It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2006, 03:08 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

*Versailles* HB User
Treatments for Tendonitis??

Hello,

I've had chronic and very frustrating tendonitis in both of my wrists for over four years now. It is very hard for me to have been diagnosed with this because I was once a pianist, and am still trying to do my art. The pain is unbearable at times, and I really can't do anything at all when it is at its worst. It's funny how I would take it for granted until I couldn't use my hands. When it's bad I can't even pick up a plate, turn a doorknob, or hold a glass up to my mouth without spilling it.

I think I could probably deal with the pain if that's all it was, but the shaking has me extremely frustrated. If I do even a little light lifting, afterwards my hands shake so bad that I can't take a drink from a glass unless I hold it with both hands. I just really wish I could get my ability back to play some piano, and be able to draw without having wavy lines everywhere.

Does anyone know any treatments that work well for tendonitis? My doctor told me to give up ever playing piano again, but I'm not ready to give up. I want to find a way.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

-Vers

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-22-2006, 02:32 AM   #2
Veteran
(male)

Willapp HB User
Re: Treatments for Tendonitis??

Are you sure this is tendonitis? I can understand the pain being caused by this, but I didn't think shaking was a symptom? Did your doctor actually tell you that this is the problem?

Personally if your hands shake that badly, I would get a second opinion and/or demand more action. Tendonitis should go away if you rest for long enough and take anti-inflammatory drugs.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-22-2006, 03:02 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

KittenPaws HB User

Shaking is an symptom of tendonitis.

Mines "under control" at the moment. During my bad times i had to take frequent breaks, wear a splint/brace, anti inflamitories etc. but things do have good days and bad days. I wouldnt give up piano playing, i dont think the doctor had any right to tell you that you will never play again. you may have to cut back and 'rest your tendons' more often, but i would never give up my passion

Old 11-22-2006, 07:21 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User

Physicial therapy is the standard recommendation for tendonitis. But, from what you describe, if it were me, I would be looking for a practitioner of the Feldenkrais method or the Alexander Technique.

Old 11-22-2006, 05:20 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

*Versailles* HB User

Thanks for the replies.

I was diagnosed by a doctor for tendonitis when I was first having problems. I did not ever return to the doctor that told me to give up piano. I was so hurt I never saw her again. I've tried resting in between use, but just can't seem to get back to playing the piano again.

Maybe I will check into the therapy. I'll try just about anything if it offers a possibility to play piano again, even just a little. I've even been researching into safe homeopathic treatments. I haven't found any that look good, but I've found a few herbs/supplements that might be options for reducing the ongoing inflamation.

Take care everyone,
-Vers

Old 11-29-2006, 02:53 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

CoyoteBound HB User

My sister does the same thing. She can pick up things and it not really heavy and she will grab her wirst and she said it hurts and burns. What kind of brace can she buy to wear that may help her?

Thanks,
Jan

Closed Thread