It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2006, 09:46 AM   #1
(male)

b dog HB User
Weird feeling in left arm and chest, abnormal heart beat

Hi

I am 18 years old and I've been having some issues and they're getting worse and i'm worried as hell now. It started with me getting what is thought to be asma a few weeks ago, i have trouble breathing sometimes and my heart would race, and I have a ton of excess saliva and flem. A couple weeks ago I bought an over the counter inhaler and a few kinds of allergy pills to help with that.

Starting yesterday, I began to get a weird feeling in my left arm and the left part of my chest, near my heart. It got worse throughout the day and began to turn into a burning feeling, then a tight feeling, and finnaly a numb feeling. My heart beats hard and fast during any activity. Now i'm not the most fit person, but it's never beat all crazy like this until now. Today my left arm is still numb and me chest still feels really odd, kind of a burning feeling near my heart, and if i push on my left hand it hurts and feels tingly. I have a ton of anxiety, but that may be because I searched for these symptoms and got the answer that these are the symptoms for a heart attack or stroke. I have had anxiety problems in the past, so it may be making this worse but anxiety isn't the cause of this. My dad said to stop using the inhaler because it could be the cause of this. I don't even know if the breathing problem is asma because I haven't gone to a doctor yet. I was thinking the arm thing may be carpet tunnel syndrome, since I use a computer and video games a lot, but that doesn't explain the whole heart beating problem, does it? Thanks for your support!

Last edited by b dog; 10-30-2006 at 12:21 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-01-2006, 09:27 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

trg247 HB Usertrg247 HB Usertrg247 HB User
Re: Weird feeling in left arm and chest, abnormal heart beat

heart stuff should not be taken lightly. Go see your doc

trg247
Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Current Meds
Pristiq
Cymbalta
Seroquel
Temazapam

Old 11-02-2006, 01:45 PM   #3
(male)

b dog HB User

I went to the doc yesterday, he didn't have any idea what it is, gave me some flonase for my stuffy nose, took some blood, and told me to come back in a month... anyone else ever feel like their doctor is no good?

Old 11-02-2006, 10:25 PM   #4
(male)

kmacdona HB User

Quote:
i have trouble breathing sometimes and my heart would race, and I have a ton of excess saliva and flem. A couple weeks ago I bought an over the counter inhaler and a few kinds of allergy pills to help with that.
Why? Did a doctor tell you to do that?
Quote:
Starting yesterday, I began to get a weird feeling in my left arm and the left part of my chest, near my heart.
The heart is in the middle of your chest.
Quote:
My heart beats hard and fast during any activity.
That's what hearts do during exercise or activity.
Quote:
My dad said to stop using the inhaler because it could be the cause of this. I don't even know if the breathing problem is asma because I haven't gone to a doctor yet.
Your "PARENT" should not have let you have the inhaler if you have not been seen by a doctor for asthma. How did you get the prescription for the inhaler?
(Oh, that's right, you self diagnosed and bought an over the counter medication. ) Matter of fact, you can actually put yourself in cardiac arrest taking a drug that effects that heart when you don't even have the medical condition that requires the medication you're taking in the first place.
Your "anxiety" is normal, not a condition. It's your conscience telling you somethings wrong.
You also said
Quote:
Now i'm not the most fit person,
Try some moderate exercise. Start slowly. Fitness doesn't happen in a week or two. It's progressive change over time. Do 10 push ups a day for a week, then the next week do 12. Then the next week do 15. See where I'm going?
Do sit ups. Start with 5 every hour every other day for a week then do 10.
Ok, I know I went off track. But what I'm saying is unless a doctor told you to do the inhaler, don't use it. If a doctor did give it to you, then go back and tell him it's making you ill.

Who told you to take this medication without seeing a doctor?

You know, I've read your post three or four times before responding and each time I still shake my head. You are 18. You don't have Carpal tunnel syndrome from playing video games. Maybe if you were employed all day for years at a computer. But not playing video games. Do a google search on "Carpal Tunnel" and you'll find more information.

But...
Lay off the over the counter meds!! You don't need those. Don't self diagnose yourself.
Are you planning college or something else"? You said you were 18 so I wanted to ask to be nosey.
Post back,
Let me have it.
MaC

Old 11-02-2006, 10:36 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

chikkie14 HB User

I somehow have the same symptoms as you have bdog! weird feeling in the chest and tingle in the left arm and sometimes weird heartbeat... I just had my endoscopy last friday and the GI said its GERD..I was also worried about my heart as one time that all this symmtoms accured pretty bad I was rushed to the ER, they did a series of tests, xrays, ECG etc.. but didnt find anything bad with my heart... after the endoscope my GI said its my irritated esophagus that is causing my chest problems, because it tends to spasm... I amnow on Prilosec 40mg daily and so far I am feeling the improvements already... although I still feel the things from time to time but thank God its not as bad anymore... as for the asthma... I think its your inhaler thats causing you to palpitate... as asthma meds are known to do that... You hsould have consulted your GP first before taking any medications to be sure... and its also a good way to clear your anxiety which also goes hand in hand with GERD.

