It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2006, 08:37 PM   #1
(female)

xxkandikiddiexx HB User
Sick can anyone help?

Okay, I have sinus infection, and my mom wantes to give me some amoxicillin, but I'm allergic to penicillin and I don't know if their is any difference between the two of them. Do any of you know the difference?

I want to take something that will work because having this sinus infecion is driving me crazy, and I can't exactly see a doctor for it being I don't have one at this point in time and I dont have medical insurance, or money to pay and go to a clenic.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-22-2006, 05:06 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

dustoffkid HB Userdustoffkid HB User
Re: Sick can anyone help?

Your mom wants to give you amoxicillin? Is she a doctor?

Regardless of your allergy, you should NEVER take an antibiotic that is not prescribed for the condition you are treating. Not all antibiotics are created alike, either. What you take for one infection is not necessarily what you would take for another. Each antibiotic treats a different class of infections.

Given your allergy, that you already know that you are allergic to one of the
-cillins, I'd be very wary of taking it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-22-2006, 08:30 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Bracelet HB User

Sinus infections are not usually treated with the penicillins anymore (like amoxycillin), because there are stronger meds out there that work a lot better. In fact, doctors don't tend to prescribe it as much as they used to.

For the most part, they go with drugs like doxycycline or zithromax for sinus infections, because they tend to target the cause of the sinus infection a lot better.

That being said, since you're allergic to penicillin, you should not take ANY deriviative of it, including amoxycillin. Your mom is stupid for even suggesting it, since i'm sure she knows about your allergy to it.

Sinus infections really do require a doctor's care, so if there's any way your mom could pay for you to go to a walk-in clinic instead of trying to kill you with a penicillin-based antibiotic, that would be great. I mean, seriously... She's really stupid.

Old 12-22-2006, 06:26 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

_mystictiger_ HB User

Don't take Amoxicillin. It's from the Penicillin family and you will have a reaction to it.

I can understand why your Mum wants to give you meds, but as everyone else on here has said, you should never take medication that isn't prescribed to you. Each antibiotic works in a different way and Amoxicillin wont have any lasting effect on your sinus infection.

Hell it might not be a sinus infection You can never 100% be sure sweetheart so go to your Doctor and get yourself checked over. If you cant see your own Doctor, contact your local walk in centre, tell them your situation and ask for their help. There will be a Doctor out there somewhere who will treat you but the problem is finding them. I hope you feel better soon.

Old 12-22-2006, 06:45 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

The others are very obviously right here.you never ever should take anyone elses meds for any reason,even if you just happen to even take the same type of meds.number two,if you have an allergy to pennicillin you will most certainly react to amoxicillin.your mother could not be more wrong in what she wants to do to you.for one thing,you don't even know for sure if this is what you even have.this does need a docs Dx and the appropriate type of meds for your particular condition.i know not having insurance can really be a major factor here in decideding to actually go to see your doc,but sometimes you just have tyo do it as your life can depend on it,any infection needs antibiotic treatment or it will continue to become much worse and much harder to treat over time.try calling your docs office and ask them what it would cost for the visit and then to have the Rx written,then call your pharmacy to see what that cost would be,just to get an idea of what you will be dealing with,then call to one of those "minute clinics" that have popped up in some malls and grocrey stores to see what it would cost just for that same type of exam to be done and go with the cheaper of the two.

one BIG thing here is in alot of docs offices,they DO offer free samples to some patients for certain meds.the drug reps from all the different drug co's contiually see the docs and drop off drug samples for them to give to patients to try.i have saved a ton of money over the years when i have needed to try a certain med but didn't know how i would react.my doc would give me the free samples just to see if this med would actually be okay for me,BEFORE spending the money for an actual RX for it.

just some suggestions for you.if your doc is aware of your financial situation you can just simply ask him or her about any possibility of giving you some free samples so you wont have to even get an actual Rx from the pharmacy.most docs are more than happy to give the samples to people who are in financial difficulty.but you DO need this evaluated by someone who is not your mom and has an MD behind their name,ya know?your mom can most likely work out some sort of agreeable type of patment plan with the docs office.but you do have to see a doc soon.you do not want this to spread or get harder to treat.good luck and please keep us posted on how you are doing,K?FB

Closed Thread