing. i also use a saline solution to clear my nose. though i havent tried these, other regimens like nasal irrigation and that oil of oregano regimen someone else mentioned sound like they might have potential. but who really knows. i can tell you from long experience that almost all products fail in the face of aggresive bacteria. as far as diet goes, foods you want to decrease intake on are: sugars, proteins, and dairy products.

take care.

Old 11-05-2006, 01:10 AM   #10
(male)

fox1 HB User

thank you my friend. workin on it!

Let's see.. I clean thoroughly, clean tongue*, eat yoghurt*, mouthwash, floss...

About tongue-cleaning: it's fun and all, but I'm just wondering how effective it is. Doesn't feel like I'm doin much on it!

Yoghurt: old-fashioned, plain yoghurt, is it really good for the stomach and the system?.. and, by extension, the breath?

I suppose fresh fruit and vegetables are good too, and I'm eating more and more of those lately.

Baking soda + water sounds interesting.. how do you find it works?

Less pasta, less carbs, I'm guessing? I eat quite a lot of fish too .....

Oh yeah, one major factor, as far as I know, is sleeping with your mouth open!! Dry mouth has to fight all the bacteria on its own. anyway, so what are the best weapons in this war on bacteria...

Old 11-11-2006, 11:14 PM   #11
(male)

fox1 HB User

I'm here to tell you (out there, that is..) that the cure to bad breath is fruit and veg, fruit and veg, and more fruit and veg!

but anyway, still, does anyone know, is natural plain yoghurt good or bad!?

Old 11-12-2006, 11:25 AM   #12
(male)

noptical HB User

Well yogurt is supposedly good but it didn't help me with bad breath at. They say its good for the digestive system so I guess that's normal...

For tongue cleaning the best tool you can use (which also renders all tongue scrapers useless) is the TUNG brush. It costs only 5$ (and 5$ for the gel) if i recall correctly and it really works wonders on cleaning that white stuff from the back of the tongue (something which no tongue scraper helped me with).

About the fruits and vegs. Sure they might help a bit but do you really see everyday people eating tons of those to get a relief from bad breath? Me neither. This means the problem is somewhere else and while fruits and vegs are good for you, they're still not a cure.

I wonder what happened to oceanside, BUSTED2 and the rest. Our main bb thread was closed causing havok again (thanks hb mods...)

Old 11-12-2006, 12:54 PM   #13
(male)

BUSTED2 HB User

I'm still here noptical, but nothin new, so there's no reason to post. I do read your posts sometimes to see if you've made any progress.

Old 11-12-2006, 03:23 PM   #14
Inactive
(male)

damaniam HB User

Yeah, your diet affect your breath.

You may also have enlarged tonsils that trap food. check it out ;-)

Old 11-15-2006, 12:32 AM   #15
Inactive
(female)

lala-whatsnext HB User

acid reflux?

Closed Thread