Old 11-03-2006, 04:32 PM   #6
(male)

b dog HB User

The test results came in today and nothing was wrong in my blood, and I am going back Nov 22 for some kind of heart tests... right now i'm more concerned about my breathing problems- weezing, hard to breath, fluttering in my chest and a crap load of saliva and flem. This wasn't my main concern when I went to the doc before because it wasn't very bad until the night after I went to the doc, go figure. Now it's horrible, I think I may be allergic to the dogs but who knows, doctors don't seem to be able to figure anything out.

kmacdona,

I told the doctor about how i'm having breathing problems and think it might be asma but he didn't seem very concerned about it, and didn't even tell me if I have it or not, surely he could have checked somehow? I bought the over the counter inhaler because I described my symptoms to my brother who had asma his entire childhood, and he said it sounds like asma. I told my doctor I used the inhaler without being diagnosed with asma and he didn't seem upset about it. If it makes you feel any better, I have stopped using it. Yeah I now know I don't have CARPEL tunnel syndrome after researching it a bit.

I have been doing push ups and sits up and walking every day.

I've had quite a few health problems throughout my life, if I went to the doctor for every one of them it would cost a crapload, doctors are VERY expensive and some people have low income. I still rely on my parent's to take me to the doctor and to pay for it (yeah it's taking me a while to move forward in my life)

I have thought about going to college but right now i'm working on my drivers license (after having lost my permit for a month and pleading my parents to drive me to the DMV to pick a new one up, of course one of them can't take a hour off of work to drive me there) Right now it's just difficult to survive with both of my parents being self centered maniacs and giving me a very rough childhood and not seeming to know how to help their teens move forward (my brother who is 21 still lives with my mom and is a alcoholic who is addicted to drugs, and she simply lets him do whatever he wants)

So anyways, my reply has gotten so big I forgot what I was talking about. Hopefully my next doc appointment will bring in good results, if i can survive this "asma-like condition" for another 21 days.

Last edited by b dog; 11-03-2006 at 04:37 PM.

Old 11-03-2006, 04:52 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

velvet48 HB User

well first thing i would do is get a new doctor. this one doesn't sound concerned about his patients at all. if you are having trouble breathing and having pain down your arm and in your chest i would think they would take you in right away for testing, like ekg etc and test for asma.

if these symptoms do not let up, go to the emergency room, they will have to test you to be sure you are ok before they can let you go.

but get yourself a good checkup for all of this pronto.....

and also, if you are having anxiety problems, you need to take care of that as well as anxiety can really cause havic in your body.

good luck and please let us know how things are going

Old 11-03-2006, 05:14 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

_mystictiger_ HB User

Hi there.

I just read your post and it sounds Asthma and Anxiety related. When you have Asthma you will cough up Phlegm. This also occurs when you have a chest infection. If your breathing "plays up" you will experience a fast heartbeat because your Heart is not getting enough oxygen and chest pain, unfortunately, comes with Asthma when its not well controlled.

Is there a history of heart disease in your family? Do you have panic attacks of ever worry is various situations and this causes your heart to pound and for you to have chest pain and breathlessness?

This really does sound Asthma and/or Anxiety related. Its good your Doctor is performing some heart tests to rule anything wrong in that area. Once these come back you can stop worrying. Meanwhile, try not to worry too much. Easier said than done I know and when you feel these attacks coming on, breathe deep and slowly and slow down your breathing.

Its normal for your Heart to beat fast during exercise or activity but it isnt normal for your heart to beat fast when at rest or while sitting down, resting. But it can be normal if you're on medication as some medications speed up your heart rate. One of the side effects.

Inhaler can also cause fast heart rate. What inhaler did you buy? What is the doseage? How often are you taking it and do you feel any relief after taking the inhaler?

Old 11-03-2006, 11:55 PM   #9
(male)

kmacdona HB User

Thanks for posting back. Since your symptoms seem prolonged it may not be a very far stretch to think maybe pneumonia. This happens to very young people. and when it does it's overlooked a lot by doctors because of the age in the patient.
I agree with Velvet48, you should go to the emergency room if the problem persists. They will treat you. But make sure they know ALL your symptoms and history. Don't go there and say you feel better at that moment. Let them know about everything.

And in honesty, I think the anxiety was from the drugs you were taking to counter act the pain. In all honesty, I would change doctors, talk to your parents. I mean really sit down and talk to them. Tell them your hurting.
Make sure the doctors take a look and say your ok.
In the meantime...look within, and find your future. You know what you want to be, you just have to do it...
MaC

Old 11-04-2006, 09:58 PM   #10
(male)

b dog HB User

Mystictiger, The inhaler is from Rite-aid, it says it's a bronchodilator bronchial mist, and it says under that epinephrine inhalation aerosol usp. I had stopped taking it ever since the arm pain, and my dad said the inhaler probably caused it, plus I haven't been diagnosed with asma and it says to take it only if I have been. I only used it 4 times, one spray a night and I did feel relief after using it, should I keep using it? Tonight is the 4th night where these breathing symptoms have been consistently bad, and during the day i'm messed up a little also. *edit* My breathing is so bad tonight that I decided to use 1 spray of the inhaler, simply because I couldn't take it anymore. It seems to be making it at least a little more bareable.

Ok, I went to a urgent care place, and they said to go to the ER so I went, and they said everything is normal ... and the doctor said he thinks I have anxiety, yet how and why he thinks this is beyond me. He gave me 10 xanax and said to go to my doctor if it continues. Well I hope all goes well =D.
Thanks all for your support and help.

Last edited by b dog; 11-05-2006 at 07:15 PM.

Closed Thread