It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2007, 05:44 AM   #1
(female)

tak HB User
I didn't put this in the weight loss forum because I don't exactly want to lose...

weight, but I do want to become healthier by changing my diet slightly and exercising better, etc.

I've always been pretty skinny (underweight) but I still want to tone up my legs, and my arms feel flabby. I'm not that aerobicly active because I don't play a sport for school or anything (I'm 17 years old).

Anyways, what I started doing was trying to get some aerobic activity even in the winter when all I do is go to school, go shopping, and go out and pretty much do nothing. So I started using the exercise bike.

Here's my dilemma; first of all, exercise: is doing more miles at an easier level (easier to pedal) better, or is doing less at a harder level better? I'm a girl, so I've always heard to "tone" muscle you do easier at a larger amount. I don't want to actually gain any visible muscle because that'd be ugly on me.

Also, I've been weight training where you lay on your stomach and lift the weights with the back of your leg to tone the muscle underneath my leg because that's where they're fat. THE PROBLEM IS, my friend told me that by doing this I'm just going to make my legs bigger because muscle is bigger than fat, and I'm going to "bulk them up", but I JUST WANT TO TONE THEM. Doesn't toning tighten them up/reduce fat and make them smaller?!? My friend says it'll make them bigger.

I'm trying to portion control/eat healthier, but I don't want to change my diet drastically because I always hear "oh, if you always eat candy and you're okay, don't stop, because your body will get used to not having those sugar calories if you take them out, and then if you ever want candy again, your metabolism won't do as well at burning those calories" or whatever, like you shouldn't change your diet THAT MUCH. I'm so confused. I just wish I knew what I was doing!

My worst dilemma is the weight training. Even if I don't change my diet, I really want to be in shape. Should I stick to aerobic exercise ONLY, or should I do the weight training to TONE my legs? I don't want them to get bigger! I just want them to be not flabby. I want to eliminate the fat. Plus I heard more muscle = better metabolism, so I just want to be in shape. What should I do??? Thank you so much

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-04-2007, 06:06 AM   #2
(female)

tak HB User
Re: I didn't put this in the weight loss forum because I don't exactly want to lose..

Also (one more question), what's the healthiest breakfast to have? I really wish I knew--I'm never hungry in the morning, so I'll eat anything. I just want to jumpstart my metabolsim and give myself energy for the day. I never crave anything in the morning, so I'll eat anything--whatever's healthiest. Does anyone know? Top five healthiest breakfasts? lol

Old 03-04-2007, 07:35 AM   #3
(male)

ferro HB User
Re: I didn't put this in the weight loss forum because I don't exactly want to lose..

It sounds to me that what you want to do is both weight training and cardio exercise. You don't have to worry about getting too muscular, that won't happen unless you hit the weights hard, and add supplements to your diet. You said you want to tone up, so both aerobic (cardio) and anaerobic (weight training) will help you to that end.

One thing you should remember is that you cannot spot reduce. What that means is that you can't weight train one problem area to reduce the fat there. Fat will come off somewhat uniformly as you burn more calories than you take in. Of course we are all genetically programmed to store fat in certain areas, but still, the only way to reduce it is to burn calories through exercise, and to reduce the amount of calories you consume through diet.

As far as what you should eat for breakfast, well the good news is that there are plenty of healthy and delicious choices. Eggs are always a healthy choice. Of course the whites are healthier than the yolks, but there's no harm in eating the yolks sometimes too. Granola, cereal and yogurt are good choices too. Just make sure that the granola and cereal are made with whole grains and/or oats, instead of white flour. Of course mix in some fresh fruit with your breakfast too.

You sound like you're on the right track to physical fitness. Good luck!

Closed Thread