It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2006, 01:06 AM   #1
(male)

Matt Dart HB User
Persistant problem, long post, anyone please help..

Hello everyone. Beginning a few months ago, I've gotten many strange symptoms that after much frustration, self research, and many doctor visits, is still a problem continuing to negatively affect my life. I was posting hoping some one might be able to offer some insight, or advice.

First about me:

I'm a 22 year old male, 160 pounds, 5'11, fairly tall, fairly skinny, fairly inshape despite almost no exercise (bad, I know)
Eat extremely well (good mix of diet, takes vitamins, eats lots of fish, relatively little junk food, love Japanese food)
Quite poor sleeping habits, working a lot (Studying engineering at school and a lot of personal research hobbies on the side)
Living in Eastern Canada
Often stressed, but not enough to really have a huge mental impact
Known allergies: penacillin
Never had surgery, never had any major chronic illness
Diseases in family: Diabetes and arthritis on father's side

Here's a list of every symptom I can think of that I have:

-My body has become very VERY snappy. Almost every joint (tendon? something?) in my entire body is extremely cracky and makes a cracking noise at even the slightest movement. This is particularily true of my left shoulder, and the joints connecting my pelvis bone to my legs. This was never painful, but is getting progressively worse and is becoming quite painful.
-I don't feel well almost all the time. I feel drowsy often, and am unable to complete an entire day of work without becoming exhausted. I just feel sick and strange.
-My left hip joint is extremely strange. When I walk, it snaps every step I take, and I can feel something moving inside (tendons? The bursa surrounding the joint? No idea...). This does not hurt, however.
-When I lift my arm up above my head, the tendons in my arm snap loudly sometimes.
-Recently, When I twist my wrist or arm around, I can feel the tendons (I think they're tendons) in my arm in the bicep area making a scraping sensation. If I feel my arm while doing this, I can feel them popping around in my arm. This did not hurt for a long time, but has become rather sore lately.
-My eyes are very strange... Blurry a lot, Sore, I have a sharp pain jutting from my right eye to the back of my head sometimes. Also, they often 'flicker', like, shake and pulsate. I could describe it as the same sensation as a bug trying to crawl out under my eye lid.. Almost every time it happens I freak out and its really quite frightening.
-Concentration problems
-Sometimes moving around makes my insides feel really aweful... its as if all my insides are caving in or something... The tendons (or muscles or whatever is there) between my two shoulders feel very tight and painful often.
-Leg muscle cramps
-Usually on days off I feel relatively well. Especially when I have two days off in a row, the second day I usually feel fine.
-Headaches - these headaches are at the back of my head usually
-Pain around my heart (happens fairly often...)
-Shortness of breath
-Palpatations
-Recently, on particulairily bad days I feel a numbness in my face, always on the left side, same side as the cracking shoulder.
-These symptoms seem to come in full and really hit me sometimes, then die off for some period. They tend to be much worst when: 1. I am stressed 2. I have not gotten a good sleep or 3. I drink something with caffeine in it.

Things I DON'T have:
-irregularities in blood cell count
-any swelling of any sort
-nausea
-memory loss
-sensitivity to cold / heat
-headaches, heart problems
-rheumatoid factor and any signs that could point to rheumatoid arthrytis in my blood

Sorry for the long post everyone, but this is something I'm thoroughly worried about.

The sore chest started over a year and a half ago, and everything else maybe.. 8-9 months ago.

History with doctors:

The pain in my chest around my heart was the first thing that happened. I of course was very concerned because of the proximity to my heart, so went to the hospital many times and had many X-rays and blood tests. Each time they told me that there was nothing wrong. They thought maybe "pleurisy". I was usually sent home with medicine or nothing

Following this was the muscle cracking. I've gone to the doctor countless times and had many X-rays of bones and chest X-rays.. There is never any result. Always, everything is perfect.
I've had many extensive blood tests. Everything is perfect. No rheumatoid factor, no diabetes, no anything. I've had an ultrasound of my stomach-abominal area - nothing

(One thing they did find... a kidney stone. I have no idea how long its been there, and I have not passed it yet. Could this be related??)

