It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2007, 08:14 PM   #1
(female)

hongyan HB User
Question Pinching soreness in inner thigh, deep vein thrombosis?

I've been through a bit of trauma recently, my father just died a few days ago, so I probably am a little too conscious of death right now. My problem is that the night after my father died, I began experiencing bad soreness in my inner thigh which later spread to the back of my calf. It hurt to the point where I limped for a day and a half. Yesterday, the pain was virtually gone, but today, the pain has returned (only in my inner thigh though, I believe I accidentally hit that area causing it to hurt again). Now the pain comes and goes but...I guess I haven't had the pain long enough to know what's going on. I have also developed a slight cough, but this could be from anything.

The reason I am paranoid is because I'm terrified of it being deep vein thrombosis . I have been panicking to no end over this because I cannot afford a doctor to check with.

I am only 20 years old, I've never had surgery, I've never taken birth control pills, I'm not overweight. I have, however, been sitting for a long period, though not excessively long. Please tell me I am overreacting.

I'm really scared.

Old 01-22-2007, 10:39 PM   #2
(female)

AuntNanc HB UserAuntNanc HB UserAuntNanc HB UserAuntNanc HB User
Re: Pinching soreness in inner thigh, deep vein thrombosis?

My sympathies for your loss, hongyan. What a stressful time for you. Please try to relax about this. Given your age and otherwise good health, I think you are probably overreacting a little. While I would never say definitely not, I've had DVT's before and this does not sound like one to me. It's odd that the pain comes and goes.

Let me ask you a few questions. Is the pain better today, worse, or the same as when you first posted? Do you ever have the inside thigh pain and the calf pain at the same time? Do you have any redness, hotness or swelling at the site of the pain in your calf? Does it hurt when you apply pressure to the site? How is the pain when you first stand on it in the morning, or after sitting for a long period? Now, sit down, stretch your leg out in front of you and stretch the back of your calf as you aim your toes up toward your knee. What is your pain like when you do that?

Will be watching for your response. And in the meantime, try not to worry. Stay off your feet as much as you can, lying down... not just sitting. Whatever's causing you pain needs rest. Try a little moist heat every few hours to the painful areas. And, if the pain worsens or moves in the meantime, don't ignore your instincts. Go to the doctor or the ER.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-23-2007, 03:56 AM   #3
(female)

hongyan HB User

Hello. Thank you so much for your response because this has been worrying me.

Today, the pain is essentially gone. I'm not sure if there was ever warmth, but the pain was most intense during the first day I began to feel it. Today is like the day before yesterday because I can't feel the pain, though this is morning and I have just woke up. When I felt the pain, it would become more irritating while sitting for a longer period than standing. Yes, it was painful to apply pressure to the site. While the leg seemed the same size as the other leg and I can't really say if there was actual swelling, the leg felt heavy as if there was pressure. Before, it hurt to touch the thigh around that area. Now, it's not as tender.

Today, when I stretched my leg as you asked, nothing happened. I hadn't felt any pain. With DVTs, is the pain consistent?

I sure hope you're right about overreacting. With my family trying to prepare to bury my father, I can't afford a doctor either in time or money as I have no health plan or family doctor. I asked my mother about this and was yelled at for an hour at the mere implication of it being something serious, but in that the pain isn't consistent and seems to be healing, maybe it's not all that serious.

Edit: It's afternoon now. I noticed that when I walked, there would be no pain, but when I sat down for longer than 10 minutes, the pain would come back subtly. Someone is helping me to go to a medical clinic tomorrow about it.

Last edited by hongyan; 01-23-2007 at 12:34 PM.

Old 01-23-2007, 10:20 PM   #4
(female)

Sorry I couldn't get back to you sooner... had to work all day. Normally with a DVT, you would have more consistent pain. Typically, stretching your calf as I asked you to do, also stretches the vein and surrounding tissues. If there is a clot there, you should experience pain when you do this. Also typically, putting first weight on a leg with a DVT, after some time sitting or reclining, causes considerable pain down into the bottom of your foot.

