It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2007, 02:57 PM   #1
(female)

Janster HB User
Hip Pain - Search isn't working!

Tried to use the Advanced Search and it isn't working. Please pardon - if this is a repost. If there are threads already in existance - shoot me the links!
Thanks!

My hips have been aching when I'm sleeping. Mostly due to sleeping on my side and having my legs apart. It doesn't ache when my legs are together and feels even better if I keep them together and bend my knees up to my waist. Laying flat - it's fine. Still stiff in the mornings.... and today, stiff after work. This ache has been around for a while - perhaps several months. I honestly didn't pay much attention to it - figured it would go away within a few days. I've never had any problems like this ever.

I'm only 39, female, have an active job (on my feet walking all day and/or up/down stairs or platforms). I'm average as average can be 5'6" and 140lbs. No health issues....low blood pressure, low sugar, bla bla bla

I can't blame my 'bed' either. I sleep on a full wave waterbed - assuming it will never change in firmness (or lack there-of) because its constant. Sleeping on a standard bed would probably ache my hips even more.

So....I'm hoping this is just a temporary *winter time* sympton. I was thinking of taking some ibuprofent this evening to see if the aches go away.

Thoughts?

Old 01-19-2007, 01:31 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

wonderingtoo HB User
Re: Hip Pain - Search isn't working!

I'm 35, about your height and weight, and am also having hip pain, with unknown reason. Maybe we're just getting old!!!
Mine hurt if I cross my legs (the leg I cross over will hurt), or if I walk on my treadmill. Maybe it's the start of arthritis. I just don't know, maybe it is just a part of getting older.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-20-2007, 02:56 PM   #3
(female)

Janster HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderingtoo View Post
I'm 35, about your height and weight, and am also having hip pain, with unknown reason. Maybe we're just getting old!!!
Mine hurt if I cross my legs (the leg I cross over will hurt), or if I walk on my treadmill. Maybe it's the start of arthritis. I just don't know, maybe it is just a part of getting older.
**** I hope not!!

I'm trying something and hoping it works - although....not sure why or if.

I've been taking Allegra-D for many many years. I take it in the evenings to prevent snoring. The other day when my hip was feeling 'at its worst' - I decided to stop taking the pill that evening. It's been two nights in a row that I stopped taking it. Although, I still feel residual soreness....the feelings I was getting while in bed have subsided.

Who knows...I'll give it a few more days, then start taking it again and see what happens. Perhaps - it's a figment of my old and eldery imagination.

I have doctor appointment in March - so I guess this will be *experimentation* for me up until then.

Old 02-19-2007, 08:28 AM   #4
(female)

Janster HB User

Update....still not taking Allegra-D at all. Haven't really needed it in this kinda weather (cold).

I don't have any pain during sleeping but the hip pain has come back to an extent.

My hips could be 'annoyed' from work - as I have a very physical job that I'm on my feet (steal toed shoes & concrete floors) walking and stepping up & down platforms, up & down stairs, consistantly all day.

I'll try to take some ibuprofen to see if that helps...seems some days the pain isn't as bad as others.

I don't know of any arthritis or other bone/hip related issues in my family.

Can an excessive amount of calcium in the system cause a problem? Long story short...but my last physical said I'm LOW on calcium and need to consume more. The night before I had *more pain* - I had the biggest milk shake you'd ever imagine (it was YUMMY!). Not sure if that's a relation or not - just trying to think of any avenues possible.

Old 02-19-2007, 11:24 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

I didn't see your original post.
Is the pain only at night, while you're lying in bed? It's most likely bursitis, and you might be able to eliminate it by taking naproxen sodium (Aleve) round the clock (one in the a.m. and one 12 hours later) for a couple of weeks. It worked for me.

Here's a URL to a thread I participated in a while ago on this subject ~
[url] http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=427595&highlight= [/url]

Last edited by midwest1; 02-19-2007 at 11:26 AM.

Old 04-17-2007, 03:21 AM   #6
(female)

Janster HB User

Thanks Gang!
It's been a while....

Doesn't hurt while in bed anymore ...stiffened up our water bed and that helped somewhat (although only temporary). Just had a doctor appt. and they're suggesting possibly osteoarthritis... exercise and gonna try and get some Glucosamin & Chondroitin sulfate and see if that helps?

Old 04-17-2007, 04:23 AM   #7
(female)

peace1910 HB User

when my hips hurt in bed, i put a pillow between my legs while sleeping on my side...i keep knees slighly bent and that takes the pressure off my hips and back;;....justmy two cents worth.....sleeep well...............peace

Closed Thread