Anyway, my pain and fatigue and frustration will not go away so I have done a ton of my own research.

I came up with:

Lupus - the doctor said "unlikely" without any real reason given..
ALS - the doctor (and many others) said unlikely, does not resemble ALS, etc
diabetes - tests revealed I do not have diabetes
rheumatoid arthritis - no rheumatoid factor
Fibromyalgia - again, told by doctor that it was unlikely
Bursitis - This sort of seems like bursitis, but ALL over my body... bursitis is not like this right? I don't think it is bursitis.

I really have no idea.. But recently I was thinking about multiple schlerosis.. I do live in a high risk area and the symptoms seems reasonably matching. Judging by the symptoms, in my opinion (based on limited knowledge of course), it seems like a neurological disease or a disease of the connective tissue. MS seems very broad and difficult to diagnosis. Can anyone offer me any help?? Any advice/help/anything, no matter how little would be great.

I apologize for the long post, but I really am concerned about this and it is progressively getting worse. I intend to see the doctor yet again once my final exams end, but I don't know what I'll say this time other than the same things I've said before.

Thank you to anyone and everyone for any comments

--Matt

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-07-2006, 07:20 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

dustoffkid HB Userdustoffkid HB User
Re: Persistant problem, long post, anyone please help..

Have you been checked for Lyme disease? It's prevalent in our area ( I live just south of Kingston, ON).

Old 12-07-2006, 08:00 AM   #3
(male)

Matt Dart HB User

How does one check for Lyme disease? I was wondering about Lyme disease as well and was told it was "unlikely" by my doctor. Again, no reason was given and no tests taken. Should I push for some kind of test?

--Matt

Old 12-07-2006, 08:55 AM   #4
(female)

Je23 HB User

Definitely. All because it's 'unlikely' doesn't mean it can't happen. I have a friend who was diagnosed with gastric cancer a few years ago. He was was only 14, and the first two doctors whom he related his symptoms to said it was 'highly unlikely' that he had this form of cancer at such a young age and called it reflux. Luckily his parents took him to an oncologist just to be sure and guess what. They found it. I'm not saying you have cancer or anything but like I said, 'unlikely' doesn't mean anything. It's your health, push for whatever tests you feel necessary.

Old 12-07-2006, 09:41 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

dustoffkid HB Userdustoffkid HB User

It's a simple blood test. I'd insist on it.

Old 12-07-2006, 03:42 PM   #6
(male)

Matt Dart HB User

Hmm, okay, thank you for that, but I have had some extensive blood work done. I'm not sure what exactly was tested, but the doctor insisted they were testing for like everything that seemed reasonable, and they took like 8 tubes of blood out of me. Is there any sort of X-ray that can be done for tendons? I feel like I have tendonitis all over my body..

Also, would an MRI or something be a waste of time? Does it seem neurological to anyone in the know?

Thanks a lot!

--Matt

Old 12-29-2006, 10:21 PM   #7
(male)

bweb HB User

These symptoms seem to come in full and really hit me sometimes, then die off for some period. They tend to be much worst when: 1. I am stressed 2. I have not gotten a good sleep or 3. I drink something with caffeine in it.

I know that engineering is a very focused subject to study. You most probably have been studying hard for years and putting a lot of stress on yourself...maybe your parents have pushed you..

Anyway, what I am saying is that it seems your medical tests are very good.
The mind and stress can directly affect how we feel. I am dealing with similar issues, too. I hope that I am correct, but you should also listen to your own body to make the correct judgements on what is going on.

Old 12-30-2006, 02:54 AM   #8
(female)

smackliet HB User

I think you should ask your dr if he thinks it could be tendonitus and yes you can have it every where. It can cause alot of joint pain and snapping and popping. It is worse when the body is tensed up so it would explain why it gets better after a couple days rest. Also on top of it it sounds like you are very stressed and may be dealing with angziety. Angziety can cause stange feelings in the stomache exhaustion and chestpain. There is also a condition called costo chroditis that causes the severe chest pain. Try doing some research on it. Also there is a stress topic on these boards you could check it out and see if it fits at all

Closed Thread