It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2007, 12:29 AM   #1
(female)

define_truth HB User
Sick every morning for 9 years... what is going on??

This is my first time posting on the General Health forums but I thought that I would give it a shot to try and get some suggestions or see if anyone else has ever experienced anything similar to this.

For the past 9 years, I have been sick every single morning. By sick, I mean that I wake with nausea and often vomit. For the past 9 years, I've been trying to find out what the problem is and what's going on, but to no avail. It's not even as simple as waking up sick every single morning, either. It gets more complicated than that, of course.

If I wake up at 6am, I will definitely be sick. If I wake up at 11am, there's a chance that I'll be perfectly fine. It seems that it only affects me if I wake up early. It has nothing to do with the amount of sleep that I'm getting because I could get 2 hours or 12, it doesn't make a difference.

Throughout my quest to find out why I've been blessed with the morning sickness from hell, many things have been ruled out. I was tested for H. Pylori, and the test came back inconclusive so I was treated for it and that did nothing. I have had blood tests done and everything has come back within a normal range. I had a sleep study done and that was completely normal. I had a G.I. consult and he determined that it has nothing to do with my stomach. I've had countless MRI's, CT scans, xrays, etc. (some to look directly for a solution to this and others due to other medical conditions). I should also mention that I have an Arnold Chiari Malformation Type I, spina bifida and scoliosis.

I'm currently managing this on the only medication that I've ever tried that's worked - Ondansetron. While it's wonderful to finally have a medication that makes me feel better and makes it possible for me to get up in the morning, Ondansetron isn't intended for long-term use and therefore I'd still like to figure out what the problem is and hopefully solve it.

If anyone has any suggestions, please throw them out there. Nothing is too obscure or crazy or out there, I'm seriously at the end of the line here. I'm stumped and so is every doctor that I've ever seen about this. I'm almost 20 years old and this has been affecting my life negatively for way too long. It kept me in high school 2 years longer than I should have been there and now I'm afraid that it will affect my post-secondary schooling as well. I don't even want to think about what happens when I get a full-time job and start my career. I'm planning on moving to the United States after I finish school to live with my boyfriend, and as soon as I do this I lose my drug coverage. Ondansetron is way too expensive for me to afford (like $600 for 1 1/2 months supply) and therefore it won't be an option for too much longer.

Sorry that this is so long... I'm seriously desperate here. I'm willing to explore any avenue that I haven't tried and perhaps even revisit some that I should be looking at more closely. Any advice/suggestions/feedback are much appreciated!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-18-2007, 04:05 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User
Re: Sick every morning for 9 years... what is going on??

Do you have allergies or a lot of sinus drainage? If so, that can cause nausea.

Your stomach may not show any cause but it still could be an acid stomach problem. Have you tried taking Mylanta Liquid at bedtime, it coats the stomach and protects from acid during the night.

You may wish to weigh the advantages and disadvantages of living with your boyfriend and losing health coverage for what works. Those with Spina Bifida have special needs and really should have a health plan to help.

Old 02-18-2007, 07:06 PM   #3
(female)

define_truth HB User

Allergies and sinus problems have both been ruled out. It would have been nice if that had been the answer.

While they weren't able to find anything wrong with my stomach, I was still put on 2 or 3 different medications to help control the acid levels and they didn't do anything.

As far as going to live with my boyfriend and losing health coverage, I only meant for the medication. I'll be moving there after we get married and he has an excellent health plan through work that I'll be covered under. The Ondansetron isn't even covered under my regular plan here, I had to go through the government to get special coverage. Either way, I'm not supposed to be on this medication forever. It was just something to help out while I continue to look for a cause and solution.

The one thing that seems to keep coming back up when looking for a cause is my Chiari Malformation and I was wondering if anyone had any information/experience with this. The only symptom that I have is the nausea in the morning, so it's a tough call. The MRI's show that it's not very bad. My neurosurgeon is willing to do the operation, I'm just trying to explore all other options first before I sign myself up for more major surgery.

