It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2006, 07:09 PM   #1
(female)

ivorysunsets HB User
Pain on left side

About 3 months ago, I would get an occasional pain in my right upper quadrant of my abdominals and in my right shoulder/collarbone. At first, I thought it felt like pulled muscles, but over the course of a week, it became increasingly sharp and I would have these "attacks" where it was really painful to breathe or move. I went to a doctor and he suspected gallbladder problems. However, the blood tests (hep and cbc) and gallbladder ultrasound both came back fine and the doctor basically offered no other explanation of why I might have had the pain. The pain stopped, so I just let it go.

This past Sunday (2 days ago), I felt a similar pain, but it is on my left side....around the bottom of the ribcage, on my side just beneath by my breast, and in my left shoulder. It feels like pulled muscles, but I know I didn't injure myself and, when I breathe hard (due to exercise), it is really painful. The pain has come three times during exercise and once at night and it lasts for about an hour at a time. It's painful to breathe when the pain is there.

Any ideas on what this can be? I have suspected digestive-related....10 days ago, I had severe bloating and gas for 24 hours (and I never had anything like that before)......since then, I havant noticed anything unusual, but this all did start after my eating habits changed over thanksgiving. Alternately, I have also wondered if there is anything up with my lung - when the pain is there, I can't breathe in all the way. I don't know if all this is related, though, or even if the pain on the left is related to the pain I used to have on the right - it just feels very similar.

I'm 26 (female), never sick, don't smoke or drink, have no existing medical conditions I know of...so I am reasonably healthy. I have been working out daily for the past year, though I could probably stand to lose 25 pounds (and I have lost 60 additional pounds in the past year through exercise and diet).

Any ideas or thoughts? Thanks!

Last edited by ivorysunsets; 11-28-2006 at 09:22 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-29-2006, 06:38 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User
Re: Pain on left side

How is your diet? Do you eat plenty of fiber (20-30 grams per day)?

Old 11-30-2006, 02:00 PM   #3
(female)

ivorysunsets HB User

Thanks for your reply, auntjudyg....I don't really pay attention to fiber, but I probably should. I do eat probably equivalent to 4 servings of wheat bread a day.....I didn't eat many whole grains the weekend the pain started, so maybe you have something.

My problem's not bothering me enough to worry anymore. It goes away if I take excedrin and I don't have any other symptoms, so I'll chalk it up to just being random pain and just worry if it keeps going on for weeks or gets worse.

Last edited by ivorysunsets; 11-30-2006 at 02:01 PM.

Old 12-03-2006, 10:22 AM   #4
(male)

WRD321 HB User

I had similar episodes around your age and finally discovered that creme in my coffee caused them. You may have a food allergy ? be wary of too much sage in dressing !

Old 12-03-2006, 03:20 PM   #5
(female)

huffnpuff HB User

It can still be gall bladder, even if they didnt find any stones. Sometimes a non-functioning gall bladder can cause such symptoms. My mother suffered for years with that, no stones, and pain that made her walk the floor. Eventually, they figured out what it was and it was removed. No more pain. Good luck.

Old 12-03-2006, 06:05 PM   #6
(male)

Saverain HB User

Have you been tested for food allergies, wheat, dairy? Do you have any cyst like bumps on either of your wrists? Is your skin dry? Do you feel dehydrated?

Closed Thread