It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2006, 09:20 AM   #1
(male)

manlyman HB User
Paranoid about hardening of the arteries

Hi all,

Ever since I heard about this and reading about people with high blood pressure, I've been semi paranoid about hardening of the arteries.

My cholestoral is fine, I don't smoke, I don't drink, I eat healthy, I work out a lot, and the only medical problem I have diagnosed is high blood pressure, which is treated with an Angiotensin II blocker and a Calcium Channel blocker.

Recently, I had a CT scan of the heart and an MRA of the kidneys --- no blockages were found. But I read about hardening of the arteries, and my paranoid self (I am in treatment for anxiety, no worries) began pushing on the two arteries on the inside of my left wrist. I noticed that they feel kind of hard. I read that arteries are supposed to be "soft and elastic". The arteries on the inside of my wrist seem fairly hard... but then I noticed that when I move my wrist they get harder and softer as I move... I guess because muscles around them are contracting and tightening.

If I lay my arm upside down on the table in front of me, and push on the arteries, they seem about medium --- they hard definitely rigid and tough, but I can push up and down on them and they don't feel like a brick wall.

Anyway, am I being overly paranoid? Is pushing on arteries a really bad way to self diagnose this? My doctors tell me I'm fine, but I'm paranoid.

Thanks,

Matt

Old 12-19-2006, 09:29 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

dustoffkid HB Userdustoffkid HB User
Re: Paranoid about hardening of the arteries

To answer simply, yes. Pushing on the arteries is a bad way to self-diagnose this. Hardening of the artieries is not something that can be "felt" through the surrounding tissues.

It sounds like your doctors have been doing the right things, ,and you seem to be living a healthful lifestyle. Keep doing what you're doing, and please, ask your doctors these questions, too. I promise they won't laugh at you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-19-2006, 09:34 AM   #3
(male)

manlyman HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustoffkid
To answer simply, yes. Pushing on the arteries is a bad way to self-diagnose this. Hardening of the artieries is not something that can be "felt" through the surrounding tissues.

It sounds like your doctors have been doing the right things, ,and you seem to be living a healthful lifestyle. Keep doing what you're doing, and please, ask your doctors these questions, too. I promise they won't laugh at you.
OK Thank you for making me feel relaxed.

My doctors have told me that per the CT scan, MRA of the kidneys, cholestoral tests, stress test, EKG, holter monitor, etc. etc. all coming back normal, the only issue I have is high blood pressure, and I don't have hardening of the arteries.

I didn't "push" on my arteries while in their office, but i assume if I had shown them what I'm feeling, they would have said what you just said: the tests are more accurate.

Thanks Also... if high blood pressure (controlled) is my only problem, and I keep cholestoral, exercise, stress, etc. in check, are my risks significantly lowered for developing this in the future?

Old 12-19-2006, 09:39 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Definitely.

Old 12-19-2006, 09:44 AM   #5
(male)

manlyman HB User

Quote:
Definitely.
Thank you for making me feel better I got high blood pressure when I was 19, and it made me:

Stop eating mcDonalds
Eat right
Work out a lot
Lose 70 pounds
Never smoke
Completely quit drinking
Reduce stress

I think getting high blood pressure was a "save" in some respects: made me adjust my lifestyle so much the negative outweighed the negatives I would have done had I not stopped all of the bad stuff

Old 12-20-2006, 07:31 AM   #6
(male)

manlyman HB User

OK. Still paranoid. One more question that should relax me.

I had a CT scan of the heart, MRA of the kidneys, stress test, EKG, 24 hour holter, 24 hour blood pressure monitor, and an echocardiogram (full and partial, three months apart). If I had hardening of the arteries, one of these tests would have found it, correct?

I'm 23 and I don't want to worry about this anymore. I know "pushing" on your arteries in your wrist is a bad way to diagnose this, but compared to some and/or most of my friends, mine seem a lot harder than theres. Then again, I weight lift, so I have stronger muscles in that area, but the arteries themselves (unless its the tissue surrounding the arteries that seem hard) seem very tough and rigid.

Old 12-20-2006, 08:15 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

OK. I WILL SAY THIS ONCE AND FOR ALL.

You can NOT feel hardening of the arteries by touching the veins in your arm (or anywhere else). That's not what "hardening" means.

And yes, the tests you've had WOULD show it.

I can't imagine why an otherwise healthy 23-year-old would have that kind of workup. That'd cost upwards of ten thousand dollars.

Old 12-20-2006, 08:58 AM   #8
(male)

manlyman HB User

Quote:
OK. I WILL SAY THIS ONCE AND FOR ALL.

You can NOT feel hardening of the arteries by touching the veins in your arm (or anywhere else). That's not what "hardening" means.

And yes, the tests you've had WOULD show it.

I can't imagine why an otherwise healthy 23-year-old would have that kind of workup. That'd cost upwards of ten thousand dollars.
By veins in arm, do you mean the arteries in the arm?

The work up is what scared me. My doctor(s) ordered it since i was 19, and its made me quite paranoid.

Old 12-21-2006, 05:05 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Yes. Veins, arteries, vessels. Anything through which blood circulates.

Did you ask the doctor why he ordered all that? It sounds like he's the one you need to be talking to.

Seriously, I am not trying to put you off, but you have questions that need to be posed to your provider. See if you can talk to a nurse over there, or make an appointment to speak to the doc. It sounds like you are doing the right things, to me. And no, you can NOT feel hardened arteries.

Old 12-21-2006, 07:48 AM   #10
(male)

manlyman HB User

Quote:
Yes. Veins, arteries, vessels. Anything through which blood circulates.

Did you ask the doctor why he ordered all that? It sounds like he's the one you need to be talking to.

Seriously, I am not trying to put you off, but you have questions that need to be posed to your provider. See if you can talk to a nurse over there, or make an appointment to speak to the doc. It sounds like you are doing the right things, to me. And no, you can NOT feel hardened arteries.
I have high blood pressure... since I was 19. I've lost weight and its lower (I'm on medicine for it --- Angiotenson II and Calcium Channel Blocker). The doc just didn't understand how I could have high blood pressure at such a young age, and he's done every test known to man and can't figure it out. That's why he did it.

Also, I went for a second opinion, and the second doctor ordered the further testing.

Thanks,

Matt

Old 12-21-2006, 07:53 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Well, okay then.

Try to relax about this artery thing, or the worry will drive your BP up on its own.

Take care of yourself as you have been doing, and keep the lines of communication open with your healthcare providers.

Old 12-21-2006, 10:12 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

6foot3 HB User

''dustoffkid''... is correct on his advice and answers..You cannot feel hardening of your arteries..What your feeling is the tendons and ligaments and collagen that binds us together. The arteries are buried deep in the body and the peripheral areas as thats why when ever you cut/scrape your self you bleed from veins and not arteries. The blood would squirt out in accordinance with heart beat if an artery was ever severed (loss of finger/hand/feet in accident/war etc.)

Your 23 so chill about this. Most heart attacks occur in the 50 to 60 y/o age range in men..It takes years of junk diets and stress/no exercise etc to harden up with plaque. Stay off junk foods and take fish oils and antioxidants and you'll be fine...

Old 12-21-2006, 11:06 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6foot3
''dustoffkid''... is correct on his advice and answers
His?

Old 12-21-2006, 02:35 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(male)