It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2007, 05:24 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Hamilton92 HB UserHamilton92 HB User
Please need advice asap! My husband is very sick.

My husband has been sick for about 4 days now.
We thought it was just allergies but now we are not sure. He is coughing constantly and it only subsides when he's asleep. Right now he is napping and he hasn't coughed once since he's been asleep.
But he's been coughing and blowing his nose constantly for the past 4 days.
Now his back hurts every time he coughs he says, mostly his middle and upper back. And he is coughing up what he says looks like a greenish yellowish phlegm.
I bought him some Alavert thinking it was allergies and he took one yesterday and then he cough stopped and he couldn't cough up anything but he said he could feel something in his lungs.
We can't afford to go to the doctor, no medical insurance
I don't know if this is just allergies or upper respiratory infection, can someone help. Can I buy anything for him over the counter that will help him?
I am very worried for my husband!
He isn't running fever or anything else just the cough and the runny nose, constantly nose blowing.
Thank you so much!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-16-2007, 05:29 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

microwave HB Usermicrowave HB User
Re: Please need advice asap! My husband is very sick.

My ENT has always told me to go by the color of your mucus:
Clear = allergies
Yellow = cold
Green = infection

Sounds like he has a sinus infection. Also, to help clear his lungs, he could sit in a hot steamy bathroom. Then you cup your hand and pat/pound him on the back (over both lungs) for about 10 minutes. It helps get the stuff moving so he can cough it up.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-16-2007, 05:37 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Hamilton92 HB UserHamilton92 HB User

Would a hot air humidifier make things better or worse. I thougth about plugging it in and making him sit near it to let the steam open him up and maybe putting some vicks on his chest and in the humidifier.
What do you think?

Old 02-16-2007, 07:20 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB User

Sounds like bronchitis, which is what I had 2 weeks ago. I still have the cough but today is the first day i feel quasi normal again. I had to get antibiotics from the doctor because I couldn't take it anymore.

The problem is, if it is bronchitis and it's not treated, it could turn into pneumonia. You really should take him to a doctor. Don't you have any walk-in clinics where you live that you could just pay cash? Most antibiotics are generic nowadays anyway so it wouldn't be that expensive for the meds.

I've been drinking a lot of tea with honey. And vicks vaporub didn't really help me too much. I didnt' have much relief with anything until I got the antibiotics from the doctor. He really should go see a doc.

Last edited by Kszan; 02-16-2007 at 07:22 PM. Reason: Finger slipped!

Old 02-16-2007, 07:28 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

kdel HB Userkdel HB User

I also have this. It just seems that I produce more mucus than I can get rid of.(both nasal and chest) I went on like this for 3 weeks then finally went the doctor and I have bronchitis and a nasty sinus infection. Really try to get to a doctor and then ask for sample meds from his office. (they usually have them and do give them out especially if you tell them you don't have ins.) I waited too long as it is day 4 of antibiotic and I'm still feeling lousy but better than before.

Old 02-16-2007, 07:36 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB User

I have the same problem with mucus! I had a sinus infection too, on top of the bronchitis! These last 2 weeks I've been producing more mucus than I have in the last 2 years! (Sorry, TMI). I just don't understand where all of this is coming from!

Anyway, I've been told that Mucinex (available at drug stores) is supposed to be pretty good for these types of infections. I think it just has to be used more consistantly.

Oh and just like your husband, Hamilton, I also have had no fever this entire time. But I've still been feeling like crap anyway. Being so filled with mucus can make a person really miserable. I don't think the hot humidifier would be bad, I think it might help. And what the heck, try the vaporub and see what happens? Who knows?

Old 02-17-2007, 08:26 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sannah HB UserSannah HB User

Hamilton, remember that Walmart sells generic antibiotics for $4 (hopefully, they do this at your local Walmart). You just need the prescription. There is no way around this if he has green mucous. He needs an antibiotic.

Last edited by Sannah; 02-17-2007 at 08:27 AM.

Old 02-17-2007, 05:14 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

velvet48 HB User

if you don't have insurance, i would go to the ER or local health clinic anyway. i know here, but think almost all states should have this, free health care for those who do not have and can not afford insurance.

you only need fill out the paperwork. but i would go to a doctor so this does't turn into something more serious.

good luck

Closed Thread