It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2007, 08:32 AM   #1
Inactive

lindamh HB User
Why am I always thirsty?

I drink a lot of water all day and even during the night. Is there some deficiency that could cause this?

I do not have diabetes or any other serious health problem.

I don't eat very much salt, but I read thirst is caused by a concentration of salt that triggers you to drink more water.

Old 02-02-2007, 09:28 AM   #2
(female)

Moontayl HB User
Re: Why am I always thirsty?

Eveybody's bodies are different and just because you think you don't consume a whole lot of salt doesn't mean your body doesn't react to the littlest amounts of sodium in your diet. You say you drink a lot of water through-out the day so I would probably see a physician if this is something that's been on-going for some time and disrupts your sleep. Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-02-2007, 10:20 AM   #3
(female)

*DottieGirl* HB User

You should probably slow down on the water before going to bed. Rather, drink most of the water you want during the day and early evening. Your body shouldn't be loaded down with water right before you go to sleep.

Old 02-02-2007, 11:22 AM   #4
(female)

storm12 HB User

Actually, you should maybe see a doctor - they can test to make sure you aren't salt-decifient. The more water you drink, the more sodium you wash out of your body. Also you will start to really retain water, too. I was told that because of drinking too much water, which led to low sodium in my system, which made me more thirsty, also caused temporary Diabetes Insipidus. My electrolytes were incredibly out of whack. The first thing after my tests came back, but doctor told me to get some gatorade, thin it out with a little water, and start introducing a balance of water and sugar into my system to stabelize the electrolytes. If you drink too much water and don't get enough sodium, you could crave water to the point of stroke, brain damage, or even death. I have had to keep my water intake under a certain point ever since.

Old 02-02-2007, 02:12 PM   #5
(female)

purplepiegirl HB User

I just tested with low potassium and that is one of my symptoms. I am always thirsty.

Old 02-02-2007, 03:15 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

DebM412 HB User

How much water were you drinking? I drink a lot of water, probably 10-12 glasses per day. Should I be adding more salt to my diet?

Old 02-02-2007, 04:22 PM   #7
(female)

treelvr HB User

Hello, I too dink alot of water throuout the day. Sometimes I may even drink about 10-12 cups a day plus coffee and tea! Do you drink any caffeine? Maybe it is that.
I think I just got used to doing it. Don't know.

I hope you find the answer? And good luck to you

Last edited by treelvr; 05-16-2007 at 08:44 AM.

Old 02-02-2007, 10:01 PM   #8
(male)

Kandahar HB User

Hello.

I have an identical problem.

Atleast I used to until I moved away from home.

I went o get checked out for diabtetes also about 9 months ago before moving out of my parents house.

Anyway, I would drink around about 4-5 litres of water a day. It was only water I would drink.

Since I moved out I havent drank nearlky half as much as that.

I think I drink a stable amount now, but I am still always thirsty I just dont drink. The main reason I was drinking so much at home was because I loved the water. I was filtered and cold. This may sound weird but that was it.

Since I moved into University halls, I dont have a filtr and the water, since Its in a different geographical location is just different.

I dont like it and I dont drink it, I drink a lot more coffee (now thats another problem I have... wayyyy to much caffein.)

But anyway, I stopped worrying after I got the all clear for no diabetes. Have you tried just not drinking? Thats what I would do. I do however drink a lot if the water is available to me.

For instance I was in a 'interview' type situation the other day. It was actually a trial, well a fake one. (I do law) and I drank the two litre jug of water that was in front of me in about 20minutes and drank more when I left.

*shrugs*

Old 02-05-2007, 09:54 PM   #9
(female)

MsDubb HB User

I have a continuous thirst, but it's because I am missing the hormone vasopressin. The condition is called diabetes insipidus. I had a pituitary tumor and this is why I am missing that hormone. You can also get this sometimes from a hard lick on the head.
To give you an idea of how bad this is, I drink around 2.5 gallons a day and of course you stay in the bathroom all the time.
This can be controlled by taking the hormone replacement DDAVP.
I'm not saying this is what you have, but just talk to your doctor.

Closed Thread