It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2007, 06:50 AM   #1
(female)

Shmolissa HB User
Can you be immune to chicken pox?

I am 32 years old and never had chicken pox. My son had them and I didn't get a spot. Is it possible to be immune to them?

I ask this because I work in a medical clinic where children are being brought in with children are being brought in with chicken pox. It would be really inconvenient to catch them now. Should I worry?

Last edited by Shmolissa; 03-19-2007 at 06:51 AM.

Old 03-19-2007, 07:00 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Seraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB User
Re: Can you be immune to chicken pox?

My younger brother went through at least three outbreaks with never a spot. So, yes it is quite possible. More likely, tho, is that you can have a minimal (subclinical) dose of it, and not even notice. Lucky, huh?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-19-2007, 08:45 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mom22greatkids HB User

You can get your titers checked. That is what I did because I didn't know if I ever got it and my mother couldn't recall. You really need to do this, because the virus is worse as you get older and if you plan on being pregnant again it could be dangerous to your unborn baby.

Old 03-19-2007, 04:09 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Trixibel HB User

Do get checked - don't presume. I got chicken pox when I was 30 and i've never been so ill. I had to take this special medicine that cost $240 and stop breastfeeding my baby for a week. I was desperate. It was awful. I had to knock myself out with phenergan for a week because it was so itchy. I had chicken pox EVERYWHERE and a friend of mine got one on her tonsil and in her lung. It is TERRIBLE as an adult, so make sure you're immune!!!!

Old 03-20-2007, 08:30 AM   #5
(female)

BumpkinPumpkin HB User

I got the pox in my 30's but it was a very mild case. So, mild, the Dr. wasn't sure if it was the chicken pox or not. I only found out for sure when I was tested and it had come up that I had them. I would get checked and if it doesn't show that you are imune or that you have had them, then you'll know that you are immune....so far! Good Luck!

Old 03-24-2007, 06:16 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Madam Captain HB User

I got chicken pox when I was about 21 and I was really sick. I had pox everywhere, including in my mouth and down my throat. I remember having a high temperature for over a week. I had never felt so sick in my life - it was awful. When I was about 2, my Mum knew some other kids with chicken pox (they were close friends of the family) so she put me to bed with them but I never got them. My sister also had chicken pox as an adult and she was really sick too.

Closed Thread