It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2007, 05:48 PM   #1
(female)

Karazzy HB User
Question White Spots On Shoulders??

I will say I posted this on the "skin" forum but have had no replies all day so decided to take my question over here to General Health.

My 21yo DS spent one week in the blazing, hot Miami sun the week of March 4th. He and students from his college opted to spend their Spring Break helping and working for the Habitat for Humanity program in FL.

Coming from the Northeast, we have not had intense sun since August. DS came home March 11th with a sun burn all over and on one shoulder had what appeared to be all this white round spots.

Today, March 18th, he calls me from college to say these spots are still all over his shoulders.

Does anyone have any idea what these spots are?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-18-2007, 07:06 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Seraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB User
Re: White Spots On Shoulders??

I would say that he has always had these spots, like freckles in reverse, but they are only showing up now against the sunburnt skin around them.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-18-2007, 09:17 PM   #3
(female)

Karazzy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seraph48 View Post
I would say that he has always had these spots, like freckles in reverse, but they are only showing up now against the sunburnt skin around them.
REALLY!!!! Hmmm, that is interesting. My DS always tans, I mean always. He has brown hair, jet black eyes and medium skin coloring but this trip in March and him being in Miami and in the intense sun, his shoulders came home sun BURNT. Like red that I have never seen on him. He had put tons of ALOE on.
But he did call today (after being home a whole week) concerned that they are still on his shoulders.

Old 03-18-2007, 09:36 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Seraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB User

Oh OK, not reverse freckles then? Are they blotches or just little spots? I have some white freckles (don't know if you would call them freckles) on me, when I used to tan, they would annoy me. Now I can barely see them.

Old 03-18-2007, 09:43 PM   #5
(female)

Karazzy HB User

Quote:
Oh OK, not reverse freckles then? Are they blotches or just little spots? I have some white freckles (don't know if you would call them freckles) on me, when I used to tan, they would annoy me. Now I can barely see them.

It was really odd...they are white perfect circle dots on his sunburnt left shoulder....not anywhere else....

Me, being the paranoid mom, is thinking skin cancer.....?

I told him to go to Health Services on campus tomorrow! Will see if he gets there or not!!

Old 03-18-2007, 09:49 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

It is aliens, like crop circles obviously. Odd tho, was there anything on him, like blobs of sand or lotion or something like that? Can't see it being skin cancer.

Old 03-18-2007, 10:11 PM   #7
(female)

Karazzy HB User

Quote:
It is aliens, like crop circles obviously. Odd tho, was there anything on him, like blobs of sand or lotion or something like that? Can't see it being skin cancer.
Ahh....Seraph, thanks for all the replies....yup, that is a good one, I think I will agree with you on ALIENS!!!

And they are not even blisters that are popping in either...odd for sure!!!

Just a lovely collection of white round spots the size of like quarters all on a area on his left shoulder.....

btw: he spent 3 months this summer on the Island of Crete with his college and tanned nicely with no sunburn!!!

Old 03-18-2007, 11:02 PM   #8
(female)

gymaholic HB User

Sounds like "sun spots" caused by a fungus called Tinea versicolor. It is a fungus that lives in the skin of almost all adults, but it can become visible by reducing the skin's ability to produce melatonin (the skin pigment that causes a tan). One of the factors that can cause it to become visible is high humidity (like they have in Florida). Look it up on the internet. It is perfectly harmless and treatable. Good Luck!

Old 03-19-2007, 06:10 AM   #9
(female)

Karazzy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymaholic View Post
Sounds like "sun spots" caused by a fungus called Tinea versicolor. It is a fungus that lives in the skin of almost all adults, but it can become visible by reducing the skin's ability to produce melatonin (the skin pigment that causes a tan). One of the factors that can cause it to become visible is high humidity (like they have in Florida). Look it up on the internet. It is perfectly harmless and treatable. Good Luck!

WOW...thank you, I will look that up!

Old 03-19-2007, 06:15 AM   #10
(female)

tracygirl HB User
Smile Re: White Spots On Shoulders??

I definitely agree with Gymaholic..........tinea versicolor. Easily treatable with over the counter creams............one's use for jock itch or athaletes foot....the spots do take some time to return to their normal colour though.

Old 03-19-2007, 05:26 PM   #11
(female)

RIGIRL HB User

I Use To Get Sun Spots Real Bad All Over From The Sun. I Also Came Back From Vacation Once With Bad Sunburn On My Shoulders And After It Healed I Had White Spots.

Old 03-19-2007, 05:37 PM   #12
(female)

UncMom57 HB User

Oral treatment for tinea versicolor is simpler. A single dose of ketoconazole (brand name Nizoral) or five daily doses of itraconazole (brand name Sporanox) are two therapies your doctor can prescribe. Also using selsun blue shampoo to wash the area will help. I would suggest you make an appt with a dermatologist.

Old 03-19-2007, 09:49 PM   #13
(female)

Karazzy HB User

WOW, many thanks to all for the replies. He is away at college in another state. And of course today another busy day and he did not go to Health Services. I will tell him to at least go buy some Selsum Blue and try that for now.

Closed Thread