It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2007, 08:48 AM   #1
(female)

fromthesouth2 HB User
What is the difference between dizziness,ligh-headedness and nausea?

When someone asks me, are you dizzy or lightheaded, I don't know what to say. What is the difference? I also thought that dizziness/lightheadedness also tied in with nausea. Can someone explain this to me a bit better? Thanks!

Last edited by fromthesouth2; 04-02-2007 at 08:48 AM.

Old 04-02-2007, 08:55 AM   #2
(male)

nhemi2 HB User
Re: What is the difference between dizziness,ligh-headedness and nausea?

Dizziness generally is referring to true vertigo in which you are standing still and you perceive the world to be spinning around you. In lightheadedness, you feel like you are about to faint. Nausea is associated with either one of these symptoms.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-02-2007, 11:04 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

dustoffkid HB Userdustoffkid HB User

Nausea is the feeling that you might vomit, or are about to. It can be associated with the dizziness or lightheadedness. It can also be associated with tummy problems, like vomiting and diarrhea.

Old 04-02-2007, 02:27 PM   #4
(female)

fromthesouth2 HB User

I guess I feel kind of off, almost to where if I turn to look at something, I don't focus it right away and I don't feel balanced at times.

Old 04-02-2007, 02:31 PM   #5
(female)

prettypixie HB User

my cousin has exactly what you explained, i think its vertigo. when she looked behind her she goes very dizzy and feels sick. i think her's was caused because she used to be an air-hostess and apparently this can unbalance the wax in your ears = leading to vertigo. i could be totally wrong, but go to your doctors and tell him/her that you feel dizzy/sick when you look behind you, they'll know exactly what it is and then treat it

x

Old 04-02-2007, 02:53 PM   #6
(female)

fromthesouth2 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettypixie View Post
my cousin has exactly what you explained, i think its vertigo. when she looked behind her she goes very dizzy and feels sick. i think her's was caused because she used to be an air-hostess and apparently this can unbalance the wax in your ears = leading to vertigo. i could be totally wrong, but go to your doctors and tell him/her that you feel dizzy/sick when you look behind you, they'll know exactly what it is and then treat it

x
I did call the Doc. they just wanted to call in some anti-nausea patches. In otherwards, treat the symptom and not the problem. I quit taking Cipro today and wondering if that med is the cause of it. I don't know.

Old 04-03-2007, 06:46 PM   #7
(female)

tina2367 HB User

hi,
I am a newbie on here and too alot of my symtoms and REALLY need help and to know if anyone knows what it can be i just don't believe it's only panic and anxiety attacks it has to me more. There are so many pysical things i feel. Where do i begin. I get lightheaded all the time and dizzy especially if i have to be with people to long outside my home. I am nauseate all the time even though i don't vomit. My eyes sting and burn,my heart races and feels like it's going to come out of my chest, I am SOO emotional,I am easily upset, I always feel like i am dying, I going to sleep and wake up frightened to death, My stomach hurts like lower around both kindneys i was back pain constantly especially if i am like trying to do the dishes, I get dizzy and feel like i am going to pass out all the time, my breasts hurt like heck, sex is so PAINFUL and i always feel like i am going to pass out while having it and never wake up again... I am SO SCARED of dying.my bones ache especially if i bump something. i feel like my legs and neck is going to fall off and sometimes like i just can not support my head anymore.I feel like i'm unable to breathe,my heart will beat so hard and fast if i open my mouth i can hear it,i am either never sleeping or always sleeping,i have a dry mouth always and sore thoart, (I do have very very very BAD teeth). I have dry hair that does not grow and brittle nails, i get shooting pains in my whole body and very bad headaches,i have i feeling of doom all the time, i am always stressed.I am not able to lose weight no matter what i do and if i move fast i can sometimes feel like a huge bump in my right lower ab.
whew i think i covered everything the reason the list is so long is i am so hoping someone CAN help me. I have been to 6 different hospitals and doctors noone knows what to say other then they find nothing and send me home.
I am so scared that i am going to die my husband just says relax and rest you'll be okay and leaves me in a closed room without even comeing back to check on me,what if i stop breathing then. I am scared. I need help PLEASE.
If anyone can help me so i can be healthy or at least torerate this illness please do so i have 2 small grls 13, and 4 and want to be the mom they need and deserve.
thank you,
tina2367

Old 04-03-2007, 07:00 PM   #8
(female)

fromthesouth2 HB User

Tina,

What blood tests have they done on you? I'm no Dr. but to me it sounds like you have major panic and anxiety and that in itself can be scarey. Take a deep breath....blow out slowly and try and calm down. I have anxiety too and I always worry about my dizziness or lightheadedness which ever it is, and I start thinking that the Dr's are missing something and send me home. We are our own enemy sometimes. I don't know what all you have been tested for, it could be thyroid is out of whack, hormones could be out of whack, potassium could be low, I just don't know what all you have been tested for. I don't know your age. So many possibilities. Maybe if you give us more info.

