It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2007, 09:18 AM   #1
(female)

zoehesed HB User
Question Pain just Under Rib Cage and Nuasea

I am at my wits end with what is ailing me. Over 6 months ago I went to the doctor for pain I was having jsut below my rib cage in the middle where the V shape is. It felt like pressure and I didnt like things touching me there...it felt uncomfortable. I have to sleep with a pillow against my stomach and chest to feel comfortable on my side as it supports me somewhat. The doctor took X-rays, a CT scan, and a ultra-sound. They told me they couldnt find anything wrong with me and it was all in my head...or so they inferred. They game me hydrocodine as I told them it was hard for me to sleep and also ranitadine (sp?) in case it was an ulcer.

Fast forward to the present.

For awhile I felt better and the pain meds really helped but I no longer take them. I have had several bouts of nausea where I feel clamy and just not right in the middle of the night. I get up and take some pepto-bismol and it helps. Ive thrown-up a couple of times...usually it is just stomach acid and once I just burped really loud.

Im not pregnant...but the nausea comes and goes. Sometimes I don't even want to eat and I feel I have lost some weight over the time I havent been feeling well due to not eating enough bc I dont feel well.

Recently the pain below my rib cage has come back and I would really like some kind of idea of what could be wrong with me. I cant afford a million tests again just to hear "we cant find anything wrong with you!" and get sent on my way again. My insurrance is not that good and I barely make enough to cover my normal bills. The pain seems to be all across the bottom of my rib cage as of last night. It's not sharpe but more like a dull pain that is tiring. I feel like Ive been holding my stomach in forever and my muscles are just really tired. The middle area below my rib cage is especially sensitive as well. No matter what position I am in, I feel discomfort..sitting,standing,laying down...there is no escape for me.

My husband just thinks its an ulcer but Ive been taking pepto-bismol for 3 weeks twice a day now and the nuasea seems better but the pain is not. He wants me to take some other ulcer medication but I just dont know what to do.

Please help! If you can give me any idea what this is I would greatly appreciate any advice/help you can give me. Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-26-2007, 11:54 PM   #2
(female)

doone56 HB User
Re: Pain just Under Rib Cage and Nuasea

Do you think it might be a HIATAL HERNIA you might want to check that out.

READ THIS:

Hiatal hernia is a condition in which a portion of the stomach protrudes upward into the chest, through an opening in the diaphragm. The diaphragm is the sheet of muscle that separates the chest from the abdomen. It is used in breathing.

Causes, incidence, and risk factors:
The cause is unknown, but hiatal hernias may be the result of a weakening of the supporting tissue. Increasing age, obesity, and smoking are known risk factors in adults.

Hiatal hernias are very common, especially in people over 50 years old. This condition may cause reflux (backflow) of gastric acid from the stomach into the esophagus.

Symptoms:
Heartburn, worse when bending over or lying down
Swallowing difficulty
Chest pain
Belching
A hiatal hernia by itself rarely causes symptoms -- pain and discomfort are usually due to the reflux of gastric acid, air, or bile. Reflux happens more easily in the presence of hiatal hernia, though a hiatal hernia is not the only cause of reflux..

Old 01-27-2007, 07:29 AM   #3
(female)

zoehesed HB User

Well im not going to say that is ISNT that...cuz I have no idea what it is. I do know that I am very uncomfortable due to the lower area under my ribs being very sensitive.

I don't think that is it though....I am only 25 and have never smoked or drank at all. I have no reason to have that problem...or any problem really...but I do... I am hoping to get a dr. apt this week but I want a general idea of some things to point them in the right direction as the last time I went I got no where and they told me nothing was wrong with me when clearly, something IS not right.

Old 01-28-2007, 02:49 PM   #4
(female)

kylie541 HB User

Do you take many pain killers?

I always get rib pain and nausea when I have pain meds

Old 01-28-2007, 03:53 PM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

It could be a low functioning gallbladder. Has anyone mentioned a HIDA Scan?

Old 02-10-2007, 01:47 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

marymk HB User

Hi,
Just happened upon this thread, and wonder if I have a hiatal hernia. I have pain under my left rib area - it's only when I bend over. I only have occasional heartburn, but if I'm bending over it very bad. I also have a hiccupy type belching at times.
Anyway I had a gallbladder ultrasound in December for similar symptoms, although at the time the pain was more on the right side - the current pain started a week after I had my ultra sound.
Would an ultrasoud pick up the hiatal hernia ? It seemed like she was looking pretty close the that area at time. My results for gall bladder were negative. I was convinced I had gall stone, since I've had attacks on and off the past two years. Maybe it's been a hernia all along. What type of test would I need to confirm?

Thanks,
Mary

Old 02-15-2007, 10:52 AM   #7
(female)

chickie99 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoehesed View Post
Well im not going to say that is ISNT that...cuz I have no idea what it is. I do know that I am very uncomfortable due to the lower area under my ribs being very sensitive.

I don't think that is it though....I am only 25 and have never smoked or drank at all. I have no reason to have that problem...or any problem really...but I do... I am hoping to get a dr. apt this week but I want a general idea of some things to point them in the right direction as the last time I went I got no where and they told me nothing was wrong with me when clearly, something IS not right.
hernia is most common in women and there is no age (its a weakness you're born with) it can get aggravated from many factors including constapation and even poor posture - which is something us girls are known for these days, especially around the time of PMS.

I am getting similar pain, burning sensation and GERD. I'm having an endoscopy done tomorrow to find out what is going on. I suspect it might be a hernia.

Closed Thread