It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2007, 05:23 AM   #1
(female)

ItisOkToCry HB User
Question How long does Internal Bleeding take to show up

Car at high speed hits the rear end of my car that is stationary in traffic queue.

Obvious injuries neck, back and hand pain.

However, can there be internal bleeding that is not showing up?

What test should be carried out to check for internal bleeding?

Thanks for your responses in advance.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-13-2007, 08:59 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: How long does Internal Bleeding take to show up

sorry you got slammed.were you wearing a seat belt at the time or did your chest hit the steering wheel?if you were actually wearing a seatbelt,did you have that lap belt actually over the lap where it is supposed to be or was it sitting up againgst the lower abdomen like the majority of people just end up doing but really really can cause some problems if this is not on the actual lap instead?this part of the whole seat belt process,people seem to not notice or care til they end up with deceleration injuries to their bladder caused only because the lap belt was not actually ON the lap like it is ment to be.
do you feel actual real pain anywhere in the abdominal areas or the chest wall,other than just an overall soreness or acheyness?were you actually seen at an ER and fully checked out post accidcent?i have worked many an MVA during my time on the FD,and have seen very specific types of injuries caused by very specific things over the years.some just come with the territory,like possible deceleration injuries that are caused by where a person has that seat belt on their body upon impact.steering wheel injuries can happento the chest wall as well if you are not actually protected by that seat belt,along with head injuries too.were you actually Dxed with any specific injuries to the body parts you mentioned?how long ago was the actual accident?

internal bleeding and actually finding out about it really depend on alot of factors.it all kind of depends on what possibly may have been injured and how the blood flows thru that particular area.after some time has passed,you would see bruising somewhere on the abdominal area either at the front or the back as the blood can pool in the back when you are lying down at night.you would most likely also have some pretty severe abdominal pain since blood outside of its vessel walls and free flowing into the abdominal cavity somewhere is usually irritating to some degree,so you would eventually feel some pretty acute pain.it is really hard to say actually whether or not you could have internal bleeding without a hands on exam by a knowledgeable doc.palpating the abdominal wall is really key here.they check for rigidity and tenderness upon palpation,check your vitals and blood counts,things like that really need to be done in order to really know for sure.

but i am thinking if this happened longer than say yesterday,you are most likely not bleeding anywhere internally,but it should always really be ruled out by a doc who treats trauma anyways just to be sure.certain organs can become vulnerable and possibly lacerated upon impact,so you really should follow up just to be on the safe side.the kinetic force involved in most crashes can casue some unseen problems that just need to be ruled out for certain.if you are posting this question here,you are indeed a bit worried,sooo,to ease your mind,go see your doc and have yourself completely checked out.and they can double check your other injuries.let me know just how things come out okay?take care,FB

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-19-2007, 12:37 PM   #3
(female)

ItisOkToCry HB User
Re: How long does Internal Bleeding take to show up

Thanks FB,

I was using the seat belt correctly. In all the shock etc. I did not remember that my tummy had hit the steering wheel.

Now that I am bruising easily in the abdomen . . . I had blood work done for a complete blood count to find out what is happening. Will let you know the results when I get them.

Again thanks.

The whole thing is causing me to develop essential hypertension.

Bye

Closed Thread