Old 04-03-2007, 08:22 PM   #9
(female)

tina2367 HB User

hi,
sorry just getting sooo scared i just turned 40 in feb this all started when i was 33 but it is getting soo bad now. I was in the hospital for 5 days and every test under the sun was done, including the cancer,ultrasounds all the blood work full body x-rays and mris i just don't understand and i am scared they missed something bad. I mean all these things and nothing doesn't make sense. I lost my mother when i was 33 and it was a terrible blow..very unexpected the doctor gave her the wrong meds and she never woke up in the morning. I called her the morning she died and she made me promise to call her that night and i did promise....but, i got busy and never called...This killed me big time. Then we bought a house that year my 15 yr old daughter got pregant then i got pregnant then her again, all of them livewith me including my daughter's 33 yr old b/f which by the way is only 2 yrs younger then my husband he's 35. I will of been married 15 yr the 24th of this month. Oh by the way my daughter is 22 i married her father (not real one) when she was six. Sorry want to make sure i give you enough now. So i have a husband 35, my daughter;s b/f 33 , my daughter 22, my other daughter13,my little one 5....By the way while i was preganant for her is when i had myu first attack i thought i was having a heart attack. then my grandchildren 6,and 4 all living with me .................If you need more please let me know and if you can help ...THANK YOU VERY MUCH AHEAD OF TIME....I am so tired of being sick and always crying.................................. .tina2367

Old 04-03-2007, 08:43 PM   #10
(female)

fromthesouth2 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tina2367 View Post
hi,
sorry just getting sooo scared i just turned 40 in feb this all started when i was 33 but it is getting soo bad now. I was in the hospital for 5 days and every test under the sun was done, including the cancer,ultrasounds all the blood work full body x-rays and mris i just don't understand and i am scared they missed something bad. I mean all these things and nothing doesn't make sense. I lost my mother when i was 33 and it was a terrible blow..very unexpected the doctor gave her the wrong meds and she never woke up in the morning. I called her the morning she died and she made me promise to call her that night and i did promise....but, i got busy and never called...This killed me big time. Then we bought a house that year my 15 yr old daughter got pregant then i got pregnant then her again, all of them livewith me including my daughter's 33 yr old b/f which by the way is only 2 yrs younger then my husband he's 35. I will of been married 15 yr the 24th of this month. Oh by the way my daughter is 22 i married her father (not real one) when she was six. Sorry want to make sure i give you enough now. So i have a husband 35, my daughter;s b/f 33 , my daughter 22, my other daughter13,my little one 5....By the way while i was preganant for her is when i had myu first attack i thought i was having a heart attack. then my grandchildren 6,and 4 all living with me .................If you need more please let me know and if you can help ...THANK YOU VERY MUCH AHEAD OF TIME....I am so tired of being sick and always crying.................................. .tina2367
Okay, this is all making some sense now. First of all hitting 40 can be tramatic for some people, it was for me and then losing a loved one prior to that can take a long time to come to grips with for some people thus leading to anxiety, anxiety leading to physical problems and problems that you think are there that really aren't. Then you have a teen who seems maybe a bit out of control (I have one too) They think they know everything and they do their own thing and boom, now she's pregnant. That ties into stress and anxiety, as if you don't have enough going on, now you get pregnant and things just keep going on. Your panic attacks/anxiety attacks are warrented because of what happened to your Mother. I have very high anxiety when it comes to Dr's because it seems that they screw up more than not. I had a kidney stone problem, ended up in the ER twice in 4 days, admitted the second time, they doped me up so badly that I didn't think I was going to come out of it. They kept giving me too much meds in the Iv and I was getting sick all over the place and the list goes on. This just happened within the last week and a half. So, I understand what you are saying. You don't feel like you have control of things and that can be scarey too. The only thing I can say, is find a hobby and get some time for you. If you have to go to the Dr. always take husband with you so that he can ask questions and remember answers. No that some of your circumstances are out of your hands and don't try to fix everything. I know it's easier said than done, but I have gotten involved in reading scriptures and daily prayers and it has helped me ALOT! I have come along way than what I used to be. They say that anxiety can happen instantly over an occurance or it may take years before anxiety hits out of no where which was my case. take it easy, take time for yourself and try to relax. Hope this helps.