Old 02-18-2007, 08:21 PM   #4
(female)

crystalfey HB User
Arrow Re: Sick every morning for 9 years... what is going on??

hi define truth,

i get sick sometimes when i wake up early, and because im at uni i dont wake up early all the time, and sleep in on weekends.i suffer from anxiety and tend to get very anxious in the morning esp. when i have to get up early i worry i wont get there on time. also, the sickness is worse when i get up straight away, as oposed to lying in a bit when i get up later. have a look at the anxiety forums symptoms, nausea and vomiting is part of the flight/fight response - a way to help it is to stay in bed for bit and close your eyes do some breathing - in for 3 secs out for 3 secs. another thing could be that your digestive system in the morning is really sluggish because your sopposed to be asleep at that time. i heard that for morning sickness people just have something like tea and a biscuit cas they need some food in their stomach, maybee look up morning sickness on the net for ideas.
and the final thing is dont eat 2 hrs before bed and sleep on 2-3pillows and try some peppermint tea in the morning.

hope this was useful , i sounds like your having a really rough time - 9 yrs is a long time to be sick everyday, i know its hard but try not to stress about it, just keep trying everything that u can.

Last edited by crystalfey; 02-18-2007 at 08:38 PM.

Old 02-20-2007, 01:31 PM   #5
(female)

define_truth HB User

Anxiety is something that I haven't looked into very much at all, but after reading your response I think I'm going to. I've thought for years that I have moderate anxiety and fairly severe social anxiety. I know that if I have to get up early to be somewhere other than class (like a social engagement), I'm more likely to be sick than usual.

As far as eating, that's pretty much out of the question. When I wake up, I feel fine as long as I'm laying down flat on my back. As soon as I sit up, I'm too sick to eat or drink anything until at least lunchtime.

Maybe I'll take a look on the anxiety boards and perhaps post something. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Old 02-22-2007, 07:03 PM   #6
(female)

Leesa1 HB User

If you have Chiari Malformation 1, it could be due to a malfunction in the brain stem? The brain stem holds all those control mechanisms, for breathing, heart rate, coughing, vomiting..etc, it seems more to be a neuro thing then anxiety, I'd say anxiety if there was no known reason for it, but I think Chiari Malformation 1 has alot to do with it, ask a neurosurgeon, neurologist and see what they say. I hope all goes well.

Last edited by Leesa1; 02-22-2007 at 07:04 PM.

Old 02-23-2007, 10:42 AM   #7
(female)

define_truth HB User

I've already talked to my neurosurgeon about the possibly of it being due to the Chiari Malformation. He's willing to do the surgery if I want him to, but I'm so hesitant. The malformation is not very severe at all, so I'd be worried that I would go through a major surgery for no reason at all.

Old 02-23-2007, 01:13 PM   #8
(female)

Jade001 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by define_truth View Post
This is my first time posting on the General Health forums but I thought that I would give it a shot to try and get some suggestions or see if anyone else has ever experienced anything similar to this.

For the past 9 years, I have been sick every single morning. By sick, I mean that I wake with nausea and often vomit. For the past 9 years, I've been trying to find out what the problem is and what's going on, but to no avail. It's not even as simple as waking up sick every single morning, either. It gets more complicated than that, of course.

If I wake up at 6am, I will definitely be sick. If I wake up at 11am, there's a chance that I'll be perfectly fine. It seems that it only affects me if I wake up early. It has nothing to do with the amount of sleep that I'm getting because I could get 2 hours or 12, it doesn't make a difference.

Throughout my quest to find out why I've been blessed with the morning sickness from hell, many things have been ruled out. I was tested for H. Pylori, and the test came back inconclusive so I was treated for it and that did nothing. I have had blood tests done and everything has come back within a normal range. I had a sleep study done and that was completely normal. I had a G.I. consult and he determined that it has nothing to do with my stomach. I've had countless MRI's, CT scans, xrays, etc. (some to look directly for a solution to this and others due to other medical conditions). I should also mention that I have an Arnold Chiari Malformation Type I, spina bifida and scoliosis.

I'm currently managing this on the only medication that I've ever tried that's worked - Ondansetron. While it's wonderful to finally have a medication that makes me feel better and makes it possible for me to get up in the morning, Ondansetron isn't intended for long-term use and therefore I'd still like to figure out what the problem is and hopefully solve it.

