It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2007, 09:01 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

*Versailles* HB User
Unhappy Shoulder Injury Not Healing...

Hello all,

I injured my shoulder at work about three weeks ago. I injured it while lifting something extremely heavy, then dropped it and caught it with my right arm. I went to the doctor within a couple days of the injury (I wanted to wait and see if it was going to heal up on its own maybe...stupid, I know).

Anyway, I went to the doctor and he said it seemed like a bad AC strain...with some possible tearing. I started physical therapy about a week ago. I understand that these injuries take a long time to heal...but it is not improving AT ALL. The doctor said an achy pain is normal until I get my strength back, but I am also having stabbing pain. I am not only feeling pain in the AC (front), but also in the shoulder blade and top of shoulder. Everything makes it hurt...even just the movement of walking makes it occasionally pop and cause excrutiating pain.

The doctor said this would start to get better as I get stronger. My muscles in the arm are more toned than they ever have been...yet the symptoms continue.

Any advice on this? I go back to the doctor on Tuesday..but I wanted to try and get advice here too...maybe from someone who experienced something like this?

Thanks,
Vers

Old 03-25-2007, 04:58 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

music12 HB User
Re: Shoulder Injury Not Healing...

I have torn my rotator cuff twice and both times it was a long time healing, even with PT. Are you also taking an anti-infammatory? That will help as well and you can take use either Ibuprofen or altenative supplements.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-28-2007, 07:02 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

*Versailles* HB User

thanks for the response Ballady,

The shoulder has recently gotten worse. I nearly passed out today from the shooting pain... :/ I take more than the full dose allowable in one day of the ibuprofen...and I'm still in agony. The doctor tried giving me a stronger medication, but it made me throw up. They currently have me on a TENS unit...but it's not helping either. I'm just really in excrutiating pain...and it seems to be getting worse. I am very frustrated....

Old 03-29-2007, 02:48 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

ICC HB UserICC HB UserICC HB User

Dear *Versailles*----I injured my shoulder neck, back, knee and ankle lifting at work. All Dr. said the pain in my shoulder was coming from my neck.WRONG! MRI shows an impinged rotator cuff with bone spurs. It's been almost 1 year . HAd two injections and the PT for my neck actually made my shoulder worse. Am having surgery the end of next month to remove part of the acromium bone impinging all the nerves in my rotator cuff adn the bone spurs remoeved. The surgeon made it clear to me that until he gets in there he doesn't know what else he'll find. Have bicep tendonitis in that arm also and he suspects he might find a torn bicep tendon adn possibly a labrum tear. Theydo give it a long time as some of these injuries take a year to heal. My back, knee and ankle are better, not great but better and my neck being the worse is getting better through PT. I think you need an MRI done before you go any further.

ICC

Old 03-29-2007, 03:22 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

music12 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Versailles*;2***776
thanks for the response Ballady,

The shoulder has recently gotten worse. I nearly passed out today from the shooting pain... :/ I take more than the full dose allowable in one day of the ibuprofen...and I'm still in agony. The doctor tried giving me a stronger medication, but it made me throw up. They currently have me on a TENS unit...but it's not helping either. I'm just really in excrutiating pain...and it seems to be getting worse. I am very frustrated....
I don't remember - did you have an MRI? Have you been doing PT? I'm sorry to hear of your increased pain. Shooting pains I think of a nerve pinched. Do you think you need more drastic measures now to address this?

All the best!

Old 10-07-2007, 02:28 PM   #6
(male)

Rocketman1971 HB User

Hi There,
Boy To Here What Your Going Thrue It Brings Me Back To The Begining Of My Nightmare. Well I Have Been Going Thru Hell For The Last Three Years With My Left Shoulder. I've Had Three Surgers So Far And I Feel That I'm Not Any Better Than I Was When I Was First Injured. I Also Was Moving Something Hevy At Work When I Hert My Shoulder. So On Top Of Beeing In Pain All The Time I 've Got To Go Thrue Workers Comp (fun).
To Here That Your Having Problems With The Simplest Thing Like Walking I Had The Same Thing Going On. I Have Found Some Releaf With Putting My Sling On And Anather Brace To Titely Sinch Your Arm Close To Your Body It Kind Of Made The Pain A Little More Bareable. I Geuss That Really The Only Thing That Has Been Somwhat Comforting Is The Use Of Ice All The Time Heat Dose Not Help Me At All. The Drs. That I've Had Encuraged Pt I've Had About 800 Hrs Of It So Far It Hasent Helped At All. And If Thay Tell You To Do Pool Pt And You Have Pain When Your Doing It Stop It Is Not Helping. Do You Have Truble Getting Comfortable When Trying To Go To Sleep??? I Have To Put A Couple Of Small Pillows Under My Arm And My Wife Has To Lay A Certen Way Just For Me To Sleep..
Well I Don't Want You To Think That All Your Shoulder Problems Will Be This Way For As Long As Mine But Just To Let You Know That Your Not The Only One In Shoulder Pain!!! So Hope That You Get Better Soon
So Long For Know Rocketman

Old 10-07-2007, 04:07 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

butrfligirl28 HB Userbutrfligirl28 HB User

Try another pain med while you search for answers. Lortab or Vicodin makes me puke, and it is the #1 prescribed med. There are many others though that I can tolerate, and you probably can too. Talk to your doctor. Just because one pain med did that to you, doesn't mean others will.

Demand an MRI. Know what's going on before continuing PT. Good Luck!

Closed Thread