Old 04-03-2007, 08:50 PM   #11
(female)

tina2367 HB User

Hi,
Thank you for replying so fast.... It helps but it is unbelieveable how anxiety can cause all these psyical symtom yet they say it's all in you head...just doesn't make sense . i have tried so hard not to worry or stress out just never can. I worry over every thing from the weather to the bills to the kids to the sickness to well you name it. I do pray and alot ...I believe in GOD i am just not ready to go to him yet and leave my family although every night when i lay down i feel like i will...how do you stop this??????????? I am going insane.....tina22367

Old 04-04-2007, 07:08 AM   #12
(female)

fromthesouth2 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tina2367 View Post
Hi,
Thank you for replying so fast.... It helps but it is unbelieveable how anxiety can cause all these psyical symtom yet they say it's all in you head...just doesn't make sense . i have tried so hard not to worry or stress out just never can. I worry over every thing from the weather to the bills to the kids to the sickness to well you name it. I do pray and alot ...I believe in GOD i am just not ready to go to him yet and leave my family although every night when i lay down i feel like i will...how do you stop this??????????? I am going insane.....tina22367

How do you stop it? Keep praying. God has the perfect answer...in his time will he give it to you. In the meantime, do things that you like to do. Get a hobby, go out for walks and clear your mind, watch YOUR favorite television shows. As silly as it sounds, I watch alot of Nick at Night because they are the old shows that I (we, I'm not that much older than you) grew up with and that makes me feel safe for some reason, so I watch it all the time or I have the game show channel on, that's a happy place for me too. You just need to find out things that you enjoy to do, to watch on television, to read, to go, even to eat and do them. When you start feeling good, you'll get in a routine of doing all those good things and then the stresses won't seem so bad. Don't worry about things so much. Trust God to provide because He will if you honestly believe that He will. There is a WONDERFUL book by Joel Osteen called "Daily Readings From Your Best Life Now" and he touches on alot of life's everyday situations and very simply puts it how we need to deal with it. It has really helped me out ALOT!! I have found things that make me happy and now, some of them are a part of my everyday routine. I have learned that worrying asbout things only harms me...no one else. I suffer physically and emotionally and I still have my times because once you have anxiety, it never goes away, it's only controlled. It can pop up when you least expect that it would because it's a delayed reaction to something, but, it's all how you deal with it. Sometimes, I deal with it not so good because I think that something is terribly wrong with my health and other times, I just tell myself, it's okay, this is only anxiety I can deal with it. One of the biggest thing in coping with it is getting enough sleep! If you don't get enough sleep then your body doesn't function like it should and you are more on edge whether you realize it or not. Stress does equal physical illness. You just need to train your thoughts in a different direction. Your thoughts are a very powerful thing! I have this dizziness/lightheadedness that I deal with from time to time. It can be from a very heavy astigmatism from one of my eyes, it can be from allergies, it can be from STRESS/ANXIETY, it can be from an inner ear problem, TMJ, etc...and if I want to stay out of a doctors office, then I have to try to deal with it, figure it out and go on. I was diagnosed with anxiety too and all the doctors want to do is medicate the symptom instead of healing the problem. I don't take meds for it. I am simply trying to deal with what the root of the problem is. I hope you start feeling better! Things usually aren't as bad as they seem. You have had alot to deal with. Take one situation at a time and decide what you are going to do to make the situation better. Are you taking vitamins at all? That makes a big difference too!

Last edited by fromthesouth2; 04-04-2007 at 07:09 AM.

Old 04-04-2007, 09:46 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

Just a quick question, but why is your daughter's 33 year old boyfriend living with you? If you are trying to get rid of stres...start off by having him out. Not only that. HOw ols id your daughter? Is she responisble for her own children? Your grandchildren? If you are having issuings with your own health, your daughter needs to start by taking care of herself, her children and her boyfriend.....

For you to get well you have to simplify what is in your life and what is a stress causer....

Old 04-04-2007, 06:47 PM   #14
Veteran
(male)

michael178 HB User

there are small bones in the ear that can get misaligned and cause balance problems. vertigo is when the room starts spinning around you, accompanied by nausea, Dizziness is a feeling of being dizzy. The room is stable but you are not.

Old 04-04-2007, 09:14 PM   #15
(female)

tina2367 HB User

Hi,
I am trying and thank you all for caring....I am trying to be positive and happy but everyday i start out sick to my stomach and a headache or some ache be it tummy or legs or mouth or back...everyday something hurts bad.........I am trying to get rid of stress easier said then done. I just don't think the doctor's got this one right...there has to be something else wrong.

Closed Thread