If anyone has any suggestions, please throw them out there. Nothing is too obscure or crazy or out there, I'm seriously at the end of the line here. I'm stumped and so is every doctor that I've ever seen about this. I'm almost 20 years old and this has been affecting my life negatively for way too long. It kept me in high school 2 years longer than I should have been there and now I'm afraid that it will affect my post-secondary schooling as well. I don't even want to think about what happens when I get a full-time job and start my career. I'm planning on moving to the United States after I finish school to live with my boyfriend, and as soon as I do this I lose my drug coverage. Ondansetron is way too expensive for me to afford (like $600 for 1 1/2 months supply) and therefore it won't be an option for too much longer.

Sorry that this is so long... I'm seriously desperate here. I'm willing to explore any avenue that I haven't tried and perhaps even revisit some that I should be looking at more closely. Any advice/suggestions/feedback are much appreciated!
I know you have had certain testing done, but have you had a regular ole' cbc done? If so, anything there?

Old 02-23-2007, 08:00 PM   #9
(female)

define_truth HB User

Yeah I've had many CBC's done over the past 9 years, the past 3 in particular. Plus a whole other array of blood tests. I've been in and out of the hospital and have to monitored closely for other medical reasons and so blood work is done fairly often. Everything with it always comes back normal though.

Old 02-27-2007, 06:44 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Trixibel HB User

apparently zinc deficiency can cause morning nausea. might be worth checking out. if you want to do a search on the internet try typing in: zinc deficiency, pyroluria

Old 03-04-2007, 07:03 PM   #11
(female)

rockie24 HB User

Here's something to think about! Before you go to bed do you brush your teeth with toothpaste? Try using only plain water and save the tooth paste for in the morning. It happened to me all the time, same as you, only when I got up early. I finally made the conection when I ran out of toothpaste. when questioned by a dental hygentist, before I had a cleaning. I opted for the truth and told her on nights when I use toothpaste, I would wake up the next morning with nausea and would gage so bad stomach acid would come up. It did not even matter if the first thing I did when I got up was brush my teeth, I would still gage and through up!
Try it! As my dental hygentist says you will automatically brush longer, so it's not bad for you because it the actual brushing that gets the food particles out, not the toothpaste. I will say a prayer for you that it turns out to be that simple. If it works, just remember to tell your boyfriend, no morning kisses til you can brush.

Old 03-05-2007, 02:04 AM   #12
Inactive
(female)

Jaysea HB User

This sounds so familiar. I had the same problem for years. If I got up early I had the nausea. If I slept in, no problem. Never figured out why, but I did cure it by switching to the night shift. I was going to bed at 8 a.m. instead of waking up then .I stay on the same sleep cycle on my days off too.

Old 03-05-2007, 06:02 PM   #13
(female)

define_truth HB User

Trixibel: Zinc deficiency has been ruled out but that was a great suggestion and it wasn't even something that was suggested until about a year or so ago. Thank you

Rockie24: It's funny that you would bring up the toothpaste thing. My doctor thought the same thing. I think he thought that I was swallowing some of it and so that was causing the problem. So I stopped using it at night and no change at all. It would have been so amazing if that had been it... although I must admit that I'm quite happy that I can still brush my teeth at night with toothpaste.

Jaysea: I'm really sorry that you have to deal with the same problem. I really wish that switching to a night shift was a possible solution for me, but I'm still a student and need to go to school. I also want to get into social work and there aren't very many opportunities for night work there. I'm glad that you found a solution that works for you though

Old 03-05-2007, 08:21 PM   #14
(female)

AmyW HB User

What about an inner ear disorder or something neurological? There's something similar going on with me and I feel sick when I wake up in the morning too. I'm experiencing dizziness and a weird throbbing sensation too, which I didn't see listed among your symptoms.

Old 03-06-2007, 02:33 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Trixibel HB User

what about B6 deficiency? I have this great book about nutrition and it says that people who feel sick and don't want to eat in the mornings can be helped by extra B6. Might be worth a try? Another way of knowing if you're B6 deficient is whether you remember your dreams in the morning or not? Apparently you should be able to remember your dreams in the morning and if you can't it can be a sign of B6 deficiency.

Closed Thread