It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2007, 10:50 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

brainchild HB User
CSF leak questions

This is just a quick questions as I am curious and a bit confused- when a CSF leak accurs through the nose, how does it escape when the brain is encased by the skull and also by protective membranes? Surely there would need to be a break in the skull AND in the membranes just above the nose for a leak to occur? But what would the chances of that be?? Especially with 'spontneous' leaks??

Also does the brain produce mucus as well? For example, if there was a gap producing a CSF leak which leaks through the nose/down the throat then could mucus in the throat also be from the brain/membranes or is that not possible?

Thanks!

*confused*

Old 03-21-2007, 09:13 PM   #2
(male)

ILiveForMyKIDS HB User
Re: CSF leak questions

First off, RELAX. Fretting won't get you where you want to go. I'm not sure why you believe someone is losing CSF. From your description it doesn't seem that.
"Also does the brain produce mucus as well? For example, if there was a gap producing a CSF leak which leaks through the nose/down the throat then could mucus in the throat also be from the brain/membranes or is that not possible?" No and no.

If your lost as little as 10cc of CSF your life would be in jeporady. The brain is very picky. 1st symptom SEVERE headache. 2nd symptom more head ache. 3rd symtom. death. This is very unlikely. Best of luck to the curious cat.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-22-2007, 06:09 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

you wont actually die from a CSF leak since most would be corrected wayyy before that would ever actually occur.but i have never ever heard of having an actual spontaneous CSF leak from someones nose or any other place,like the ears.and i was a medic for fourteen years.in all cases i have worked that a patient actually had any CSF leakage(thru nose or ears),it has always been from trauma,always.you can also have leakage within the skull space and also the spinal cord area but these would be procedure/surgical/trauma related and a complication of in most cases.one interesting way of actually differentiating CSF from just mucus or waterey fluid that comes out of an orafice is by taking like a 4x4 gauze pad and catching some of that fliud then wait about a minute or so,if CSF is actually present,you would in almost every case,actually see a 'halo' effect take place around the original drop? it takes on kind of a glowey,very very light yellowish cast(kind of hard to actually really explain what it looks like but you would know it if you saw it).this is mostly because actual CSF is kind of got like some sort of oily type of base to it,it seperates from anything like water based substances.

i think its pretty safe to say that you would not actually have any sort of a spontaneous type leakage issue going on or like the above poster stated,you WOULD have one heck of a seriously bad headache,believe me.hope this eases your mind.FB

Old 03-22-2007, 12:50 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

brainchild HB User
Thumbs up Re: CSF leak questions

Hi guys,

Thanks for your replies, they have eased my mind a lot! This is what happens when you read some information and get it muddled up I supposed!!

Your replies were great though thank you!!

Laura

Old 05-11-2007, 08:05 PM   #5
(female)

filenia HB User

Hey Laura,

Well I see things haven't changed much huh? Me neither...glad and sad to see your still on the boards. I thought I would check in since my I have intercranial pressure going on today. Actually since Spring hit, I have been terrible. The sensations in my sinuses head, pressure that moves around, my eyes are all wacky ..Oh yeah...nothings changed here.

I was actually thinking that I would go and have a CT done, but then I will feel better, and think I am okay and then it comes back. I've been researching psuedo tumor cerebri and I am convinced I have something like that going on. The more I think about it the worse I feel. Then I will have a good day, feel good, and not think about it at all. Again, the burning questions.....Do I not think about my symptoms, because the pressure isnt there, or do I think about first and bring on the pressure.. Anyway as you can see I am in the same boat as you. Thinking the worst, feeling crappy, headaches....drinking alcohol occasionally makes me feel better/worse, with the headaches. It varies. Today it rained...my head felt like a ballon ready to pop, with sensations..etc, and then it stopped raining, it dried out kind of quickly, and I could feel the weight of my head getting lighter and less pressure....weirdest thing...felt pretty good afterward though. God, I just want a normal life!

Anyway just checking in with you....sorry to hear we continue to be the "same".
Enjoy the weekend!

Closed Thread