It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2003, 09:37 AM   #1

serenityelf HB User
Post Warning Grapefruit

I read recently that grapefruit juice and the pulp can cause a reaction with E medicine and cause it to be less effective. I know a lot of people use grapefruit extract. I was told that it was taken from the seeds, but after reading up on the ingredients, it is also taken from the pulp. Food for thought. Since, reading that my husband stopped eating grapefruit -- you can't be too careful. His doctor says they are not sure why or how it interacts with meds, but studies have indicated that it can and does for some people.

Old 10-15-2003, 11:43 AM   #2

Daniela333 HB User
hi serenityelf!

I had heard about this a couple years ago from my mom - it actually interacted with her heart medicine causing her to have mini-strokes. It's amazing -and very scary- what a "natural" substance can do when interacting with meds.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-15-2003, 12:59 PM   #3

serenityelf HB User
Yes, it is scary. I also read the advice given by an herbalist who gave a whole list of herbs that people with E should not take, most of the stimulant variety but others that surprised me.

Old 10-15-2003, 06:17 PM   #4

timbercat HB User
serenity,

I would be very interested in that list of herbs if possible. My mom is big on 'natural' remedies and is always suggesting things for my daughter. My response is "I will have to ask her neuro about it".

Terri

Old 10-15-2003, 06:22 PM   #5
Inactive

Lyonguard HB User
I'm on Lamictal and the last time I saw my neuro I asked him that question. He told me that Lamictal wouldn't be effected by grapefruit juice. I'd love to see what you read so I could show it to him. The more I see doctors, the more I realize that they are still "praticing" medicine. Maybe one day they'll get it right!

Jan

Old 10-15-2003, 09:18 PM   #6

MandiX HB User
i havent eaten grapefruit(or drank the juice) since I was diagnosed w E five years ago. thats one of the first things my neuro told me no to eat anymore.

------------------
Mandi
"there's no such thing as normal, just a lot of weird people with things in common."

Old 10-15-2003, 10:29 PM   #7
Veteran

momof3mjt HB User
I just picked up my daughters new prescription. (tegretol) and this is the first time there has actually been a warning label on there that says do not take or eat grapefruit. I had never known that before.

I did know that you shouldn't swallow your meds with any kind of citrus juice, like orange juice. Not sure why, but that is what I was told. Must have something to do with the acid in it.

lindy

Old 10-16-2003, 12:24 PM   #8

serenityelf HB User
I think the studies are just reaching the doctors and the drug makers because their never were any warnings on Tegretol about grapefruit until recently. The article I read said they're not even sure why it does it, but it does. I have the list of other herbs at home, I'll post it later tonight.

[This message has been edited by serenityelf (edited 10-16-2003).]

Old 10-16-2003, 01:16 PM   #9

johnspaziano HB User
wow, i had never heard of that, that is pretty scary.. I love greapfruit.. i used to love grapefruit.. but for some reason, I innadvertantly stoped eating it... i dont remember the last time i had a grapefruit. are there any other foods that cause such interactions with drugs?

Old 10-16-2003, 02:27 PM   #10

serenityelf HB User
Answer: I made a new string with the list of herbs. Hope it helps.
Quote:
Originally posted by timbercat:
serenity,

I would be very interested in that list of herbs if possible.

Terri

Closed Thread