That said, not everyone presents with typical symptoms. I have had DVT's several times and never had redness or visible inflammation. It is possible to have a clot elsewhere in your leg, other than your calf, that would still cause some type of pain. There is also phlebitis, which is inflammation surrounding a vein, without the actual clot. Still painful... not quite so serious. Unfortunately, there's just no way to diagnose with certainty this way. Something is definitely causing you pain and, even if it's not a DVT, you need to find out what it is.

I'm glad you found a way to get to the doctor. If he suspects you do have a clot, he will likely send you for a test called a doppler ultrasound. Done in the radiology dept, it uses reflected sound waves to evaluate the blood vessels. Quick and easy. Like getting a sonogram. I know this is a very busy time for you right now. But you really need to keep that leg up as much as possible until you know what you're dealing with. Don't forget the moist heat (hot moist towel). And let me know what you found. Will say a prayer for you that these next days pass as quickly and easily as possibly for you. Again, my sympathies.

Old 01-24-2007, 01:26 PM   #5
(female)

hongyan HB User

I only felt pain throughout the leg when I walked or sat or slept during the first two days.

Although there is no longer much pain if any when I walk, I notice that the longer I sit, the more intense the pain becomes. Now that I look at it, the calf does seem a bit swollen even though it's mainlyt the thigh that hurts. It bugs me so much that I don't know what it is. What does this sound like?
I've still been going nuts over it. This doesn't sound like a DVT, right?
How long had you had your DVT before it was treated?

I am scheduled for an appointment at a health clinic on Friday. Do you know if clinics are able to diagnose these kinds of things? I'm so scared that they might not have the proper equipment to tell me what's wrong. I'm sorry if the question seems silly,but I have never been to one so I'm not familiar with things there. Someone else scheduled it for me.

Last edited by hongyan; 01-24-2007 at 04:49 PM.

Old 01-24-2007, 05:31 PM   #6
(female)

The only thing silly is not asking questions when you have them. No, it doesn't really sound like a DVT to me. I'm not a doctor. But, I really don't think that's what you have. When I was in college I had trouble with Sciatic pain that would start at the top of my right tush and hurt all the way down the back of my right leg. Double classes were torture. As soon as I was up and walking, the pain would go away. And once I was out of school, I rarely had trouble with it again. If you've been sitting a lot lately and are not used to doing so, could be something similar is going on with you.

Yes, you can get the same diagnosis at a clinic. If it's a free clinic, doctor's and staff may rotate in and out, or may volunteer so much time there. It all depends. But you should get the same treatment. You may be seen by a doctor, or you may be seen first by a physician's assistant, or a nurse practitioner. But PA's and NP's should confer with the on-staff doctor before making a diagnosis. And they will order any needed tests to make an accurate diagnosis. Describe your progression of symptoms from day one to present. Tell them what you thought you might have. I always find it helpful to make a list of my symptoms and all of my questions ahead of time so I don't forget them if I'm feeling nervous or rushed. Remember, you always have the right to ask questions and to be comfortable with your diagnosis. In the meantime, take your cues from your symptoms. If it hurts to sit too much, then don't sit too much. If you feel better walking, then walk. Hang in there and try to relax.

Old 01-24-2007, 05:43 PM   #7
(female)

hongyan HB User

Alright. Thank you so much AuntNanc! What you've said has helped ease some of that stress a bit. I'll make a list of symptoms for them and I'll be sure and post back here when I go to the appointment on Friday!

Saturday I'm in for a long road trip so I'm happy I'll be able to see someone before I'm cooped up in a car for many hours.

Old 01-25-2007, 10:39 AM   #8
(female)

I'm glad if I could help, Hongyan. Will be watching to see how you made out at the clinic. Have a safe trip on Saturday and may I suggest that, if possible, you make a rest stop every hour or so to walk around and stretch your legs.

Old 02-15-2007, 06:37 AM   #9
(female)

hongyan HB User

I never got to go to a doctor, but the symptoms generally went away. That means that I likely didn't have something serious wrong, right?

Closed Thread